SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This forum is great! Love the discussions. Been reading a while now, first time posting. I've only owned Audi's in the past. Currently driving an '08 Q7 4.2, sick of buying so much gas (13MPG) and ready for my Volvo to get here!

I just took the plunge a few weeks ago on a T8. Loaded it up, Inscription + packages (no air suspension, keep debating with myself if I made the right choice there after seeing the discussions here :) ), blue with the rugged styling kit. I like the two-toned look of the styling kit, and for my son the running boards allow him to get into the car by himself. I know people have complained about them, but it was perfect for my 3 year old. Anyone else go with the rugged styling? Thoughts? Or real-life pictures?

And I do have one question for any helpful T8 owners out there. Do you know what charge cable is included with the US T8? Is it a a wall plug-in? Or does it need to be direct wired? And 120v or 240v? I was planning to install a 240v 30A outlet, but I don't want to waste money if I'll need it direct wired anyway. Or is it worth installing something like this: http://www.clippercreek.com/store/p...-station-22-ft-cable-nema-14-30-with-holster/

Anyone know the answer to this? Would appreciate some advice, I would like to be ready when it arrives in January :)

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the Volvo family and SS forum....

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't think I've heard of any US owners taking delivery of a T8 yet, but the news reports from a while back seemed to say that the included charing cord was going to be the AeroVironment TurboCord:
http://www.evsolutions.com/turbocord
http://www.greencarreports.com/news...lug-in-hybrid-with-built-in-240-volt-charging

It's can support either 120V or 240V wall plugs. For the 120V, I think it should be a standard NEMA 5-15. For 240V charging you need a NEMA 6-20.

I believe the T8 is only going to support around 3.6kW charging, so anything over 15 or so amps at 240V is not going to be used. You can certainly use a Clipper Creek EVSE, but I think the T8 will only charge at it's maximum rate.

·
Registered
478 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
That appears to the the charger we are all getting included with our T8. As such, you can pretty much plug it into anything. However, upgrading your outlets to 240v service will allow you to fully charge in 2.5 hours (versus something like 7 at 120v). We are getting ours upgraded in the garage and the below charger installed Thursday in preparation! Very excited. Of course, since the T8 comes with a 120/240 charger installing one in the garage is unnecessary. For us it was the convenience of keeping the Turbocord in the vehicle for on the go charging without having to coil it back up every day. Probably a luxury convenience to have but you should see the state of my extension cord storage. Ha. And if you do decide to get one installed, be aware that upgrading to 30amp over 15/16 will provide no additional charge time benefits to the T8. We learned this thru our very knowledgable install team. It's also worth checking your states rebate programs. Illinois offers a 50% rebate on all charger materials and labor. Sweet deal and a great way to subsidize the cost of upgrading out of date electrical wiring :).

http://www.clippercreek.com/store/p...-station-22-ft-cable-nema-14-30-with-holster/

http://www.clippercreek.com/store/p...-station-22-ft-cable-nema-14-30-with-holster/

·
Registered
496 Posts
Gongrats with your purchase!

If you want to charge your car daily, please make it as comfortable as possible. I've installed a wall-mounted charger with spiral cable. I simply takes the connector of the hook and plug it in.
The T8 always locks the plugged-in connector. You need first to unlock your car, before you can remove it.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
First, congrats on your order! And keep in mind that there is a period of time in which you still can make changes to your order configuration if you chose to. As for the running boards, were you able to take a test drive in a vehicle equipped with them? You are right that they are a hot topic of debate. One owner has already made the decision to pay his dealer to remove his running boards, finding them to be a hassle and of no use other than being decorative. But whatever works for you is best.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Congrats!!!!! If it was me I would skip the running boards and buy the pair off the member that just paid his dealer to take them off, (you could probably get a great deal on them:p). Take that savings and get the Air suspension. I absolutely love the air suspension and I think it is a great deal at $1,800 bucks. As for the rugged styling kit, I personally think it is very expensive and makes the car look cheap but everyone has different tastes and preferences so this is just my opinion, I just like as little plastic on my car as possible. However you configure your car you will love it though!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts