SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the spot to do this...Just wanted to introduce myself.

I got my first Volvo about a week ago. A 2008 S60. My 03 Mini cooper broke on me, so I went car shopping. Test drove some infinitys and Lexus. I have always liked the Volvo's just never drove one. Took this S60 for a ride and fell in love. it has 90,000 miles. never owning a Volvo before I dont know what to think about maintance in the near future? Timing belt perhaps? It seems like all the turbo cars ive had i need a turbo around 120,000. I just want to be ready for what to expect.

Zak

·
Registered
74 Posts
Not sure if this is the spot to do this...Just wanted to introduce myself.

I got my first Volvo about a week ago. A 2008 S60. My 03 Mini cooper broke on me, so I went car shopping. Test drove some infinitys and Lexus. I have always liked the Volvo's just never drove one. Took this S60 for a ride and fell in love. it has 90,000 miles. never owning a Volvo before I dont know what to think about maintance in the near future? Timing belt perhaps? It seems like all the turbo cars ive had i need a turbo around 120,000. I just want to be ready for what to expect.

Zak
Look around under the hood around your timing belt cover for a silver sticker that indicates when the timing belt was changed. If you can't find one, I would go ahead and get that out of the way. You can get kits which will come with the belt, a new water pump and two pulleys for about 200 bucks and you can scratch that off your list of worries most likely for as long as you have the car.
I don't know if this issue lingered on into the 2008s, hopefully another member can chime in and verify either way, but an overhaul of the car's PCV breather system also seems to be a "must do" as you start getting into the hundred thousands. This is around 300 dollars and an afternoon of real patience if you do your own wrench work.
I bought my '04 with 140k needing a new turbo. Again, members who know more than me can probably speak for if this is normal or the previous owner just sucked. I am inclined to believe the latter given many other small details that were ignored.
You have a great car and you're going to love it as long as you are willing to keep up with basic maintenance.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
As for the turbo if you take care of it, it will last longer. My xc has nearly 200k miles on the original turbo with no issues at all.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have around 240k on my original turbo. If you keep up with oil changes and let the car warm up before driving hard it should last for a while.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts