SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New to SS, meet my R.

Hello guys, I am new to SS and just wanted to share my car and possible ideas.

2004 S60R, purchased with 79K miles.

already had to replace passenger side headlight ballast, replaced both bulbs while i was at it (im a little OCD)

cut the muffle canister off and put bent pipe in place, resonator is still in place. Car sounds amazing. Especially when she spits during shifting after hard acceleration. Plenty of WTF looks haha.

part of the charge pipe has been replaced with IPD silicone piping not sure of the advantages of that.

replaced spark plugs with NGK's

took the turbo off and cleaned it

spark plug coils are IPD

mechanically sound.

M66.. sorry.. i have balls.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Welcome, nice lookin

·
Registered
13,459 Posts
Congrats on the new ride and welcome to swedespeed. Looks like you're down in the southern part of the state. R looks to be in great shape.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats on the new ride and welcome to swedespeed. Looks like you're down in the southern part of the state. R looks to be in great shape.
That I am, Cincinnati to be exact. And she is in beautiful shape. It was the cleanest car I had ever seen with 8 years of age on her.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Congrats onthe new R nad welcome.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Looks like a good buy. And geez, took off the turbo to clean it?? That must have been quite a job!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like a good buy. And geez, took off the turbo to clean it?? That must have been quite a job!
It wasn't that bad. I just made the valve cover my bed for a little while haha. I wanted to make sure there were no deficiencies with it considering it was a 79K mile car. Nothing I could find, so broke her open and went at her with some carbon cleaner.

·
Registered
13,459 Posts
That I am, Cincinnati to be exact. And she is in beautiful shape. It was the cleanest car I had ever seen with 8 years of age on her.
Some Volvos are remarkably well preserved due to many being owned by folks who historically valued the safety of a Volvo but just wanted something a little sportier.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some Volvos are remarkably well preserved due to many being owned by folks who historically valued the safety of a Volvo but just wanted something a little sportier.
I love the quality of the leather. The seats are like nothing I have ever sat in before. Even on a car you would think would be a "luxury" vehicle (a 2010 BMW 545) these seats were better IMO.

Can I make a request. Can someone link me to some "build" threads? I have found 2 so far but i would like to see a few more

·
Registered
13,459 Posts
The leather in the R is much nicer than was found in pretty much any other car available at that time at that price point and better than many other high end cars. The leather supplier for the R (don't recall if it was all three or just atacama) was Bridge of Weir, and replacement seat covers cost about what that name would imply! Yours are in great shape but there is a thread about a company that sells a refinishing kit for nordkap.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I love the quality of the leather. The seats are like nothing I have ever sat in before. Even on a car you would think would be a "luxury" vehicle (a 2010 BMW 545) these seats were better IMO.
Volvo in general have the best seats at any price - I'm six feet, 100 kg and I can get in my caR to drive 200 km with a sore back and come out feeling (in a good way) like I've just had physical therapy. I had an Audi S6 Avant that was exactly the reverse. In addition, my significant other is five feet, three inches, and our three Volvos have been the only cars we can both be completely comfortable driving (also helps that the seat settings are tied to the remotes!)

The only issue I have with our slightly narrower V70R seats is that I almost can't sit in them with my wallet in my back pocket - have to adjust it each time or it is literally a pain in the butt.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
It wasn't that bad. I just made the valve cover my bed for a little while haha. I wanted to make sure there were no deficiencies with it considering it was a 79K mile car. Nothing I could find, so broke her open and went at her with some carbon cleaner.
The turbos have been pretty reliable on our caRs - haven't heard of any failures (although I'm sure there are some) here as long as you are religious about synthetic oil and regular maintenance, which pretty well everyone is. In the builds (check out 'Notable Builds' here: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?69045-S60R-V70R-Modification-amp-Repair-Index ) the main weak area seems to be the thinner walls of our slightly bored-out block, which is remedied by using a more robust block from a T5.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
The seats in my V70R are much more comfortable than the seats in even my 05 Jaguar S Type R. The down side is that the R seats are really starting to show some wear because of how soft they are.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Congats on the purchase - enjoy!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
How many miles are on your R?
165k. I bought it with the leather worn through on the drivers side bolster on the drivers seat at 158k.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts