SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: The 2018 V60CC in question has been sold. I am still interested in general advice on the model and comparisons with the Golf Alltrac.

My trusty Subaru Legacy Wagon died tonight and I need to pick up a replacement car fairly quickly. I am looking for a wagon with AWD, and Subaru does not have anything (I don't like the Outback, which feels much more like a SUV to me – I am from Europe and far prefer Eurostyle wagons with sportier handling and that sit lower to the ground, but these are hard to come by in the U.S.). As a Swede, I have an affinity for Volvos, but the price for a new 2019 V60 or 2020 V60CC is most likely more than I am willing to spend at the moment.

However, our local Volvo dealer has a Certified Pre-Owned 2018 V60CC with 18,500 miles. It has the Convenience Package and Heated Front Seats & Heated Steering Wheel. The downside is that it is black, which is not my favorite color, and it does not have adaptive speed control or heated rear seats. However, the advertised price seems really good at ~$27,500. One consideration is to drive this for 2-3 years and then upgrade to a CPO 2020 or later V60CC in the future.

The other leading contender is a new 2019 Volkswagen Golf Alltrack TSI SEL. It is the color I like, has all the features I want, and an asking price of ~$33,000. But it is not a Volvo, the reviews indicates that it is can be sluggish in shifting, has a stiff ride, and somewjat antiquated infotainment system (but is otherwise supposed to be a fine car). One other downside is that a very close friend of mine, also a Swede, told me to stay away from the local VW dealer. Judging by reviews alone, the local Volvo dealers cores higher than the VW dealer, but not by a huge margin.

I'm looking for general advice, any guidance or tips to be shared, or things to look out for, especially from drivers familiar with both the 2018 V60CC and the newer 2019/2020 V60/V60CC, or who familiarity with the 2019 VW Golf Alltrack. It's also been over ten years since I bought a car (either CPO or new), so any general advice and approaches to car shopping in today's day and age would also be welcome. Are there other Volvo models I am missing out on or other good deals out there? I am fully aware that my negotiating power is going to be reduced because I need to buy a replacement care pretty quickly, but I want to make the best out of the situation.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
I have driven a few Golf Alltracks and really like them - we were shopping for a replacement vehicle a few months ago. VW is discontinuing them in this country have December 2019 I think so I would imagine you'd be able to get a pretty good deal on one. Also, they appear to have a lot more storage capacity than the P3 V60, which to me is more of a sport hatch than a wagon. That V60CC you're looking at seems like a decent deal (you might want to check kbb for pricing comps) but black is a non-starter for me. I don't think the Alltrack's infotainment system is all that antiquated - it actually has Car Play and Android Auto, which the V60 does not unfortunately. My sister just got an Alltrack and loves it. I think the Volvo build quality will be a little better than VW but the latter has a 6 year 72,000 bumper to bumper warranty. If I got an Alltrack I'd probably want one without the panorama roof - not a fan of those things.

Good luck on your decision!

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! The V60CC I was looking at has been sold, so it's no longer an option, unfortunately. The Alltracks are in fact very nicely priced at the momemnt and the local dealer has a model that has everything I want, so I will go test drive it this weekend. I have driven Volvo, but never VW. My Legacy wagon had a panorama roof and I really liked it: Out of curiosty, what don't you like about them?

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
A few things about the panorama roof that I don't care for -

1) Sun - The sun shade/screen in most cases doesn't block out all of the sun so if you live in a sunny climate and park outdoors the car will get hotter;
2) Noise - Acoustically it's kind of a disaster with sound waves bouncing off that hard surface, road/wind noise more prevalent;
3) Nuisance - They tend to leak or squeak over time, cost a lot to get repaired, yet another thing to break, etc.

All that said, we've had one in our XC60 for the last four years and the only thing I've noticed is the noise factor. We park the car inside and don't live in a very sunny climate so that's not an issue and it hasn't leaked yet or caused us any issues. Even though I've had pretty okay experience with them I wouldn't buy another car with it. I think they're all the rage now because consumers like them and manufacturers can charge a lot for them.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
One more nice thing about the VW Alltrack is you can get it in a 6-speed manual transmission.

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
1) Sun - The sun shade/screen in most cases doesn't block out all of the sun so if you live in a sunny climate and park outdoors the car will get hotter;
2) Noise - Acoustically it's kind of a disaster with sound waves bouncing off that hard surface, road/wind noise more prevalent;
3) Nuisance - They tend to leak or squeak over time, cost a lot to get repaired, yet another thing to break, etc.
1. I had a customer with that complaint. He went with a 5% tint and it completely solved his problem to his 100% satisfaction (just talked to him on the phone today actually and he said he's still thrilled with that)
2. Volvo pano roofs are laminated. That helps out a great deal. Though not a factor for a 2018 V60
3. Most leaks are from cars parked outside and dirt gets in the drains. If that's you, just know to clean the drains and make sure they are in good order. Another thing to break... sure... but everything on today's cars are just another thing to break.

I love the previous V60s (and new ones too, check out Overseas Delivery for that next time around option!) Not as big and functional as some other wagons on the market, but they are quite fun to drive and I like my smaller cars personally. The Volvo CPO warranty is pretty awesome and I love that you can extend it to unlimited miles and 10 years of car life. Did you get to drive the V60 before it sold?

·
Registered
20 Posts
My husband has an Alltrack and I recently traded in a Golf Sportwagen SEL for a 2016 CPO V60 T5 AWD. I test drove a newer V60 and V90 as well.

The VW and the Volvo are totally different classes of car. I’m a VW driver for 25 years and the jump to Volvo gave me pause but I would 100% make the choice again. Nicer and better in just about every way.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
1. I had a customer with that complaint.
Thank you for your insight on the panoramic roof. As I wrote, my Subaru had a panoramic roof, and I never had any problems with it whatsoever.

Unfortunately i never got to drive the 2018 V60. I e-mailed the dealer to set up an appointment, and they replied that it had been sold. There is another one, but it has far more miles on it (80k if I remember correctly), I don't even know if it's CPO. I'm looking for low mileage or new cars. I bought my Subaru CPO and was very happy.

I will be going to the local Volvo dealer tomorrow to try out tne new 2020 V60CC, but I'm not sure I can justify the price differential over the Golf Alltrack. I really want adaptive cruise control, which comes standard in the Golf Alltrack SEL, but requires the $2,500 Advanced Package in the V60CC. So I'm looking at an MSRP of $51,400 for the Volvo vs. $37,784 for the VW. But I shall see how low they are willing to go (and which car I like more: I haven't driven either yet).

I am from Sweden and I go back every year for 5-7 weeks. I still want to do an OSD, however. :)

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The VW and the Volvo are totally different classes of car. I’m a VW driver for 25 years and the jump to Volvo gave me pause but I would 100% make the choice again. Nicer and better in just about every way.
If I could find a recent, low-mileage CPO Volvo, it would probably be my preference. Unfortunately the only one I could find in the area has been sold. I will be test driving new 2020 V60CCs tomorrow, but the price differential over the Volkswagen Alltrack is pretty substantial. But right now i haven't driven either car: I will know much more about how I feel after tomorrow.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If I could find a recent, low-mileage CPO Volvo, it would probably be my preference. Unfortunately the only one I could find in the area has been sold. I will be test driving new 2020 V60CCs tomorrow, but the price differential over the Volkswagen Alltrack is pretty substantial. But right now i haven't driven either car: I will know much more about how I feel after tomorrow.
I agree that the price differential for these two is huge and would be hard to swallow (for me, at least). At the price of my three year old CPO, it made sense. Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I agree that the price differential for these two is huge and would be hard to swallow (for me, at least). At the price of my three year old CPO, it made sense. Good luck with your decision!
I test drove both the Golf Alltrack SEL and a Volvo V60 Cross Country today. The Alltrack is a really nice car and extremely well equipped for the price. It's maybe a tad smaller than I would like, but I think I can live with it. Road noise was fine even at highway speeds, but wind noise was a bit higher than I would prefer. Not at all bad, but I would have loved for it to be quieter. Also, it gets pretty poor mileage: It basically gets the same mileage as the V60, but with a 168 hp engine compared to the V60's 250 hp.

As you said, the V60 is a different class. The 2020 V60 Cross Country is easily the nicest wagon I have ever driven. I absolutely fell in love and did not want the test ride to end. Unfortunately, while my heart says yes, the wallet says no. I tried to see if the dealer could match OSD prices, but the lowest they would go (for now anyway) is $1,000 over OSD pricing. I think the most likely outcome for now is that we'll buy the Alltrack, have it replace my wife's Impreza in two years, and at that point either by an OSD V60 or see if I can find a low mileage CPO one.

I only have one complaint about the V60 and that is that the left rear visibility is awful. I almost drove into a car the first time I switched lanes. I'll have to get used to relying on the mirrors more than looking over my shoulder. Fortunately, I don't do much highwyay driving, but this seems a real step backwards.

I also drove the BMW X1. It's a nice SUV, but it's no wagon. Also, the BMW dealer told me that there are basically no X1s or X2s with adaptive cruise control, which is must for me. I'm not sure why.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Volvos are always in a different class, but they depreciate quickly so buying a CPO version is always better ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Also I got a blind spot left mirror (objects in this mirror are closer than they appear) from the UK for my V60RD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
I test drove both the Golf Alltrack SEL and a Volvo V60 Cross Country today. The Alltrack is a really nice car and extremely well equipped for the price. It's maybe a tad smaller than I would like, but I think I can live with it. Road noise was fine even at highway speeds, but wind noise was a bit higher than I would prefer. Not at all bad, but I would have loved for it to be quieter. Also, it gets pretty poor mileage: It basically gets the same mileage as the V60, but with a 168 hp engine compared to the V60's 250 hp.

As you said, the V60 is a different class. The 2020 V60 Cross Country is easily the nicest wagon I have ever driven. I absolutely fell in love and did not want the test ride to end. Unfortunately, while my heart says yes, the wallet says no. I tried to see if the dealer could match OSD prices, but the lowest they would go (for now anyway) is $1,000 over OSD pricing. I think the most likely outcome for now is that we'll buy the Alltrack, have it replace my wife's Impreza in two years, and at that point either by an OSD V60 or see if I can find a low mileage CPO one.

I only have one complaint about the V60 and that is that the left rear visibility is awful. I almost drove into a car the first time I switched lanes. I'll have to get used to relying on the mirrors more than looking over my shoulder. Fortunately, I don't do much highwyay driving, but this seems a real step backwards.

I also drove the BMW X1. It's a nice SUV, but it's no wagon. Also, the BMW dealer told me that there are basically no X1s or X2s with adaptive cruise control, which is must for me. I'm not sure why.
Glad you liked the Alltrack. It is a nice car and seems like you have a plan to get that and still search for a CPO V60 in a few years and get an even nicer wagon than the Alltrack. Good plan!

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
Pricing on the V60 will come down. OSD pricing, while discounted from MSRP, is at a premium from what you can normally get by negotiating with a few dealers.

New vs. CPO pricing just depends on the car. Sometimes the pricing is so close you'd rather spend a few dollars more and get a new car with no questions as to how the previous owner treated/abused it. Example - I've been looking at VW Jetta to commute in to keep miles down on my "nice" cars and I can get what is essentially a one year old 2019 Jetta S with 14k on the clock for around $14k or get a new one (end of model year 2019 Jetta S) for just less than $16k.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Glad you liked the Alltrack. It is a nice car and seems like you have a plan to get that and still search for a CPO V60 in a few years and get an even nicer wagon than the Alltrack. Good plan!
We're reaching 99% likelihood that this is the plan. We got what I think is a very good price on the Alltrack (the dealer offer less than I was holding out for) and will probably be signing the contract today. I've alrady e-mailed the Volvo rep I spoke with (who also made a very favorable impression on me) and told her to keep me in mind if they have leftover V60 CCs at the end of the year or if they start getting low mileage lease returns/used vehicles in inventory in a year or so.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pricing on the V60 will come down. OSD pricing, while discounted from MSRP, is at a premium from what you can normally get by negotiating with a few dealers.
That''s good to know. My past car purchases have all been fixed price sales through various VIP programs, so I have not negotiated for a car price in over 20 years. I didn't really know what a good price for a Volvo was, so I used OSD pricing as a starting point since that was readily available.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts