SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I recently purchase a 1995 V70R with just over 49K on it from Don Beyer in Dulles. On my second fill up I calculated the mileage and it was about 13.6 MPG. This seems a little low. Granted 90% of the driving is trips of less than 3 miles with frequent stop signs. So this may be fine.

I'm just wondering if I should change out the plugs, clean the MAF or other steps. I guess what I am getting at is what do they do during CPO inspection? I probably putting off an oil change until 52.5K but should I just order plugs and change them out myself. I hear the process is a little painful.

I am no newbie to car work. I replaced teh motor in my VR6 twice (don't ask) and I go to the point that my buddy and I could pull and break down a motor in less than 8 hours.

I have installed a K&N and am considering both the TCV group buy and the CAI from IPD.

One more thing I am getting an interesting sensation when I turn the steering wheel, a thumping through the floor of the car. I'm guessing there could be something going on with the bushings? I bet that's like $500-$1000 and not covered under CPO.

The R is good fun and pulls better than my VR6 even as hopped up as it was.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Re: New to R gas milage CPO and maintenance (nbwallace)

Wow, I didn't realize you could get a 1995 CPO! How long is the warranty? Sorry I can't help with your questions, just thought I'd say welcome to SS, and my father-in-law has an 1995 850 T-5R and loves it!

Adam

·
Registered
21,340 Posts

Quote, originally posted by nbwallace »
Hi All,

I recently purchase a 1995 V70R with just over 49K on it from Don Beyer in Dulles. On my second fill up I calculated the mileage and it was about 13.6 MPG. This seems a little low. Granted 90% of the driving is trips of less than 3 miles with frequent stop signs. So this may be fine.

I'm just wondering if I should change out the plugs, clean the MAF or other steps. I guess what I am getting at is what do they do during CPO inspection? I probably putting off an oil change until 52.5K but should I just order plugs and change them out myself. I hear the process is a little painful.

I am no newbie to car work. I replaced teh motor in my VR6 twice (don't ask) and I go to the point that my buddy and I could pull and break down a motor in less than 8 hours.

I have installed a K&N and am considering both the TCV group buy and the CAI from IPD.

One more thing I am getting an interesting sensation when I turn the steering wheel, a thumping through the floor of the car. I'm guessing there could be something going on with the bushings? I bet that's like $500-$1000 and not covered under CPO.

The R is good fun and pulls better than my VR6 even as hopped up as it was.

Welcome fellow NoVA member. I work about 1 mile from DB dulles. We have some good events around here so keep your eyes peeled for posts.

13.6 MPG is low but for that type of driving not all THAT low. You'll learn to drive the car to get better mileage. Keep out of the boost on those stop / go type runs. Car sucks gas on cold warmups so you're not doing it many favors there.

Plugs are called for at 60k. No harm in doing them early, it's your money. It's not really hard either.

Don't mess with the MAF. They are sensitive. If you have an issue, you'll know it.

I would change the oil to get synthetic in it. I'm sure DB didn't use it, you're lucky if you got blend.

Too bad about the K&N - I'd send it back if you can. They tend to crack and not fit well, better off getting one of the other cleanable filters.

The sensation when you turn the wheel, is that when parked? Check the TNN list (Tech Net Note) thread in the FAQ thread at the top of the forum, that should get you started with some basic malady knowledge. Could be the steering yoke issue.

Most everything IS covered under CPO, except for hoses. Just got my lower control arm bushings replaced at 80k, still warranty.

Good luck!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In fact it's that Red/Gobi car. I didn't pay what they were asking. But I think I got a little hosed too. I paid to have the CPO extended 2 years as we won't do 50K miles in four years.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Re: New to R gas milage CPO and maintenance (Needsdecaf)

Quote, originally posted by Needsdecaf »

I work about 1 mile from DB dulles.

So West down Waxpool past Wegmans or North towards Dulles Town Center?

A few years back I was in a tornado event just 100 ft from Dominion Brewery. Some of the buildings around there had their roofs torn off and many trees were uprooted. Wegmans is my all time favorite food store. Where else can you find Kobe Inside Skirt Steaks?

I lived in a neighborhood down the Steeplechase Light off 28 right near the Ferrari/Maserati Dealer but on the East side of 28. Good Times

·
Registered
796 Posts
Changing the plugs isn't painful at all. A little time consuming at most, because you do take off the over the engine pipe. Other than that it's pretty straight forward. I changed the plugs in about 45 minutes. Plugs cost me about $55 at the dealer.

·
Registered
572 Posts

Welcome to SS
a fair amount of fellow R drivers are in NOVA/MD/DC area as well, always nice to add another to the ranks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Welcome to Swedespeed!

VR6 motors? Did you cleave the oil pan in two going over a rock like my friend did some years ago with his Golf GTI?

The CPO is worth it. Oh yes, indeed.

The CPO inspection is more for the dealer than it is for the customer, though they'll fix a few things if they need it (better value for them if they wait for the customer to bring a problem to their attention).

The value comes from having all kinds of expensive things fixed that will go wrong during the CPO period -- repair costs on R's can add up quickly!

In the ten months that I've had my 04 V70R, I've had about $1750 of work covered by the CPO, lots of little things like tie rod ends, fuel pressure sensor, rain squeal fix, software fixes, etc.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: New to R gas milage CPO and maintenance (Oceans60R)

Quote, originally posted by Oceans60R »

So West down Waxpool past Wegmans or North towards Dulles Town Center?

Neither.
East of 28 off of Sterling Blvd.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: New to R gas milage CPO and maintenance (Needsdecaf)

Thanks for the replies.

No oil pan on the VR6. Dropped a couple of valve springs and had some metal in the motor. I rebuilt it it to 3.0 and it burned a quart of oil every 750 miles. Bought a used bottom end and still burned that much oil. I Can tear down a VR6 in eight hours. I never want to do that to the R.

It is by far the nicest fastest car I've ever driven. I could do without the pinstripes. I will try to remove the dealer decal this weekend.

I have some third row seats coming via fedex on Saturday. Anyone done the install. Seems like it might be pretty easy. But the online video is terrible quality.

Oh and is Beyer in Alexandria decent? It's an awful long drive to Dulles.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

The car finally threw a CEL. Took it to Beyer Alexandria and low and behold it had a bad cat. It's nice to know I wasn't just losing my mind. I suspect the car might be a lot quicker when I get the new cat put in. Plus it had some loose parts in the front suspension.

So much for CPO inspection.

·
Registered
930 Posts

Quote, originally posted by nbwallace »

So much for CPO inspection.

My CPO XC90 didn't even get inspected before I took delivery.

Sales Mgr. later said it "fell through the cracks", and that the car was on the lot a very short time. He also claimed they did the inspection when I took the car in for a bad wheel bearing a couple weeks after delivery. Their techs are either amazingly fast, or some of those inspection items still may not have been checked.

What's my point? Unless you witnessed the inspection being performed, it may not have been. Someone mentioned earlier that the inspection is really for the dealership. That may be true, but for me one advantage of the CPO program is that it should minimize unscheduled maintenance--because of the thorough inspection. When trips to the dealership involve unpaid time off work, each such trip negatively impacts the ownership experience.

Anyway, I hope you'll have no further problems with your caR.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.