SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

New toy for the track : Camera Mount

7K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  KillerB 
#1 ·
Me and 23109VC were trying to come up with some camera mount ideas for our tack events. I tried a few of them out and found one I really like.

http://cinemasupplies.stores.y....html

It's like an erector set. Nice materials and it seems to grip really well. Each suction cup has a built in pump that has an indicator to tell you when the unit is loosing grip 30 minutes prior to breaking loose. I was able to lock one down at the supply store and lift the entire table with out it loosing grip. The table had to be around a hundred pounds…which is much more than the average cam recorder. It works on the body of the car too.

Here is the kit.

Main mounting suction has a lot of holding power:

Backed up by 2 smaller suctions:

I tried a few configurations to get some pictures up:

I like this configuration the best:

I think I saw some longer rods for sale at Home Depot. There about the same diameter, but a little longer so that I can attach the main suction to the moon roof with the 2 smaller ones on the rear side window. Overall, it's the best kit I've seen for mounting my camera.

Anyways…thought I post it for someone looking for something like this….

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: New toy for the track : Camera Mount (KillerB)

now that IS a mount!

Will they allow non-bolted down camera rigs? I've seen the bar type that is secured to headrests and such, do you think there will be any issue at the track?

#4 ·
Re: New toy for the track : Camera Mount (Chris@Swedespeed)

Quote, originally posted by Chris@Swedespeed »
now that IS a mount!

Will they allow non-bolted down camera rigs? I've seen the bar type that is secured to headrests and such, do you think there will be any issue at the track?

Yes...your not getting that one off the window with out releasing the pumps. The guy at the shop joked around and asked me to remove the suction from the table with all my might....I pick the table up with out loosing grip. It's as close to a bolt on as you can get.

I saw a real nice home built at the Audi event. He bolted a plate to the rear panel and then had 2 legs that bolt down on the back of the front seat rails. It look like to much garage work and it seem like you had to spend some time before and after the event with installing or removing it.

Me and Sean were basically looking for something that held well and could be easily put into place or removed.

#5 ·
Re: New toy for the track :

Also, the suction will hold up from 30 minutes to 2 days at full streignth. A minumal of 1 hour (30 minutes at full grip...then the red indicator pops out letting you know to repump). You only need to tap the pump one time to get it back to full grip. Also, depends on the surface. Areas like the window would be considered the strongest area to mount it. That are could hold up to 2 days. The suction is increadible.

Modified by KillerB at 8:23 PM 8-14-2006

#6 ·
Re: New toy for the track : (KillerB)

Quote, originally posted by mike_c70 »
I HIGHLY recommend stickypod.com. My friend designed their website and used their products. Go to the video gallery and check out the video called "The Rescue 03". That's him in the video (the driver). The mount works VERY well.

Quote, originally posted by KillerB »
Also, the suction will hold up from 30 minutes to 2 days at full streignth. A minumal of 1 hour (30 minutes at full grip...then the red indicator pops out letting you know to repump). You only need to tap the pump one time to get it back to full grip. Also, depends on the surface. Areas like the window would be considered the strongest area to mount it. That are could hold up to 2 days. The suction is increadible.

Modified by KillerB at 8:23 PM 8-14-2006

How much $$$$$

#7 ·
Re: New toy for the track : (cloaked)

Quote, originally posted by cloaked »

How much $$$$$

Hey Marc, the kit you see in the window is 380.oo. I bought the head rest mount that Chris was refering to for 89.oo, but it didn't work for our type of car. Sean was looking at getting the one for 180.oo, but that's just the main mass, main suction cup and camera mount. You can add 280 more for the other 2 suctions and rods....or you can get the 3 point mount that I got and save some $$$.

The shop is right down the street from the old Virgin Mega Store off the 5 on Burbank BLVD. I talked to the owner since I was trading in the head rest mount for the 3 point mount. Everyone there was very helpful.

#9 ·
Quote, originally posted by Mike_c70 »

I HIGHLY recommend stickypod.com. My friend designed their website and used their products. Go to the video gallery and check out the video called "The Rescue 03". That's him in the video (the driver). The mount works VERY well.

LAMEST VIDEO I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE

#10 ·
Re: New toy for the track : Camera Mount (mike_c70)

Got mine a couple years back! Certainly cheaper than the other rig.

#12 ·
Re: (Copeland)

Quote, originally posted by Copeland »

LAMEST VIDEO I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE

Good for you. That was a clip he made for his wedding and there's a story behind that clip. I'm not gonna bore you with details but everyone was very impressed.

This forum has definitely gone to ****s.

#13 ·
Re: (mike_c70)

Good for you. That was a clip he made for his wedding and there's a story behind that clip. I'm not gonna bore you with details but everyone was very impressed.

This forum has definitely gone to ****s.

Don't take it so serious Mike. The video doesn't appeal to everyone and Cope has the right to his opinion. He's not attacking you. I like the first few minutes of the video and I felt sorry for the lady in the parking structure. It turned south and got real cheesy during the car chase. I think it was especially cheesy when they shot the missile out of the BMW emblem. I think it was neat that someone took the time to make that. I like seeing stuff like that all the time, but you got to admit the last few minutes are too much to take no matter how good it is. Come on...<nudge>. Right?

I watched a few videos. Some of the sticky pod shots were shaky and others looked dam good. The problem I have is that the clubs I race with, like the Audi Club and the Porsche Club, won't allow items like that at their events. I can sell the Club inspector on letting me on the track with my set up if he struggles to get the device off the window with no success. The inspections at these events are pretty strict... and they check everything. Someone could get by with the sticky pod device at Speedventures, because they don't inspect the cars.

---Kirb---

How hard do you drive the car with the sticky pod? Not that I interested in one, but someone that's looking at this thread might want to know. Cloaked has me addictive to driving over the rumble strips and taking my corners pretty hard. There is a lot of racket going on in the car... beyond what I've seen in the videos at sticky pods web site.

Modified by KillerB at 1:03 AM 8-15-2006

#15 ·
Re: New toy for the track : Camera Mount (mike_c70)

and...you didn't need to delete the link.

Here is another choice for members. While it's not for me... it might be something that someone could use for casual driving and some light legal racing if your looking for something at a lower cost.

http://www.stickypod.com/

Here is a example of the sticky pod used for a car chase during a student film:

http://www.stickypod.com/video/TheRescue.mov

more examples:
http://www.stickypod.com/

#16 ·
Re: (KillerB)

That's the fun part of the video, that it was cheesy (after all it was for a wedding
). The guy does some fantastic work. It just irks when people blurt out the dumbest things, I've seen dumber things taped on video (the beauty of the internet).

But anyways, back to your regularly scheduled program.

#18 ·
if you want a mount and want to go "cheap" - I have seen single suction cup mounts available for under $100. When I did my track day at Buttonwillow, a few guys had them. They had mounted the suction cup to the inside of their windshield. the suction cup had one arm, with a hinge or two, plus the camera mount base - it allowed them to position the cam corder looking out fhte front of the window. the cool part about these is that the camera controls were right there next to them..so they could reach over and turn it on/off, adjust zoom, etc wihtout getting out of the car.

the guy who had one that I got a chance to talk to said he got it online for under $100.

surf around and I'm sure you could find one.

Killer B's looks like a professional mount...I'm sure you could use Killer B's and mount externally, drive fast and not worry about yoru camera falling off..... the cheapy one I saw was good for INSIDE the car, not for making cool vidoes and having external shots...

Killer B - nice mount! we have to meet up now and shoot some videos!!

#20 ·
mhmm, you guys should track your cars.

The stickypod that was previously mentioned is about 100bucks. I am considering ordering one and a digital video camera to mount on one of the firetrucks for 911 calls. On that note, does anyone know of any cheap digital video cameras (cheap, becuase it will be destroyed)

#21 ·
The sticky pod thing looks interesting. If I could figure out how to invert video on my camera I would mount it to the moonroof with a safety strap through the roof (in closed position of course.)

My fear is I don't think any road course/track is going to allow these suction cup setups regardless of how much they can lift (at least not with one of their instructors in the car.)

#23 ·
Re:

Well if money is the draw back... then you can do what Smak did out at the Nurburgring the day we were with the Ramstein 'R' Group. He had a small photo camera that had the capibility of shooting movies and he stuck it to the dashboard with a peice of velcro for 2.oo Euros. That's the fastest route for the lowest amount of money.

I honestly thought about the single post suction, but the owner of the shop talked me into the additional peices. The main reason for the change was... he said that you would get a lot of vibration and the footage would be shaky. It makes sense to me. You got one arm that ampifies the vibrations because your putting the camera at the end of the post, and you have nothing bracing it.

I have the option of breaking down the unit to one rod and one suction cup... so when I get some time... I can shoot some video between the 2 set ups. Then you can decide if you want to go forward. I'll probably go to the drags in SD. I can probably shoot the stuff there. I can set it up in my car... then mount it in Seans car with the single post (since he'll do multiple drags). Hopefully he's going....

#24 ·

In car rear window mounted. Messed around with it on the street with sudden stops and hard starts and some mild cornering. It held on. I didn't try it outside the car. I was going to take it to ThunderHill but I haven't had time the last two years so it has been sitting in the box.

Modified by Kirb at 6:58 PM 8-15-2006

#25 ·
Well I personally like Bryans the best, but the pricing is a little bit high for my liking

I think this will be my solution for the fire dept and other events

stickypod.com

Quote, originally posted by KillerB »
I was able to lock one down at the supply store and lift the entire table with out it loosing grip. The table had to be around a hundred pounds&#8230;
OH PLEASE! your just as skinny as I am.

#26 ·

Quote, originally posted by Copeland »

OH PLEASE! your just as skinny as I am.

lol... I do bench about 205lbs and squat about 370. I had a college job working at Disneyland as a Outdoor Beverage stocker. I think my record is pushing about 6500lbs of stock at one time... by myself... so don't be deceived by my size or fore arms.

There is a strong reason why my co-workers nick named me KillerB.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.