SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. First, I tried the search! Yes, it's true. But I couldn't really find what I was looking for.

I'm considering getting a 2000-up V70, specifically a turbo 5-speed. Can someone kindly explain to me the differences in the various permutations of this car? I'm drawn to the 'MKII' V70, but I understand some wagons can't be had with a manual trans. Also, which cars/years came with which engines? Finally, which cars are available with AWD, and is there such a thing as a turbo, manual-shift, AWD wagon?

Thanks for humoring me, I've never owned a Volvo. I come here from the VW camp.

· Registered
1,306 Posts
Re: New to forum: need help with model, year, and engine differences (Varmint)

Quote, originally posted by Varmint »
Hello all. First, I tried the search! Yes, it's true. But I couldn't really find what I was looking for.

I'm considering getting a 2000-up V70, specifically a turbo 5-speed. Can someone kindly explain to me the differences in the various permutations of this car? I'm drawn to the 'MKII' V70, but I understand some wagons can't be had with a manual trans. Also, which cars/years came with which engines? Finally, which cars are available with AWD, and is there such a thing as a turbo, manual-shift, AWD wagon?

Thanks for humoring me, I've never owned a Volvo. I come here from the VW camp.

I'm sure the dealers will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it works like this:

MY2000 was the last of the V70s based on the 850 platform. MY2001+ is the newer "P2" platform shared with the S80/S60/XC90.

In P2, the following engine/transmission flavors were available (all are FWD unless otherwise noted):

2.4NA (non-turbo), Auto (and MT?)
2.4T Auto - discontinued ~MY2004?
2.5T Auto
2.5T AWD Auto - discontinued in the US after MY2004
T5 Auto and MT - Engine change from 2.3L to 2.4L (listed as 2.5L in literature, but actually a tad smaller than the 2.5T R engine) in MY2005
R AWD Auto and MT starting in MY2004 -- the only AWD V70 w/manual transmission (in the US, at least)
V70XC/XC70 AWD available throughout, with a change from the 2.4T to 2.5T engine somewhere along the way. Always only available in Automatic transmission.

· Registered
63,013 Posts
Re: (Varmint)

Model Year.

So if I'm reading this right, there is no turbo, manual shift, AWD wagon?
That is correct.
The only manual trans wagons are (naturally) 04 and newer Rs.
As for the older cars, the only manual you could get in a 2000 was a base non turbo.
As you go older (99-98) there were a few more T5s manufactured in a 5 speed but still quite rare.
No XC's with manuals, ever, for the US

· Registered
63,013 Posts
Re: (MineMapper)

I said that

· Registered
1,306 Posts
Re: (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
I said that

So did I. Note my signature. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (NikosXC70)

I think it is becoming clear. So a 2001-up 'P2' V70 can be had with a turbo and manual tranny, but if I also want AWD I'd be looking at a 2004-up V70R (too expensive for me right now).

Another question, is the T5 just an appearance package now? I remember the T5's from the 850 days, which were supposed to be pretty hot cars.

Edit => Wait, VTT5 may have already answered my question....maybe the manual tranny is only found on the T5 cars? Thanks for being patient with all these questions.

· Registered
46 Posts

The T5 has more HP due to the high pressure turbo 243 I think but you can't get this engine combo with AWD. If you want AWD, you are looking at the V70 2.5T AWD, XC70 2.5T AWD (both have a low pressure turbo, 208hp) or the R AWD which comes with a 300hp engine (note sure about the HP numbers, too lazy to look)!

Later,

· Registered
1,306 Posts

I think it is becoming clear. So a 2001-up 'P2' V70 can be had with a turbo and manual tranny, but if I also want AWD I'd be looking at a 2004-up V70R (too expensive for me right now).

Correct.

Another question, is the T5 just an appearance package now? I remember the T5's from the 850 days, which were supposed to be pretty hot cars.

Edit => Wait, VTT5 may have already answered my question....maybe the manual tranny is only found on the T5 cars? Thanks for being patient with all these questions.

The main delta in the T5 is the HPT engine. 247HP until MY2004. 260HP from MY2005 on. Other changes are included (aluminum mesh-look inlays in lieu of the fake wood, sport seats, slightly bigger front rotors, slightly different suspension setup, standard fog lights, can't remember anything else offhand).

Put simply, a manual transmission is available on the NA 2.4, T5, and R variants. Of these, only the R is AWD.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.