264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have information on these new TNNs:

Electronic Throttle System Software - Upgrade
Item: TNN25-149F-2006-03-16

Electronic Throttle System Software Upgrade
Item: SMB25-155-2006-03-20 Page Count: 3
ETM software upgrade - Service Campaign 155

Just curious because I've experienced how the throttle is a little off sometimes and remember reading a few threads about the topic.

Thanks,

Denny

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: New TNN for throttle software? (wrxownr)

This is in conjunction with the ETM repair or replace per Volvo NA extended warranty.
I'm not aware of any warranty extension in England but this new software is supposed to give longevity to the ETM. (slows down the potentiometer movement).
It was explained to me last week and I will try to get a better understanding next week when I stop by the dealer and talk to my service manager who understands this quite well

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
Covers all Volvo's '99-'01 and some '02's from what I understand. The '98 and older didn't have an ETM and ony a few '02's were affected (C70, S60 & V70's).

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
Re: (MadeInJapan)

Ah, thanks. WRXOwner has a 06 R in his thread so I'd thought I'd ask about that.

Looks like I'll probably end up getting the update when my car goes in.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (Volvo Grrrr)

Quote, originally posted by Volvo Grrrr »
Ah, thanks. WRXOwner has a 06 R in his thread so I'd thought I'd ask about that.

Looks like I'll probably end up getting the update when my car goes in.
This MAY slow the cars down a bit, no one knows yet

Naturally if you have a flashed ECU it will get wiped out and NO ONE has new software for it yet

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
Re: (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
This MAY slow the cars down a bit, no one knows yet

Naturally if you have a flashed ECU it will get wiped out and NO ONE has new software for it yet

Hrm..that's not good. Was wondering if slowing it down will cause any negative effects. I'm not flashed yet. Still stock ECU. I'll let the service advisor know not to put any ECU flash upgrades when I go in next. Hopefully he'll listen

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

Hrm..that's not good. Was wondering if slowing it down will cause any negative effects. I'm not flashed yet. Still stock ECU. I'll let the service advisor know not to put any ECU flash upgrades when I go in next. Hopefully he'll listen
I would do it, save your ETM.
I think on an unflashed car IF there is any slow down it won't be noticeable

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
I would do it, save your ETM.
I think on an unflashed car IF there is any slow down it won't be noticeable

But if my ETM fails, wouldn't Volvo replace it anyways? Or are you just looking it at the long term? I will be doing the RICA upgrade with the R at some point (probably next year).

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

But if my ETM fails, wouldn't Volvo replace it anyways? Or are you just looking it at the long term?
Both. The lastest deal is that Volvo is first throughly cleaning the throttle bodies and installing this new software.
I was told that this fixes 80% of them

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (bgfpt)

For the gazillioneth time, for the applicable cars, 10 years 200,000 miles

·
Registered
10 Posts

Sorry, JRL. I saw the post about '99-01's, but it wasn't clear if there were any mileage limitations. I've never taken this car to a dealer. Was wondering if it was a fix similar to a 'free' recall or would there be $ involved.

·
Registered
860 Posts

I had recall 155 done on the 99 last week. I had the car in for something completely unrelated and was suprised (and pissed) when they said they had performed this 'throttle re-programming' without my permission. I spoke to the service manager and he said this software change only affected the 'limp home' mode of the car if the ETM fails and had no impact on an IPD re-flashed ECU. I've seen no difference in the performance of the car so this must be true.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: New TNN for throttle software? (wrxownr)

This is for the EARLIER cars (99-01, and a few 02's)

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (bgfpt)

Quote, originally posted by bgfpt »
Sorry, JRL. I saw the post about '99-01's, but it wasn't clear if there were any mileage limitations. I've never taken this car to a dealer. Was wondering if it was a fix similar to a 'free' recall or would there be $ involved.
Perhaps you should, There are FREE recalls for EVERY YEAR Volvo

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote, originally posted by bgfpt »

Perhaps you should, There are FREE recalls for EVERY YEAR Volvo

Have only had the car for 2 months and have done a few minor maintenance things myself. I like the fact that this is a user friendly vehicle. The Carfax report stated it had no outstanding recalls to be done. It was purchased from a guy who races BMW 325i's, teaches performance driving and did most maintenance himself. I have all records and had no indications that this was a 'needed' repair.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.