SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! Buying my first RWD today - 1985 240DL secondhand from a fellow volvo guy. It's been kept up and running like a top. Anything recurring with these cars that I should be aware of? I heard about the blower motor in the dash... would you say this is a pain in the ass? lol :beer: cheers!

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Hi all! Buying my first RWD today - 1985 240DL secondhand from a fellow volvo guy. It's been kept up and running like a top. Anything recurring with these cars that I should be aware of? I heard about the blower motor in the dash... would you say this is a pain in the ass? lol :beer: cheers!
Welcome to RWD, Andrew.

Post some pics/history on your new Volvo and we'll fill this thread with 240 stuff just for you!

Thanks.

George Dill

·
Registered
130 Posts
Blower motor is a PITA, as is the heater core and AC evaporator. But the bigger (drivability issue) thing would be to make sure that your engine wiring harness is in good shape. '85 is in the period where Volvos were known for having "biodegradable" engine harnesses.

Hope you have fun with it.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Here are my swedes. I bought the '85 off of a guy (I am the third owner) for $1500. It's rough around the edges but runs well. It's been well maintained and has done 257,500 miles. It sounds like a tractor which I have taken a liking to for some reason. I've been driving the 240 to work and leaving the S60 home I love driving it so much. lol. It isn't quick, it likes to chug along and be slow and efficient. What is the fuel economy on these? It seems to be fairly good on fuel for such an old car. My T5 was given to me by my grandfather, family owned since it was new. More pics to come!

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
California dreamin...

Cool 244DL - let us know what you have planned for repairs/parts/upgrades, etc. and we will link you to the best sources.

Do you have the Owner's Manual specific to the '85 240?

George Dill

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
California dreamin...

Cool 244DL - let us know what you have planned for repairs/parts/upgrades, etc. and we will link you to the best sources.

Do you have the Owner's Manual specific to the '85 240?

George Dill
Thanks
I haven't had the chance to read the manual yet, it even has the window sticker from 1985 with it! It was around $14,000 back then. LOL

I'm having the serpentine belts replaced. I'd like to flush the radiator and the block and refresh the coolant. It shifts hard into 2nd gear, is this common? It drives great, that's my only thought on any issues that I've experienced. Maybe eventually if some extra money wanders my way I'll get the blower motor replaced and the A/C Charged.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I am familiar with IPD

The timing belt was done 7k mi ago. Will need doing at 350,000 mi if the car lasts that long. It supposedly had a tran fluid refresh not too long ago, (within 20k mi). It's in the maint. Records. I had the serpentine belts put in yesterday and apparently somebody hacked the A/C unit or components into inoperable condition. I'm good with opening the windows for now, lol.

The previous owner also mentioned cleaning the flame trap? What is this and what does it do? Why do you clean it?

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
It has supposedly been cleaned. What do the flame and the oil trap do?

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
It has supposedly been cleaned. What do the flame and the oil trap do?
The oil trap collects non-vapor spew from the crankcase and returns it to the oil pan. The flame trap is a small screen that minimizes the effects of pressure bursts from the crankcase while allowing the vapors to be burned in the combustion process.

George Dill

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Afabula, your car doesn't have a serpentine belt; it has accessory belts (alternator, water pump, power steering, etc.) and a timing belt which drives the camshaft and intermediate shaft (for the oil pump and distributor). The change interval for the timing belt is 50k miles/60K kilometers, and it's a good idea to check/replace the timing belt idler and water pump at the same time so you don't have to pull things apart if one or both of them crap out between the timing belt changes. And happy motoring with your new old brick. :)

Something I forgot; from my own experience, :facepalm: check the condition of timing belt cover sections as you don't want a broken one rubbing on either the timing belt or accessory belts.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Afabula, your car doesn't have a serpentine belt; it has accessory belts (alternator, water pump, power steering, etc.) and a timing belt which drives the camshaft and intermediate shaft (for the oil pump and distributor). The change interval for the timing belt is 50k miles/60K kilometers, and it's a good idea to check/replace the timing belt idler and water pump at the same time so you don't have to pull things apart if one or both of them crap out between the timing belt changes. And happy motoring with your new old brick. :)

Something I forgot; from my own experience, :facepalm: check the condition of timing belt cover sections as you don't want a broken one rubbing on either the timing belt or accessory belts.
Thanks. Yes, I got my terms incorrect. I changed all the belts, I believe the water pump was also done. It stays cool quite effortlessly and the temp gauge doesn't move at all. Everything except the A/C works. The wind noise sounds hellacious though. What's up with the seals on the doors in these cars? LOL is there a kit that makes the doors not rattle, whistle and roar with wind?

I'll get more pics up soon guys!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
You can get new door seals; I can't remember where right now, but I'm sure that George will know. Also available are sets of window rain and wind deflectors on eBay if you do a search, and sometimes used ones come up for sale. I have used front window deflectors on my '88 244 and they work well, but the lad I bought them from didn't have the ones for the rear, so I'm still looking for them.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All things Volvo 240...

http://www.davebarton.com/

George Dill
I order my meese from Dave.

I've been doing small things here and there that needed doing such as those belts and I had the exhaust re-hung as some of the hangers broke and it was hanging real low. Put some new wiper blades on... ya know. After having the car over a week now I have to ask, what kind of fuel economy do you guys experience on the highway? around town?

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
240 fuel economy - lotsa variables, for sure.

A perfect B230F wagon in 5th gear manual trans at 50mph, hard tires, level smooth road, no wind, 50F/90 percent humidity, no extra weight and no AC, corrected for speedo/odo error with mpg measured electronically - 26mpg max.

An old '85 with AT and hot-foot driver in the mountains - less than 15mpg.

Now comes all them 240 people with their stories of 36mpg...

George Dill

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After fueling up I measured my combined estimated fuel economy between highway and putting around town, 20mpg! I let it get down below a quarter tank and it did 212 miles. I'm satisfied as my s60 gets between 18-21mpg doing the same commutes. I'm sure I would get better on the highway but I have yet to take a trip with this car. Looking forward to driving it to Los Angeles! As long as I don't get ran off the road for going 60 mph on the freeway down there... ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts