SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

201 - 219 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
15,964 Posts
Sounds like it's too stripped for him. He probably would have bought it as a complete car with the damage described though. Saffrons are big $ restored in Europe.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
It will be black. I did buy bedliner for it. I’d prefer powdercoat (gets in the nooks and crannies better), but I’m waiting on a price and if my guy can fit it in his oven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice thing about the Rhino liner is you get that rugged look finish as well. Its also inherently grippy for crap to be strapped to....?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
Sounds like it's too stripped for him. He probably would have bought it as a complete car with the damage described though. Saffrons are big $ restored in Europe.
It was too something for everyone. Sat on CL in Portland for $1300 for several cycles. No one wanted it cause it was trashed. So, I’m not going to lose any sleep over crushing it.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
Nice thing about the Rhino liner is you get that rugged look finish as well. Its also inherently grippy for crap to be strapped to....?
Only thing I’m worried about is it being grippy if I want to slide something heavy up there. Also grippy if I want to wash it.

Someone suggested color matching it to the car, but I don’t think that would look very good.

·
Registered
15,964 Posts
It was too something for everyone. Sat on CL in Portland for $1300 for several cycles. No one wanted it cause it was trashed. So, I’m not going to lose any sleep over crushing it.
Yeah you gotta know the right people to be able to move project P80s out of here. The US market for Volvos is a joke. Took me a while to find out who the players were, too.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
About to give in to my impatience and pop this up on the roof before all the lights come in. I suppose I can consider it a “test fit”

·
Registered
854 Posts
Wow, now Grand Tour is really gonna want your vehicle. Volvo winch FTW

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
That’s gonna look really cool when it’s finished up. I really like the jig and clamp bracket you made to finalize the bends in the tube.

Are you planning to mold the top portion of the bumper to the tubes, or make it a separate piece?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
That’s gonna look really cool when it’s finished up. I really like the jig and clamp bracket you made to finalize the bends in the tube.

Are you planning to mold the top portion of the bumper to the tubes, or make it a separate piece?
It’ll be a separate piece. With a row of fasteners.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Looking good, need a front picture to see the lights

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
Updates:

Got the subframe out of the parts car for my trailer. Got an interesting plan (at least to me) to adapt a one wire alternator to the pinion on the diff to charge a battery bank on the trailer as you tow. Not connected directly to the vehicle wiring for charging. This also will let me have a 6th and 7th matching wheel/tire for extreme problems. As well, it’s basically a full set of control arms/suspension in case disaster strikes while camping in the middle of nowhere.

OE XC wheel/tire vs what’s on my car

Waiting for the right time to swap the front bumper (and waiting for my vinyl guy to wrap the top cap)

I know this probably won’t be popular, but since I’m putting a swing away tire carrier on the back, hatch access is a bit more difficult to access on an every day use case, so I’m replacing this window with an aluminum panel with an access door

Side note: in typical Adam fashion, I made my own tool to pull the three rear windows. My glass guy wanted +/- $350 just to pull the three windows. Soooo, I welded a sharpened putty knife to the end of a dull sawzall blade and got after it. Saved all three windows

In the meantime, I started the rear bumper. I’m making the “base” extra sturdy to attempt to make the swing away carrier stable and the hitch strong. 3” x 5” rectangle tube

That’s when I got the idea! If I’m adding this big chunk, why not put it to a secondary use? So I capped the ends, went over the welds a couple times and turned it into a 2.5 gallon air tank. I already planned on having an onboard compressor, so this should help the duty cycle

Filled it up to 100 psi and left it over the weekend. Dropped a couple psi. Could be through the ball valve, but either way, I’m good with it

Had my alternator die on me after some higher than usual revs merging on the freeway and the dipstick popped up spraying oil everywhere. So, swapped the alternator with a P2 160A version and I’m doing the PCV this weekend. I hate doing the PCV. I did them just before selling my last two cars. I’m gonna toss a new timing belt on while I’m taking things apart.

That’s where I’m at right now.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
There was a wind/rain storm here last night (I know, shocking! In Seattle? No way). It was really nice to be able to just drive to work and not have to worry about downed branches and debris. Just drive over everything.

·
Registered
277 Posts
You continue to drop my jaw with your projects. Keep up the good work!

I also am doing a PCV this week and hate having to do so. I made a mistake of buying the budget (20% less than OE)breather tube that wraps around the head last time and after just a year and a half, it's dry rotted and leaking coolant over the front of my motor.

This is on the '99 and they made the system overly complex in my opinion. For my 98 I just used a 5/8" heater cord pipe with a supporting elbow around the head. Much more robust and will never clog.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

201 - 219 of 219 Posts