SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yay - my 4th volvo and not leaving again anytime soon. I knew I had found the one when my back didn't hurt when I climbed into the front drivers seat.

http://fitzmall.com/fitzway/carfind/RESULTSB.ASP?V_XREFID=1002630779446

Just purchased an 03 nautic blue volvo, T5, 5 speed manual and its in need of a few standard volvo items before it can pass MD inspection. has 99K miles and looks like no one sat in any seat other than drivers seat

needs tires - going to mount a winter set till I decide on what 3 season skins to get

Rotors and pads so taking this opportunity to do the 336mm xc90 rotor/caliper swap that wizzard_al performed - great writeup btw - will amalthea rims clear - don't want to mount my snows on them if they don't but will if they do clear. If anyone has this setup, please let me know.

inner tie rod ends and alignment - going to have my indy shop do these.

rear swaybar links - ordering IPD hd links soon.

upper engine mount - pretty sure it is the square design so ipd one - can't do the insert

parking light bulb, and wiper blades round out what it should need for inspection to pass.

have dealer service records but no indication of timing belt so that is coming up soon, may have it done while I still have a rental from insurance or once my accord is out of the shop before I get it sold.

First P2 car so anything I need to be on the lookout for over a 96 855T or '00v70xc? Thanks in advance and my back is delighted to be in a volvo seat again!

Ludman

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Yay - my 4th volvo and not leaving again anytime soon. I knew I had found the one when my back didn't hurt when I climbed into the front drivers seat.

http://fitzmall.com/fitzway/carfind/RESULTSB.ASP?V_XREFID=1002630779446

Just purchased an 03 nautic blue volvo, T5, 5 speed manual and its in need of a few standard volvo items before it can pass MD inspection. has 99K miles and looks like no one sat in any seat other than drivers seat

needs tires - going to mount a winter set till I decide on what 3 season skins to get

Rotors and pads so taking this opportunity to do the 336mm xc90 rotor/caliper swap that wizzard_al performed - great writeup btw - will amalthea rims clear - don't want to mount my snows on them if they don't but will if they do clear. If anyone has this setup, please let me know.

inner tie rod ends and alignment - going to have my indy shop do these.

rear swaybar links - ordering IPD hd links soon.

upper engine mount - pretty sure it is the square design so ipd one - can't do the insert

parking light bulb, and wiper blades round out what it should need for inspection to pass.

have dealer service records but no indication of timing belt so that is coming up soon, may have it done while I still have a rental from insurance or once my accord is out of the shop before I get it sold.

First P2 car so anything I need to be on the lookout for over a 96 855T or '00v70xc? Thanks in advance and my back is delighted to be in a volvo seat again!

Ludman
Silver Springs, huh? No wonder you want to upsize the brakes... ;)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Part of the reason my other car is still at the body shop over a month later is that I couldn't stop before someone hit my front passenger side. It is better to be L-boned than T-boned when your child is on that side. You could say that I am glad to be in a Volvo for other reasons too. Front disk upgrade is to prevent any boning from another vehicle if they decide to turn left into me with out looking first from a side street. ;)

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
My only advice is that the R brakes are easier to swap and likely perform better. The only down side is being relegated to pegs.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
R brakes will be bolt on, you just need the calipers, protectors, pads, rotors and pin/locks. I have about 6 years with them and i really like it
You will need R wheels in 17 or 18, stock T5 will not work

·
Registered
773 Posts
Reason I did the XC90 brakes was cost, and fun time figuring out if it could be done. Yes, the R Brembos are bolt on, but you still want the backing plates. At the time, ErieVovo wanted $1,000 for a set of 4 brakes, and that was just too steep. For hard driving, the Bermbos are likely better, but the XC90 brakes were very strong, the disc is big enough to soak up a ton of heat on hard braking, and not fade. Remember, it does weight a teensy bit more than the standard S60. today, Erievovo is advertising two complete sets of calipers, mounting brackets and brake lines for $877, and you still need to purchase the discs and backing plates. Stock S60 backing plates are smaller diameter, and they are there to protect the disc from rocks, etc.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
O but r brakes looks amazing!!!!! Lol

·
Registered
219 Posts
IMO XC90 brakes look not bad either... talking about look, the 336mm rotor is bigger than R's 330mm rotor, and you can always paint your calipers later, to get a even better appearance.

For me an upgrade from 286mm rotors to 305mm rotors is enough LOL! I'm not doing track days or anything.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I kind of wanted to stay away from the R brakes due to expense and being relegated to Pegs - pretty heavy vs tethys but xc90 disks weigh 5 pounds more so it is probably close in weight either way. I like the sleeper look of the xc90 over R brakes - not a showy guy. I do have a C5 vette aluminum caliper I may take a look and see if there is a way to make them work. Time is against me as winter approaches and I am without a garage so I have to think about that.

Thanks for the responses and if I get the C5 caliper to work I will post a how to.

Ugh just pulled it out and it is massive but very light, looks like I would need pegs for clearance - ah well.

Craig

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
I kind of wanted to stay away from the R brakes due to expense and being relegated to Pegs
Relegated to Pegs and like hundreds of options from TireRack.com and other places... that are mostly all better/cheaper than Volvo OEM wheels... :)

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
even a set of ugly ass sport editions, enkeis, american racing, etc is going to cost you a thousand dollars with a set of tires...

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Relegated to Pegs and like hundreds of options from TireRack.com and other places... that are mostly all better/cheaper than Volvo OEM wheels... :)
I disagree. Volvo has a ton of great looking wheels. I'm a fan of my Arrakis wheels I have on my S60.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
If you know how to search you can actually find pegaus wheels for i really good price with tires.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Meh - t-rack had like 14 options for R cars - lightweight and pricey but sweet OZ's and lots of other HEAVY rims so I don't know now. discount tire direct had like 6 or 8 so unless I want to spend a ton of cash, pegs and maybe 20 other options are out there. I don't know about hundreds ;)

All the replies are making me rethink my plans even though a used set of tethys is coming to me already.

I guess I will take a trip to the local pick-n-pull and see if I find any R's or XC's - not likely but I have been surprised before.

17" Pegs are starting to creep back in my mind since I live and commute thru pothole ridden areas, pegs seem to be pretty tough but not totally indestructible - definitely stronger than older volvo rims. Moving up in size to 17" or 18" from 16" on my previous 855T is new territory for me. More inches = more bucks!

Craig

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
i have 18" pegasus and been there for years, i have painted/fixed just one time 2 of them due bad highways in my town, but nothing more. Plus i love how to car looks.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Going with 336mm brakes up front, stock size in rear, have a single canisto, 3 thors, set of amaltheas for test fitting once front rotors arrive. waiting on ss lines and akebono ceramic front pads, dust shields and carriers to arrive next week.

Craig

·
Registered
773 Posts
I'll be curious to hear your take on them when installed. I did both front and rear, and never regretted it, but the rears were probably overkill. No such thing as too much brake capability in my book. What you'll like is that the piston in the XC90 caliper is the same size as the stock S60, so you won't have any problem with inconsistent braking, but you should notice that it takes a bit less pressure on the brake pedal to stop quickly.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
quick possibly stupid question - right front parking/turn signal bulb is a PY21w and the parking light won't function. 1156a will not fit - isn't that a european spec bulb and holder - really confused and know this won't pass maryland inspection. TIA!

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
I disagree. Volvo has a ton of great looking wheels. I'm a fan of my Arrakis wheels I have on my S60.
Looks are subjective...

Objectively though, the tirerack choices are lighter/cheaper than most anything Volvo offers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts