SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband went "looking" yesterday (I was not along), and he traded in my trusty Ford CMax on a certified used 2018 V60. I'm unhappy to say the least. I'll get used to driving it, EXCEPT it doesn't have decent navigation. My little CMax had FREE GPS-based navigation that spoke to me turn-by-turn, and this one has some dreadful map thing that does nothing, to say the least. I'm not having much luck finding out how to upgrade just the navigation to Sensus Navigation. I do NOT want the whole Sensus Connect thing, which seems to be $20 a month, and I don't want to use my cell phone because I'd have to upgrade my internet plan and pay more per month for that.

I'd appreciate some feedback from anyone who has upgraded just the Sensus Navigation, how much it cost, and any pros and cons.

Thank you - knitbunnie

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Your phone should use data and GPS for navigation, not internet. As for Volvo's navigation system...if you don't like it now, you never will, it has some very irritating features, but some love it, go figure. Other than that, enjoy your Volvo, they are nice cars.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Another option is to get a tom Tom or Garmin with traffic data as well as lifetime maps. You'd pay from 60-100 dollars for a unit on sale.

That would be a good middle option imho and also great for long trips since satellite navigation is more reliable than cell phone gps

·
Registered
71 Posts
Some misconceptions to clear up....

Your phone should use data and GPS for navigation, not internet.
Your telephone data IS internet. When OP says she has to upgrade her internet plan, she's talking about her telephone data plan.

.... satellite navigation is more reliable than cell phone gps
Cell phone GPS IS the same satellite navigation as a dedicated GPS unit. The phone has a GPS receiver built in. You can install a GPS monitor app on your phone and it will tell you which GPS satellites the phone can see.

As long as you have the maps downloaded before you leave home, you don't need any kind of cell phone data plan (or any cell phone coverage at all) to use your cell phone as a navigation unit. You just won't get live traffic.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Oh I didn't know that. Regardless, if it's between spending a one time payment of 60-100 for a Garmin with live traffic and lifetime maps vs spending 20 a month extra or whatever the new cell phone data plan is, I'd spring for the Garmin.

In 3 months you'd amortize the one time outlay.

Live maps is a really big deal. You need to save time by having gps point out accidents or faster routes after traffic changes.

At least it is in my neck of the woods where it's one of the biggest metro areas in the US and notorious for slow traffic

·
Registered
666 Posts
.. one time payment of 60-100 for a Garmin with live traffic and lifetime maps vs spending 20 a month extra or whatever the new cell phone data plan is, I'd spring for the Garmin.
How does the Garmin get live traffic? Is there a SIM card in there or something?

Edit: Says here that Live traffic is available when paired with the smartphone app. So i guess its using the phone data to update
https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=i34WV8maJa11t7iwvYnz18

·
Registered
40 Posts
How does the Garmin get live traffic? Is there a SIM card in there or something?

Edit: Says here that Live traffic is available when paired with the smartphone app. So i guess its using the phone data to update
https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=i34WV8maJa11t7iwvYnz18
Oh wow never mind. I guess I was wrong! For some reason I thought the Garmin had live traffic by itself.

I never thought about the issues with lack of data since my phone plan is very affordable and has unlimited data thanks to a family member who works for one of the main phone carriers.

·
Registered
698 Posts
My husband went "looking" yesterday (I was not along), and he traded in my trusty Ford CMax on a certified used 2018 V60. I'm unhappy to say the least. I'll get used to driving it, EXCEPT it doesn't have decent navigation. My little CMax had FREE GPS-based navigation that spoke to me turn-by-turn, and this one has some dreadful map thing that does nothing, to say the least. I'm not having much luck finding out how to upgrade just the navigation to Sensus Navigation. I do NOT want the whole Sensus Connect thing, which seems to be $20 a month, and I don't want to use my cell phone because I'd have to upgrade my internet plan and pay more per month for that.

I'd appreciate some feedback from anyone who has upgraded just the Sensus Navigation, how much it cost, and any pros and cons.

Thank you - knitbunnie
I'd be curious to know more about your car and the options you have. From my understanding, all 2018 V60s with navigation have turn-by-turn directions. You shouldn't have to pay a monthly fee for internet data just to get turn-by-turn navigation. No internet connection is needed for that. You should only need to pay the monthly fee if you want to search using the internet and get real time traffic.

Also, if you're willing to spend a few bucks upfront (usually less than $50), you can get a Freedom Pop sim and then pay $0 per month to keep your car connected to the internet. It's a very limited amount of data, but plenty for using the internet connected map features.

·
Registered
187 Posts
GPS navigation is horrible on our Volvo, when you have experienced 3D touch GPS is hard to do without, I use Google Maps on my Iphone

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm surprised you do not have unlimited phone plan in the USA, we only have 4G unlimited phone plans in France for $ 20 per month

·
Registered
180 Posts
In Canada we are getting screwed by the big telcos for mobile phone plans. For $25 CDN all I get is phone and text. Forget data until you get to $75 with Rogers.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
In Canada we are getting screwed by the big telcos for mobile phone plans. For $25 CDN all I get is phone and text. Forget data until you get to $75 with Rogers.
but.. but.. free socialized medicine?!? and a handsome (soon-to-be-ex?) prime minister who's not crazy?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
May be free, but the taxes just keep going up and up. What do you mean "who's not crazy?" Have you seen some of the sh%t he's done?

·
Registered
4,636 Posts

Thank you - knitbunnie
Call a few local dealers to find out how much to upgrade to full Sensus Navigation System; they are the only ones that can upgrade the vehicle to Sensus Navigation.

·
Registered
307 Posts
This thread may be helpful in resolving your issue:
https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?469897-Sensus-Connect-Sensus-Upgrade-Confused!!

It seems you may have the "internet maps" version of navigation. According to the comments, it sounds like it may be a 4 figure (i.e., $1000+) upgrade to Sensus navigation which, unfortunately, is not a cheap option.

It originally came as part of the "Navigation & Harmon Kardon Package" on the base Dynamic model, which must be what your husband purchased. The following link is to a 2018 V60 brochure which lists all the standard equipment, packages, and standalone options. I have a 2018 V60 Dynamic with Vision and Nav/HK packages, as well as individual options for heated front seats/steering wheel and AWD.
https://dealerinspire-brochure.s3.amazonaws.com/1469.pdf

·
Registered
698 Posts
This thread may be helpful in resolving your issue:
https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?469897-Sensus-Connect-Sensus-Upgrade-Confused!!

It seems you may have the "internet maps" version of navigation. According to the comments, it sounds like it may be a 4 figure (i.e., $1000+) upgrade to Sensus navigation which, unfortunately, is not a cheap option.

It originally came as part of the "Navigation & Harmon Kardon Package" on the base Dynamic model, which must be what your husband purchased. The following link is to a 2018 V60 brochure which lists all the standard equipment, packages, and standalone options. I have a 2018 V60 Dynamic with Vision and Nav/HK packages, as well as individual options for heated front seats/steering wheel and AWD.
https://dealerinspire-brochure.s3.amazonaws.com/1469.pdf
That makes sense. This is why I was asking the OP specifically about the options her car has. It sounds like she doesn't have a NAV button, but has a globe button with internet maps. I agree she's pretty much stuck using her phone.

EDIT: I just read the thread you linked and I guess she does have a NAV button, but no navigation software. Until I read that thread, I didn't realize that was a thing. It's definitely misleading to use the term "navigation" to describe "internet maps." I feel bad for the OPs husband. He's going to be hearing about this one for a while.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Wondering if VDASH could get this for you? That’d likely be a much less expensive option

·
Registered
7,093 Posts

Thank you - knitbunnie
1. The GPS maps on the 15.5-18's is "adequate". Often lacking destination on the Right or Left Prompts. Pretty annoying. Only platinum models have speed limits displayed (annoying). I use my Google Maps in conjunction with Volvo GPS to know speed limits and get idea of traffic.

FYI and I just learned this: Traffic on the Volvo Nav is "complimentary" for 3 years. Then it expires and is $3.99 / month through sirius radio.

2. 2019+ S60s have a redesigned display and I believe support Android Auto / Car Play. 2015.5-18 uses Volvo's proprietary Sensus System (see above).

Overall, the guidance is accurate minus the alerts on which side of the rode to look at for your point of arrival. And the lack of speed limits for non platinum models. You'll get use to the system. Give it time.

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
I'd be curious to know more about your car and the options you have. From my understanding, all 2018 V60s with navigation have turn-by-turn directions. You shouldn't have to pay a monthly fee for internet data just to get turn-by-turn navigation. No internet connection is needed for that. You should only need to pay the monthly fee if you want to search using the internet and get real time traffic.

Also, if you're willing to spend a few bucks upfront (usually less than $50), you can get a Freedom Pop sim and then pay $0 per month to keep your car connected to the internet. It's a very limited amount of data, but plenty for using the internet connected map features.
OP is referring to data necessary to power Google Maps, Waze, etc on her phone I presume. Guessing OP is on a limited data plan and doesn't want to upgrade.

15.5-18s require a $3.99 subscription to Sirius Traffic if you wish to receive live traffic updates and navigation that accounts for slowdowns and permits re-routing.

Volvo's GPS is adequate. Not great (because lacking destination on right or left for a lot of places is ANNOYING). And only giving speedlimits to platinum models is another irksome quirk. I load up google maps on my phone in tandem if taking a long drive.

·
Registered
698 Posts
OP is referring to data necessary to power Google Maps, Waze, etc on her phone I presume. Guessing OP is on a limited data plan and doesn't want to upgrade.

15.5-18s require a $3.99 subscription to Sirius Traffic if you wish to receive live traffic updates and navigation that accounts for slowdowns and permits re-routing.

Volvo's GPS is adequate. Not great (because lacking destination on right or left for a lot of places is ANNOYING). And only giving speedlimits to platinum models is another irksome quirk. I load up google maps on my phone in tandem if taking a long drive.
It was clarified in later posts that she likely doesn't have the navigation system that the early Sensus Connect Volvos do. Apparently at some point after 2015.5, Volvo put the "NAV" button on every vehicle even if it didn't have true "Navigation." It gave those vehicles "internet maps" that doesn't include turn by turn directions. The actual navigation system could be added as a software upgrade and it is expensive. Considering how much better our phones are now, it isn't worth adding. But if I were used to using my car's navigation and my spouse replaced it with a new car that didn't have navigation, I'd be upset like the OP is too. She should just get a good phone mount and start using her phone.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.