SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I was in need of a new used car, and I always wanted to get a Volvo, and I guy I "some what" know decided to sell his (family politics on his end are forcing him to sell it). So for between $1200 and $1700 he is offering me a 1985 740 GLE with 92K miles that looks like it is in fairly good condition. The variation in the price range is based on any work that the car may need done. But, I don't know a thing about Volvos, much less this paticular year and model. The car has been sitting for 8 months, so there mat be some inital "start-up and get her going" expenses. Oh, I do know that the tranny and clutch was replaced 8 months ago. And there are a few minor bugs with it - things like broken brake lightbulb, one electric window that doesn't work, gas tank indicator doesn't work.

What can you guys tell me? Should I jump at it or run? Was this model and year a good one or a bunch of lemons? What will I mostl likely need to do to the car mechanically? What high dollar items usually fail on these cars? What should I look out for? Since I do have some mechanical ability, what fix it manual would you recommend?

Thanks so much for whatever advice you can give me, and I'll proably become a regular member at this BBS.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Re: New to Volvos - buying an 1985 740 GLE (atjurhs)

thats a toughy .. im not to much of a regular on here .. but i enjoy reading and helping out people

i use to have a '86 760 Turbo .. but now im an Audi VW guy

there is so much to the older 7 series cars ... you'll have to find a reliable mechanic .. for older Volvos aint easy to start with .. but once your familar with em .. they aint bad

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
Re: New to Volvos - buying an 1985 740 GLE (atjurhs)

The 740 has a pretty solid reputation, the worst complaints I used to hear about them was from a Volvo sales woman here, she used to complain that it was to hard to get 740 owners to give up their trusty steeds and splurge for a new 850/S70! So yeah, if everything works they are a good solid car with a very long odometer reading potential if kept up with regular maintenance. http://********************/smile/emwink.gif
I'd say price out what it needs, if you get the car for $1200 and it needs another $1200 to get it tip-top than you have a no problem Volvo for $2400, not bad at all. If it is just little tweaks as the clutch and such has already been done you may be walking away with the car for cheeper. See what a certified one in your area would cost you before you buy this one, and keep in mind the certified one could also have a stuck window or something annoying to fix.

Oh, I have heard the 760 is a little more of a maintenance car, early 6 cyl. engine I guess. Probably want the four cylinder (740).

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
Re: New to Volvos - buying an 1985 740 GLE (bugzy)

quote:

well in '86 when we got our 760T .. it was a 4 cylinder turbo
ahh, maybe some 760 were 4 cylinders, I was pretty young when Volvo was manufacturing all RWD cars. The turbo must make up for the extra 2 cylinders! http://********************/smile/emwink.gif

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Re: New to Volvos - buying an 1985 740 GLE (Spearzy)

The difference between the 740turbo 4banger and the 760turbo 4 bangers is the interior bits. But I am pretty positive there are 760's with straight 6's, like how the 780 had 4cylinder turbos and n/a 6 cylinders. It's like the 940 and 960(except we all know the 960 had a straight 6, not a 4).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts