SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I recently purchased a 2001 Volvo S60 T5 5 speed. Since I've had it 2 issues have been keeping me from really loving the car. 1 is the constant burn of oil, I think this is because of the turbo seals going out, I'm hoping that I can fix this by purchasing a log manifold with a T3 flange and use a leftover Holset HX40w that I had left over from my last build and upgrade while I repair. Would this be something workable? While i was looking around the forum I noticed that not many people talk about this type of turbo even though they are popular in most other communities, is there a reason for this, like clearance? The other main issue is this clicking coming from this little plastic piece on the windshield. I thought this was some bad aftermarket addition, but my friends S40 has it as well. What is this thing and how do I get rid of it, or make it stop clicking?

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Okay so I recently purchased a 2001 Volvo S60 T5 5 speed. Since I've had it 2 issues have been keeping me from really loving the car. 1 is the constant burn of oil, I think this is because of the turbo seals going out, I'm hoping that I can fix this by purchasing a log manifold with a T3 flange and use a leftover Holset HX40w that I had left over from my last build and upgrade while I repair. Would this be something workable? While i was looking around the forum I noticed that not many people talk about this type of turbo even though they are popular in most other communities, is there a reason for this, like clearance? The other main issue is this clicking coming from this little plastic piece on the windshield. I thought this was some bad aftermarket addition, but my friends S40 has it as well. What is this thing and how do I get rid of it, or make it stop clicking?
I guess you're talking about the parking ticket holder? Try moving it up or down a little and see if it stops vibrating.

Not sure about that turbo. Often oil burning is caused by excessive crankcase pressure. Check to see if you have crankcase pressure or not. It should be under a vacuum.

It should look like this, if not you will need to replace the PCV system.

·
Registered
112 Posts
.... 1 is the constant burn of oil, I think this is because of the turbo seals going out...
I'm just curious: how did you detected the worn turbo seals?
Reason of excess oil burning could be worn piston rings and/or worn valve stem seals in case of a high mileage car.

·
Registered
505 Posts
The oe Volvo manifold has a T3 flange

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
The tuning world for Volvo is small, most looking to repair or upgrade will stick with OE or equivalent TD04 family of turbo as they are plug-and-play. Unsure what's needed to get the holset to work, but I'm sure there will be some custom work needed and very likely a custom map made to maintain proper boost control. If you're into DIY fixes but are not willing to rebuild the current CHRA you can purchase a CHRA separately. Quite sure the Part NO. is 49189-08535, but do some research before purchasing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was already planning on the custom tune and had been calling around about where to get that done. I come from the SC300/JZ engine world so custom tunes are pretty much par for the course. What issues with fitment will I run into? Is this a standard "hammer the firewall" situation, or is it a bit more severe than that? I notice just from a basic view of the engine bay that the turbocharger itself is in a position I'm not used to, but i haven't investigated it much further yet due to the blizzard. Also when changing the turbo, would it be worthwhile to disable the PCV and switch to a more standard BOV? It might be a bit ricey, but I do miss the BOV sound between shifts.

·
Registered
200 Posts
What are your HP goals? T5 is strongest block but Volvo is still weak with boost levels compared to 4G63 or 1/2JZ.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To be honest, I was imagining around 400hp to the wheels, This is my first front wheel drive car and from what I've heard anything beyond that would make it essentially worthless without running slicks all the time. Would you say this is a realistic goal?

·
Registered
505 Posts
To be honest, I was imagining around 400hp to the wheels, This is my first front wheel drive car and from what I've heard anything beyond that would make it essentially worthless without running slicks all the time. Would you say this is a realistic goal?
The goal is realistic, given that you have a serious budget. If you have a leftover turbo and you're hoping to just slap together a 400whp volvo it's not going to happen on an 01' T5 without some investment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts