SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, I just recently purchased a 2004 s60R with 115k miles.. I was just wondering if you guys could point out this noise to see if there is a problem or maybe any advise on anything about this car.. Things I should look out for ect.. I know I have to worry about the angle gear, and the master cylinder.. and the car is pretty much stock. Only thing It has is a IPD electronic boost controller

Btw i just recently changed the oil.. i used Castrol Synthetic 10w-30

Appreciate the help. :)

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I know it's a silly question, but did you put in enough oil? These cars to tick when the oil level gets a little low, but you have a knock. Also, grab the black bar over the top of the engine and see if you can make it clunk. On a stock R, you can move it around, but it shouldn't make a sound, but when had it off and didn't tighten the bolts enough, it made a knock sound and scared me half to death.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Can't hear it, at work. But most of the time when the engine is ticking it's an exhaust gasket is blown out.

Is it loudest during start up then quiets down??

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know it's a silly question, but did you put in enough oil? These cars to tick when the oil level gets a little low, but you have a knock. Also, grab the black bar over the top of the engine and see if you can make it clunk. On a stock R, you can move it around, but it shouldn't make a sound, but when had it off and didn't tighten the bolts enough, it made a knock sound and scared me half to death.
Yeah the stick shows the oil at the top line mark. An the bar does move, but without a lot of movement.. Makes no sound at all.

Can't hear it, at work. But most of the time when the engine is ticking it's an exhaust gasket is blown out.

Is it loudest during start up then quiets down??
The noise seems to stay consistent throughout.. But the noise comes and goes depending on the weather? Its weird.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Yeah the stick shows the oil at the top line mark. An the bar does move, but without a lot of movement.. Makes no sound at all.

The noise seems to stay consistent throughout.. But the noise comes and goes depending on the weather? Its weird.
When was the last time you had your timing belt/ serp belt service? I have similar noises that I'm almost certain is something within the serp belt.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When was the last time you had your timing belt/ serp belt service? I have similar noises that I'm almost certain is something within the serp belt.
Both were changed at 106k miles so that shouldn't be the issue.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
If you can take a better video that would help.. But it may also be an exhaust manifold gasket leak.

I have the same noise and that's what I was told.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
noisy fuel injector? hard to hear.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I was going to say it might just be your fuel injectors till I heard the sound...No idea. I use AMSOIL 10w30 so I doubt it has anything to do with your oil. Is this sound fairly recent; like shortly after your oil change?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was going to say it might just be your fuel injectors till I heard the sound...No idea. I use AMSOIL 10w30 so I doubt it has anything to do with your oil. Is this sound fairly recent; like shortly after your oil change?
The noise doesn't happen all the time, it depends on the day/weather ? It happened 400+ miles after the oil change.. Im not even sure if its oil related at all. Idk, its a weird sound, and I cant pinpoint it.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Also, create a sig. What kind o car are we trouble shooting? Auto, MT?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also, create a sig. What kind o car are we trouble shooting? Auto, MT?
MT. An yeah I have to get my stuff together I just finally started to use this account. :) I bought my R less than 1 month ago.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
MT. An yeah I have to get my stuff together I just finally started to use this account. :)
Right on....does the noise go away when you engage the clutch?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Cool, just checking. Any codes/lights? I'm still betting on fuel injectors or maybe one of your CVVT units trying to correct the timing. If so, who did the belt and did they lock down the cams? Not to scare the poop out of you, just throwing ideas.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cool, just checking. Any codes/lights? I'm still betting on fuel injectors or maybe one of your CVVT units trying to correct the timing. If so, who did the belt and did they lock down the cams? Not to scare the poop out of you, just throwing ideas.
No CEL codes or anything. It might be the injectors though.. An the serp/timing belt were done at an automotive shop that works on volvos in Long Island im pretty sure they did a good job on it. BTW I fell in love with the R.. I sold my s2000 to get it an so far its been amazing.. Just don't want to run into all these problems >.<

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Place a large screwdriver on top of each injector. You willbe able to feel the vibration through the handle. Maybe that will help to pinpoint where the noise is coming from. I used the same method diagnosing my friends waterpump noise on his acura. I positioned a wooden stick on ps pumps and water pump holding the other end against my ear.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
that sounds much louder than my normal valve tap....and in the mornings when I am going through the first few drive cycles, it can get noisy. Many have reported reduced valve train noise when doing a seafoam treatment....could be a quick and cheap thing to get off the checklist.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts