SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I picked up a 1998 V70R (at least I hope it is lol) For a darn good price I think and wanted to do some mods but I have no idea where to start.

I know I will be doing a lot of research but wanted to start a discussion that I may be able to benefit from.

I'm working on getting the car 100% before I upgrade(stage 0). The car has 251k on the ODO and is getting a new turbo (well cartridge that came with the car) and is getting the Driveshaft put back in for starters. Replacing the ignition system components and doing a timing belt and water pump

1. I know for sure the Cat is likely clogged and needs to be deleted or replaced. I live where you do not have to have emissions done. So I'm open to suggestions for the upgrades/replacements there!

2. What are the logical next steps of upgrades from there?

Sorry for the New smell around here it will go away soon enough!

Also, feel free to point me in the right direction if I'm in the wrong place! Looking forward to getting into a new scene that I have always wanted to jump into!

·
Registered
2007 V50 T5 AWD Manual, 1998 V70R
77 Posts
I'd get some TME springs and some new struts. I used factory R height nivomats and front struts, new LCA, etc. Makes it drive like a brand new brick. I had to use 10 mm spacers back and 5mm spacers front to get these wheels to fit on 17x8, but it was well worth all the effort and $$$ to lower it.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
If I were you, at that many miles, I'd just stage 0 it and drive it, and delete the cat. I was quoted $400 to replace the whole exhaust system with a magnaflow. That's cheaper than the factory mufflers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I were you, at that many miles, I'd just stage 0 it and drive it, and delete the cat. I was quoted $400 to replace the whole exhaust system with a magnaflow. That's cheaper than the factory mufflers.
I know it's alot of miles right. My goal is to get it all back to stage 0 then start screwing with it a little I think the suspension is going to be done as soon as I have it as close to mechanically perfect as I can get it. Bought it for $850 so I have some room to work with without spending a ton of money.

Having to learn a all new platform is the enjoyment. I know many people stick with the Volvo side of things once they get started.

Just looking forward to having something that is a little different around here and having something that ticks most of the boxes

How much do you think you spent on the suspension upgrade/refresh?

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've spent over $2k just on the suspension parts alone.
That's fair I don't mind putting money into it at all just need to go through all the routine maintenance and get it to where I feel comfortable spending the money.

The it's down to figuring out what to buy. Been doing alot of reading on here and wanted to at least start some conversation since Im new to Volvo.

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
The first time I did it was about $1400 in parts, that included a used axle off ebay for $50 and a wheel bearing. This time was much cheaper as the rear is still good, just finally did my innter/outer tie rods, go 190k on them! lol I wondered why I having trouble braking latley. I would go with oem control arms are the lemforder, they meyle only lasted my 38k on a lowered car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts