SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Just purchased my very first Volvo, a 2006 V70 2.5T in Willow Green with 91K miles for $10,300
pristine light taupe Leather, etc, pretty loaded but no navigation which is fine with me. Only thing I see as a negative is a small scuff in the left front bumper. Carfax shows one owner who did all recommended maintenance (also got the maintenance records, a rarity now days). Did I pay a good price? I think I did but not sure as this is the most I ever paid for a car with that many miles.

I got a question about Parking Assist, it works fine in the back when I back up but nothing in the front when I pull up to something. I don't see any front sensors so is it possible it only has rear sensor? was rear only an option?

Is there any time I should turn off STC?

It has Geartronic, so fooled around with Manual shifting but I don't see the point. Do any of you use it and under what circumstances?

Thanks in advance,

Smegtrek

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
If you have to ask and manual shifting, don't bothe, leave it alone. :facepalm:
As for the STC, normally just leave it on. If you're stuck in snow, that would be the time to turn it off to get some wheel spin to get you unstuck!
Rear park sensors only
You may have paid a hair too much, it depends on what's been replaced. At these miles things start to break.
Suspension components, Breather box may be starting to clog up and a new timing belt is due in 10-14K miles ( or earlier)
NOW would be a great time to switch to full synthetic oil.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good news is the Timing belt was done not too long ago. It's one of the reasons I didn't shy away from buying it although I will have to look into the other things you mentioned.

My last car was a stick so I know how to drive a standard, my question was more how much do you use the manual shift and when? Are you using it for quicker starts, winter driving etc.. ? I Don't think that's an odd question to ask. ;)

Thanks again for the info

Smegtrek

·
Registered
331 Posts
So far I have owned 3 cars that had automatic transmissions with manual shift capability: '06 BMW 325i, '99 Porsche Carrera 4 and now an '02 V70 XC. Usually for the first couple of weeks I would shift manually, but eventually revert to letting the car shift itself. It's nice to have and useful in some situations, but for the bulk of my driving it works just as well to put it in "D" and let it go.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
When would you drive the GT in manual mode? I would say in spirited driving uphill in the Blue Ridge mountains.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
I Don't think that's an odd question to ask. ;)
Well, it's sort of odd especially if you know how to drive a manual!

I use my geartronic mostly when going up hills or driving at about 42-44 MPH. At that speed it wants to shift to 5th (overdrive) and if needed there is no power for accelleration unless you hit the gas medium hard to engage kickdown.
Personally I like to always be in the proper gear at all times.

The automatic ALWAYS seems to have it in too high a gear and the engine feels like it's lugging.
Much easier to drop down a gear and keep the throttle the same

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I use my geartronic when approaching lights to slow down the car and also driving in the suburbs when I need to have control of the gears.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Congratulation ... any pic of the beauty ? :)

Leave STC alone only when you need more traction on the snow like JRL said.

Geartronic/ shiftable Auto, I rarely use it as I am driving an 01 V70 so i pamper my trans and leave it alone. I did use it when driving in the snow covered with W so I had more control of the gear.

Enjoy your V70 !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the info!

Bringing the V70 in to a Volvo dealer tomorrow to get two extra keys made = $$ but all keys are $$ these days. :( it only came with one. Dealer said he could "turn off" any missing key that used to belong to the car, having that done too.

Love driving it so far but having only one key makes me nervous :eek:

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Looks good.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Nice looking V-70, has the tranny been serviced at all? Use the search area at the top of the screen. It is real important to flush these trannies...sounds like a great car and best of luck JHW

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Congratulations on your good taste in cars, wow, you are going to have some fun with this one.

The 2.5 is a marvelous engine with good torque down on the low end of the rpm band. These cars are pocket rockets that are very capable on the road. The select shift feature is used mostly when you are in a situation like a long hill climb and you don't want the transmission to be trying to hunt for the right gear, just put it in 3rd or 4th while in light throttle to be nice on the transmission and leave it there until you reach the top, etc.

I think this model is the single most nicest station wagon design of all time. It is very clean, just LOOK at how they inset the rear windows, almost perfectly smooth. If you don't have the rear privacy curtain over the rear luggage area, get one, you will love it.

Regards,

P

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Dammit that's the car in Hagerstown I wanted to buy but they wouldn't give me enough for my 4Runner. What a beauty, good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dammit that's the car in Hagerstown I wanted to buy but they wouldn't give me enough for my 4Runner. What a beauty, good luck!
Indeed it is. Love the car.

Got two valet keys made in Rockville for $264 total as it only came with one switchblade key. Scheduled for maintenance after the holidays.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts