SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 1998 V70R with 145k miles on it. I always wanted one of these and finally pulled the trigger. Only flaws I have picked up so far are a non-functioning fuel gauge and a humming sound at highway speed, that could be the crappy tires the P.O. put on it or something else.

I plan on changing the oil and filter asap. Timing belt service was done at the dealer at 122k miles, so I don't need to worry about that. What else should I plan on next?

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Check your tread depth on all the tires, make sure they're even. Also, do the dipstick test for your PCV.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Could be tires
Could be a wheel bearing
Could be a bad bearing in the rear diif or the bevel gear

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
first off, Pics or your bought a camry.

second off, post what service records you have and we can tell you what should/needs to be done.

congrats!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turbocharger oil line seals at 111,000 miles. Timing belt service done at Volvo dealer at 122,000 miles. Brakes done at dealer at 127,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Turbocharger oil line seals at 111,000 miles.

Timing belt service done at Volvo dealer at 122,000 miles.

Brakes done at dealer at 127,000 miles.
oil line seals, good.

timing belt, lil late but good

Brakes, obviously good :p so 20,000 miles on them.

What i'd suggest.

1. Check the PCV system. Pull out the dipstick with the car running, does air/puffs of smoke come out the dipstick tube? You can use a balloon over it to check for sure. If you're getting pressure out of it you likely need a full PCV job. You for SURE need one if it's never been done. This is VITAL to not blowing every seal in the bottom of your engine.

2. 20,000 on the brakes...i'd check your pads

3. Get good tires on and balanced, see if that fixes the vibrations/hum.

sounds like it's been relatively well taken care of.

oh, and use photobucket for pictures.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I got under the car and could see the right front outer cv boot is shot. Also the tires, which look to be brand new are a brand that I never heard of--Primewell. They were inflated to 40psi, which seemed high to me, so I brought them down to 35 psi. Found out the car has an aftermarket remote starter that actually works. The dealer didn't know what it was, pretty funny. The in dash CD changer works, but not with burned CDs. Will sort through other stuff first before I put in a different head unit. Will check the PCV tomorrow.

Third try on the picture:

http://1998volvov70r.shutterfly.com/pictures/9

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Thanks. I got under the car and could see the right front outer cv boot is shot. Also the tires, which look to be brand new are a brand that I never heard of--Primewell. They were inflated to 40psi, which seemed high to me, so I brought them down to 35 psi. Found out the car has an aftermarket remote starter that actually works. The dealer didn't know what it was, pretty funny. The in dash CD changer works, but not with burned CDs. Will sort through other stuff first before I put in a different head unit. Will check the PCV tomorrow.

Third try on the picture:

http://1998volvov70r.shutterfly.com/pictures/9
Uhhhh, the fact that you have new cheap tires is a red flag. Watch your treadwear closely, and don't be surprised to find you need inner/outer tie rods or a LCA or something.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Uhhhh, the fact that you have new cheap tires is a red flag. Watch your treadwear closely, and don't be surprised to find you need inner/outer tie rods or a LCA or something.
I am going to take it to a respected alignment shop asap and have them go through tie rods, etc. Is there a consensus here on the best tires to buy for the V70R?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a few posts on both the AWD system and troubleshooting (for your hum on the highway) and for the fuel guage and troubleshooting/fix. Should be recent if you can search.

There are telltale signs and specific noises for each part of the AWD which chances are if your issue. Wheel bearings don't fail all that often nor that often at your mileage. If it's a hum, there could be the wheel bearing, or the bearing on the VC or an input/output shaft bearing on the diff (not likely) or the center bearing on the propshaft, which would be the most likely.

To fix the fuel gage, you need to check the wiring to each side of the pump and sending units located at the front of the tank, under the removable plastic panels. Since your car drives, I'm willing to bet the pup side is fine (passenger) and that the wiring on the driver side is shot. Mine was separated right where it entered the unit.

You will need to lower the tank to get the unit out, but you don't need to drop the whole tank nor cut through the floorboards to get access. You simply need to drop the strap, and the front link on the rear control arm to lower the tank enough and use a 2x4 for a bit of leverage. Separate the fuel lines off the unit using a trim tool (get the tool under the black plastic connector on the hard line at the 90 degree elbow and while prying up with the tool, push down on the elbow and it should release. I recommend cutting and splicing in new wiring since the harness is a pain to track back. Use a new rummer seal when putting everything abck together and you're good.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
New front bearings fixed the noise problem. At first they said it was just the left bearing but it turned out that both sides were bad. Thinking I will just use the odometer and fill up with gas every 200 miles. Don't want to drop the tank, even part way. Thx!

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I am going to take it to a respected alignment shop asap and have them go through tie rods, etc. Is there a consensus here on the best tires to buy for the V70R?
No clue. FWIW, I rock Goodyear Eagle GT's and love them - cheap(ish) but great grip. Keep in mind, I'm FWD.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
No clue. FWIW, I rock Goodyear Eagle GT's and love them - cheap(ish) but great grip. Keep in mind, I'm FWD.
+1
I previously ran BF Goodrich g-Force Super Sport a/s (W-rated), and went thru 3 sets (I put on a lot of miles :facepalm:). I always liked them. But I was offered a screamin' deal on the Eagle GT's, so I thought, "What the heck, I'll try 'em." And they are GREAT. :thumbup:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Continental Extreme Contact DW or DWS, 1000 times better than Pirelli P6. Check prices for these at Discount Tire or Tire Rack. They are great for everything unless you will be at a track regularly, then there are better but for everyone else, check out Conti.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just developed some sort of strange clanging and banging coming from under the car while driving. Also noticed a sort of chugging in first/second gear. Car is safely parked in the garage until the weekend. I will put it up on stands and try to figure out what is the problem Also, the car revved without moving while in reverse. I was able to drive it home and checked all the gears (including reverse) and they worked ok. I am thinking must be AWD drive issue, so I am prepared to remove the driveshaft and remake the car into a super T5 at least temporarily.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I went ahead and removed the rear drive shaft today and I think I made things worse instead of better. The motor revs but the car doesn't move. The car now rolls freely, even when I park. I think the new front axles that were installed by my mechanic must be bad. Any suggestions would be appreciated. My guess is the only reason the drove at all was that the power was going entirely to the rear wheels.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts