SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

...kinda takes some of the fun out of heading down the mt to the land of denser air and higher octane ratings ... did the oil barons finally/recently realize that the only folks still buying premium were the ones who more or less needed to, or what?

(btw, the nearby Shell station wanted an extra $0.05 premium for premium!)

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Yeah... I pay 2.89 for 93 right now... I think midgrade is like 2.50. Fracking absurd. And I have no choice, neither does anyone else in my family really. The downside to only owning FI cars.

·
Registered
390 Posts
The huge difference between regular and premium? Unfortunately, it's been like that where I am for a while now too. I remember growing up where mid grade was .10 higher than regular and premium .10 higher than that. Those days are gone it seems, at least at the reputable name brand gas stations.

·
Registered
868 Posts
It's still a $0.10 difference between grades at most (maybe 3/4) places out west. This is probably a reaction by beancounters, trying to eke more profits out somewhere in the light of persistent, historically-low oil prices. Blame OPEC for keeping prices low, except when we blame them for keeping prices high :p

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
I absolutely refuse to shop at stations that do this. We've got a gas station that's on my way to work that will make their premium be over $3 when their regular is in the low $2's. I've found a few other local stations that I can go to when I'm out for lunch who price their premium fuel at a reasonable rate. I really think it's like OP said, the stations know if you need it, you'll pay what they ask for it.

Use fuel pricing trackers (gasbuddy.com, etc) to beat this silliness.

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
Yeah... I pay 2.89 for 93 right now... I think midgrade is like 2.50. Fracking absurd. And I have no choice, neither does anyone else in my family really. The downside to only owning FI cars.
$2.89 for premium? I pay $2.29 for premium but, I'm sure the price will unfornatetly slowly come back up though.

·
3,899 Posts
2.63 for 93 here an that's amazing. Most places are over 2.85 easily... You guys get it cheap!

·
Registered
390 Posts
$2.89 for premium? I pay $2.29 for premium but, I'm sure the price will unfornatetly slowly come back up though.
Gas is a lot more expensive in CT than Jersey. We don't have any tolls so they jack up the gas tax.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I'm jealous of my wife and her crosstrek. With her regular gas and 36mpg.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,734 Posts
just paid 3.69/gallon in san francisco think I bought the most expensive gas in the country :eek:
paying 1.92 from premium here.

·
Registered
911 Posts
What I have noticed is that many of the stations that show a large jump in price from Mid-grade to Premium is due to the fact that their Regular and Mid-grade contain 10% Ethanol while the Premium contains no ethanol. Incidentally, I've come across many stations where the Regular is more expensive than the Mid-grade for the same reason: no ethanol in the Regular. Fuels with ethanol are subsidized...makes sense to me.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
When I was down south near sea level I enjoyed having access to 93 octane but was paying an average of $2.70 for it.

Now that I'm back up in the mountains I'm limited to 91 octane again but at least its only around $2.15.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
$.75/gal spread between regular and premium :eek: Out here our spread is about $.35 now, when only a year ago it was $.26 and 2 years ago it was the usual $.20, or a dime to mid and another dime to premium. Sux to be you. IMHO even $.35 is price gouging.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm in Michigan and paying $2.09 for premium at Costco. I think the reason the difference is so vast is because 87 octane and possibly even mid grade fuels switch to winter blends using cheaper ingredients/additives. I think I read somewhere that they add butane? Or at least use it to refine it.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Yup butane is added to keep cost down and higher amounts can be used due to stability at colder temps. But it's also why your MPG goes down due to less carbon atoms for combustion

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
paying 1.92 from premium here.
Was pleasantly surprised how cheap 93 was out west on my recent cross country trip to Vegas. Beats the 2.60-2.90 I'm paying around here.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I just paid $2.89 for non-ethanol 91, 93 10% ethanol was $2.69, and 10% 87 was $2.19. I usually get the 93, but thought I'd try out the non-ethanol stuff for a few tanks. So far, my mpg has gone from 16.5 to 18.5 even with me driving more aggressively since I put it in. Since someone brought it up, does anyone know if they put the additives in everything or do they keep non-ethanol gas the same for winter/summer?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
best we get here is marked 91 (because Kansas is a 3rd world country) but i paid 1.86 a gallon a few minutes ago.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts