SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

New to Me 2015.5 XC70 T6 Platinum w/ a Unique Backstory

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  fleuger99 
#1 ·
Greetings to all: After months of searching for an XC70 before and during the pandemic (preferably post-2014 but I was open to anything), I was lucky enough to find a very nice example just north of Albany, NY. I had quite a few cars sold just before I called or just before I was set to go see them, and 1 dealership only let me sit in the car because of the seatbelt recall. So, things weren't going well until late August when I found the following at the start of another marathon internet searching session:
  • 2015.5 T6 Platinum (51K sticker) with 28,500 miles
  • All options except booster seats and parking sensors
  • All service and maintenance records, 4 Blizzaks, and car cover included
  • Meticulously maintained (more on this below)
  • 1 owner with no accidents
Now, I was seriously considering driving out to Ohio from NJ to grab a 2016 T5 FWD with a few options for about $22K with 30K miles, but it did have a minor accident on the Carfax. When I saw this car listed for $25K, I jumped on it, and luckily I was the first in line. Long story short, I drove up the Thruway in my daughter's 2004 V70, took a test drive, offered 24K, and we had a deal! There was no need for a mechanic to check anything, it was that good. I know, I know, it's always best to have another set of eyes on a car before a purchase, but I think I've bought enough cars over the last 2 decades to know a good one when I see it (the subsequent 30K service and checkup a month or so later revealed all was good).

Here's where it gets interesting. The prior owner was wealthy, an heiress to a fortune worth hundreds of millions, and this car was parked at her country home in Clifton Park, NY for occasional use. I never met the owner, but instead dealt with her broker who had power-of-attorney. This car was treated to a concierge service ($125 a month), which meant it was detailed once per month! And, all fluids and tire pressures were checked, and when any service or maintenance or tire swaps had to be done, the owner was simply told when and where to go, as the appointments were made for her (if she herself even went; she probably just put gas in it and drove). I swear, short of a tiny cut on the rear bumper near the tailgate, the car was immaculate. In fact, the prior owner had a new windshield installed (at a Volvo dealer, of course) over a couple chips, and the front clip was addressed by a body shop to fix parking lot scrapes. Now, I make a good living as a school administrator, but I never knew this was even a thing. I guess some people will do anything to not set foot in a dealership!

So, considering what a one-owner, no-accident, loaded XC70 with low mileage still goes for at a Volvo dealership, I think I did pretty well at 24K for this machine (which really hauls ass, BTW).....what do you think? First 2 pics are from the day I picked it up!

Vehicle Car House Property Home
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Volvo cars Motor vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Volvo cars Volvo xc70

See less See more
#2 ·
That seems really well bought. Congrats!

#4 ·
Thanks...I guess Orca for the white and black combo? Ha, learned something new. I actually wouldn't have minded the brown or champagne color, but I couldn't be too picky, and it's the pearl white, so I was pleased. Right now I'm just going to drive it until I do more research. I know about the IPD rear sway bar, and I'd like to get a hitch (for bikes only).

I did read a month or so ago that a hitch could be problematic on these cars...did that have to do with towing/transmission issues? I can't imagine a hitch with 3 bikes on it would be a big deal, right?

#5 ·
I think the hitch may just not be very stout, but you should be okay with the bikes, or a trailer with lawn equipment or lightweight watercraft.

A strut brace is also a cheap/easy upgrade to stiffen the handling a bit. The Ultra Racing one is a bit more expensive, and I believe needs to be removed to access the battery, while the Volvo S/V60 R-Design one requires a bit of modification to the plastic grate (several threads here including mine address this).

#6 ·
Sounds like you found a nice one, congrats!

I'd recommend getting a Curt hitch from E trailer - pretty easy to install yourself and is certainly up to the task of carrying a bike rack and three bikes.

#7 ·
Congratulations on finding a fantastic XC. We spent 3 years looking for our '16 T5 AWD which we purchased last year with <28k miles on the odo. Not as pampered as yours but a solid local car none the less.
As to the trailer hitch, I wouldn't worry. We have a class 2 Curt hitch on ours and carry 2 heavy bikes with a couple of kayaks on top without issues. We've also been known to haul some pretty heavy loads in our 730 lb. utility trailer.
Enjoy your new ride!

#8 ·
Well done. I had to buy all the way across the North American continent, and drive it back home....no complaints about doing that....it's getting the "Cross Country" decal for Xmas. These late model XC70s are in big demand, especially low mileage (mine had 27,000). You only had to drive up to Schenectady?...that's great!

#13 ·
Congratulations! 28.5k miles and meticulous maintenance, what a great find. That car was probably over $50K new, so what a bargain! I had a similar experience last month, found a 2014 XC70 with only 37K miles, previously owned by a 70 year old lady, always kept in a garage and meticulously maintained. Yes, everyone agrees the IPD rear sway bar is well worth the money, it stabilizes the car so you have much less body roll. Also get the IPD end links, all four for about $78, they are thicker and stronger than the OEM ones and create a better connection to the sway bars. It's pretty easy to install all this stuff if you don't mind getting a little dirty. If you're only going to do one mod this should be it.

Another great mod is the Polestar Optimization, probably about $900 at most dealers but well worth the money in my opinion. 325 hp and 350 ft/lb torque, very nice! Check the VIN with a Volvo dealer, maybe it already has the Polestar Optimization. One last thing to consider is the Go Fast Bits DV+ diverter valve, about $130 and also worth the money. Not super easy to install but it manages the turbo better than the OEM component.

#15 ·
Congrats on your purchase. I had that exact setup/color and made the foolish decision to sell after 4 years and 55K miles on it. I've been looking for a replacement for over a year with low miles and accident free and I'm about to give up and pull the trigger on a new 2020 E450 wagon as I really need a car now as my current lease ends on Jan 8th next year.

#16 ·
Sorry to hear that....but if it wasn't for 1st owners who sell early, I wouldn't have been so lucky! Hey, you can't go wrong with an E-Class wagon. Have you considered something like Swap-a-Lease for a short term while you keep searching for another XC70? Good luck on your search.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.