SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s been a while since I had a Volvo. Last one was a 1990 740 turbo wagon when the kids were young. I grew up in a late 50’s 544 then we hade an early 60’s 122 Amazon wagon. Now that the kids are older I picked up a C 70 cheap on craigslist for them to drive. I’m back in the Volvo fold I love this thing.
It had been well maintained with brand new brakes, tires, rear shocks and some suspension linkage. But I love to tinker. Here’s my own input:
New front struts. Went with Amazon delivered Gabriel ready mounts. May not be the best but cheep, quick and easy. Solved the wandering and thud issues.
New double din Bluetooth head unit. Loved the old one but need to keep the kids off their phones and eyes on the road. Makes the interior look modern as well. Super easy install, no dash kits required just a couple harnesses.
LED headlights. Old halogens sucked. Not super pleased, took some time to get the beams right. Polished the lenses but the reflectors are likely in need of replacement. Will do for now.
Found the leak draining the roof area into the spare tire well. Simple fix, blew the hoses and secured the drain lines. Cleared the plugged drain holes in the lower rear fender wells.Left side was plugged and I’m glad the amp didn’t short.
Changed the plugs as I got a P0301 kind of code.
License plate mounted back up sensor. Super easy install and worth it for the new driver kids.
Fixed the passenger side inoperable seat micro switch issue. One of the harder tasks. Serious repair yoga positions required.
And last but not least a strut tower brace from FCP. Excellent service by the way-thanks. All I can say about this upgrade is WOW. The amount of body flex on the C70 almost put me off the car. I’d put too much effort avoiding road irregularities when driving. Now I charge through them. Fewer creaks, better handling and front struts can now do what they’re supposed to do. All for US$120 and maybe 10 minutes install.
Anyway, glad to be here and thanks for the wealth of information all you members make available. Happy to add any detail on the above tasks if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Awesome! Have any picture of it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Very clean! Thanks for sharing. I bought an 04 cabriolet last month and am still figuring out what I'd like to do with it and this has inspired a few ideas.
I ordered new front struts 2 weeks ago but haven't had the time to install them yet. I'm glad to see that adding the IPD strut tower link improved the dynamics of the car, though!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Too funny Jefferson88. We’re going down the same path. Mine was a total impulse buy. Second cheapest rag top listed on Craigslist and turned out he lived 2 blocks from my house. Got it for C$3,200 with 135,000 kilometers on it. Frankly I was hoping for a little more of a project, it’s super cherry, but I better be careful what I wish for.
Seriously the strut brace is a game changer on how the car handles, probably the best bang for the buck performance upgrade on any car I’ve owned. It’s nicely fabricated, super light aluminum and actually made in Sweden. The front struts are super easy, just mind the abs sensor wire. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1998 V70 T5 with factory m56h; 18t, Green injectors, 50% e85
2,436 Posts
Congrats and thanks for sharing what you’ve been doing. Any more info on that drop in double-din head unit?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Seriously the strut brace is a game changer on how the car handles, probably the best bang for the buck performance upgrade on any car I’ve owned. It’s nicely fabricated, super light aluminum and actually made in Sweden.
Same experience here putting one in my 2000 XC. Lovely car and nice acquisition it looks like. BTW ScottishBrick said the braces were made by Ohlins (they are Swedish).

Since you mentioned "wandering" above, I suggest you pop these in IF they fit your car (I think they do - they fit P80 and P2 but I'm not sure of all the C70 differences). MAJOR bang for the buck. Totally transformed my previous 2004 which had it bad, less dramatic but still very worth it in the two other cars I've put them in (S60, also). Should help a lot on the C70. I imagine solid ones would be even better,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Oro-O. Doesn’t look intuitive but I’ll look into it. Whashdup I’m out of town but will take some pics when I get back. Pretty street forward swap but I’ll post the Mantra wiring harnesses when I can. Most important it looks factory and not out of place. I made sure I had my radio code before I went down this road though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts