SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buying a 2006 S60R. Test drive went great, car is super clean from a reputable (if there is such a thing) european used car dealer. Signed the contract and am waiting on some minor maintenance before paying for the car. Of course now I am wondering what could be wrong with it. Yes, I should have worried more about that prior to signing the contract, but they don't have the money yet. From what I read the angle gear issue is mostly limited to the 2003-2005 models. Am I on the right track here?

I noticed that in the 4C system when in comfort mode the indicator was green but in sport and advanced it was amber. Is this normal?

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Buying a 2006 S60R. Test drive went great, car is super clean from a reputable (if there is such a thing) european used car dealer. Signed the contract and am waiting on some minor maintenance before paying for the car. Of course now I am wondering what could be wrong with it. Yes, I should have worried more about that prior to signing the contract, but they don't have the money yet. From what I read the angle gear issue is mostly limited to the 2003-2005 models. Am I on the right track here?

I noticed that in the 4C system when in comfort mode the indicator was green but in sport and advanced it was amber. Is this normal?
Angle gear for all years, and yes for the colored light

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
4c in my car comfort and sport are green and advanced is an amber/red color

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
4c in my car comfort and sport are green and advanced is an amber/red color
Mine too.

Also since on one else has said it. You need to post pics or you're buying a camRy :facepalm:

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
2006's have software problems with the boost control that turn the car into a truck at the worst times. Just make sure they do all the updates available. I have 100k on the car with no angle problems. I think you'll worry more about what you'll pay for in shock and strut repair more than angle gear problems. Just stay ahead of the maintenance.

·
Registered
110 Posts
agree with KillerB about the software. I bought my 2006 with 44k and maybe around 60k the computer sh!t the bed. And of course at the worst possible time (over an hour away from home, 2:00am, after going out on a date). Cost was $140 for a software update, which I thought Volvo should have paid for but of course didn't.

Luckily I haven't had any shock or strut issues although the suspension I have found to be quite sensitive. At my old job I would have to drive over 10 train tracks each way everyday and went through about 5 or 6 wheel bearings, under CPO - free, otherwise about $500 each. I'm not sure if this was a specific lemon issue with my car, but I have never had to change a wheel bearing on any vehicle I've ever had. Also have had to have all 4 wheels straightened or replaced because of bends, the aluminum rims don't fair well in city life I have found.

Most recently, the oil trap started leaking and the angle gear seals had to be replaced. Luckily, these were covered under CPO but would have been a couple thousand to fix. And then just yesterday I had to have my car towed in because my slave cylinder failed. Apparently this is a common problem and one thing you should know is that the slave cylinder on this car is located inside the transmission housing, therefore, while an inexpensive part, it is quite costly in labor.

Is your car covered under a CPO? If I didn't have that I would probably be $5-10k in repairs over the past 2 and a half years of ownership.

Just know you are buying a very precisely built car, and you should take care of it as such.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts