SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, since I’ve had this thing for a while, maybe I should start a thread.

I sold my P2 XC70 to a good friend down in California that needed a new daily.

Around the same time, another friend decided to buy a Tesla and was going to sell his 2000 V70R. Average miles, but well taken care of and had the transmission replaced with a NOS unit not that long ago. Perfect starting point. The very first thing I did was put some VSTs on it and lowered it a hair.

I was dailying it and really enjoying it for about a month.....

Guy was haulin in his bro-Tacoma and literally swiped the bumper straight off the car. Honestly it was pretty surgical. Somehow he clipped the bumper, but didn’t touch the fender, hood, headlight or anything else. The downside is that cause it hit the backbar too, it tweaked both frame horns.

That takes us to part 2...

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Knowing that dealing with insurance can be a headache, and needing a car to drive, I picked up another P80 AWD car to potentially do an “everything” swap into if they totaled the VR.

I really liked the red, and honestly just wanted a shell. This car turned out to be a typical Craigslist gem. Lots of undisclosed/hidden issues. Including the check engine bulb being completely removed. I started by cleaning the car too to bottom and fixing some of the small issues.

Replacing the sagging Nivomats wasn’t important just yet since this could wind up as a P80 XC70R, but I didn’t like the reverse rake, so I did what I do. Started thinking ahead and seeing what I could build myself, and cane up with a way to do coilover sleeves using as much OE styled stuff to keep a good ride, but have adjustable height.

·
Registered
16,527 Posts
Looking forward to seeing your amazing fabrication work make it to P80 land!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Taking the car to the “recommended” body shop and getting a $16k repair estimate, I knew I’d be in for a fight. After going back and forth with insurance, I finally got them to send an adjuster to my house and he looked the car over. After many “wow, this thing is super clean”s by the adjuster, we finally came to the conclusion that the body shop obviously just didn’t want to do the work and that the car could be repaired. We got the repair price up as high as we could without totaling the car and I started digging in. I got the frame straightened first.

Since iPd is right around the corner we jumped straight into prep for that... first color change wrap. Gloss grey 3M vinyl

Test fitting big brake upgrade

Since my company logo has the like green in it, I decided to create my own color and add some pop

·
Registered
91 Posts
Adam, it's been a while, sorry for losing touch with you, but you never cease to amaze me, you are one of the greats with cars and I'm glad you love Volvos. Looking forward to see what's next

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had an idea for my exhaust as well as something my company could potentially sell, so I toke a specific measurement of where to cut, and popped off the axle back exhaust. Then I made a fixture to locate all the specific points.

What I’m building is a split right after the axle, one side running over to a muffler on the passenger side, and the other side going to a boost-actuated dump valve. So in theory, quiet during normal operation and rowdy under boost. I’m also plotting a way to be able to run it open dump all the time.
(currently waiting on some straight pipe to arrive to finish the second side)

And because I now have a very specific look in my head for the overall car, the VSTs had to go gloss black (honestly not usually a fan of black wheels, but I have a good feeling for the overall combo).

·
Registered
91 Posts
Again, never cease to amaze me sir!

So did you wrap the silver or red V70?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here’s some pics of the bumper repair...

Backside stitching of the tears

Then plastic reinforcement on the back

Frontside plastic filler

Figured while I’m here, I’ll delete the wiper spots (never was a fan and this way I don’t have to replace the motors or missing blades), I made a template then found a junk bumper cover at a body shop (best to use similar materials when repairing/modifying bumpers) and cut out dome chunks

I’ll post more as I do stuff/have time.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looking forward to seeing your amazing fabrication work make it to P80 land!
Thanks, my first Volvo was an 855, so I’m actually kinda glad to be back in this gen car. Work takes up most of my time, so this’ll probably progress pretty slowly. In comparison to other projects.

·
Registered
16,527 Posts
What struts and adjustable spring perches for the homemade coilovers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What struts and adjustable spring perches for the homemade coilovers?

Just regular Sachs struts that I cut the spring perch off of

These are the coilover sleeves I used.

The set I’ve been running for a while now is using Eibach 10” 300lb springs. It’s a nice slightly performance spring rate. I ordered some 275lb spring to swap out and see if it’s just a bit softer. If so, I’ll eventually run the 275s on the XC for more daily use and the 300s on the VR for a nice street use feel.

·
Registered
16,527 Posts
Just regular Sachs struts that I cut the spring perch off of

These are the coilover sleeves I used.

The set I’ve been running for a while now is using Eibach 10” 300lb springs. It’s a nice slightly performance spring rate. I ordered some 275lb spring to swap out and see if it’s just a bit softer. If so, I’ll eventually run the 275s on the XC for more daily use and the 300s on the VR for a nice street use feel.
Length? Been meaning to give this a shot. FWIW KWs are 9kg/mm front rate

·
Registered
15,767 Posts
In disbelief but not. SO glad you were OK with the bro-Tacoma doofus.
You have the vision, the composure and the ability to take lemons and make outstanding thirst-quenching lemonade, man.
If they're having Carlisle this year, you should fly and rent and attend. Would be an honor to meet and hang with you.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Length? Been meaning to give this a shot. FWIW KWs are 9kg/mm front rate

Spring length? Currently 10”. Yeah, I’m kinda over the super stiff ride. My cars won’t ever see the track, so I’m trying to come up with something similar to OE (a little stiffer), but with adjustable height.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In disbelief but not. SO glad you were OK with the bro-Tacoma doofus.
You have the vision, the composure and the ability to take lemons and make outstanding thirst-quenching lemonade, man.
If they're having Carlisle this year, you should fly and rent and attend. Would be an honor to meet and hang with you.
Sometimes I think I shouldn’t be so nice. I helped the Tacoma guy put his spare tire on so he could drive home (he didn’t know where his jack was, or how to lower the spare tire), but shortly after he claimed an injury and was trying to say it was my fault. Luckily I take TONS of picture when I’m in an accident (before I move my car).

1 - 20 of 219 Posts