SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all.

It's been a good long while, but the original Mich PS A/S tires on my '06 60R are finally done - by age (over 7 years on the codes), not mileage (only 18k on the car and the tires). Great tires, but all good things must come to an end.

What's the current A/S tire d'amour for 18" pegs?

Eighteens in a 40 series leaves out some of the usual suspects.

Partial to Michelins, so looking at the current PS A/S Plus. But it's an old design. Despite having some clunker Bridgestones over the years, I have heard some good things about the newer RE970AS.

No tracking on this one . . . it's a heated garage queen with only occasional long touring runs and sprints about town. It still looks and feels (other than the hardened tires) like it belongs in the showroom.

TIA.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
I've ran the Nankang NS-II's....Sucked
I've ran the Kumho Ecsta ASX....Too soft, therefore....sucked
I've ran the Hankook Ventus V4's....Very nice tires...very confident in the winter with these.
I've ran the PS A/S on an s80, XC70, and C300....Very nice tire, run on slightly lower pressure, very comfy but lack in the sport category.

I'm currently running Hankook Ventus V12's and I LOVE THEM in dry and wet conditions. I will be running them this winter pending the results from the first storm....I have heard GREAT things about these in the winter too especially with them being a Summer HP Tire.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I'm currently running Toyo Versado LXs and really like them. I ran the DWSs prior and they lasted 40,000 miles but got a bit noisy...they were great in snow. The Toyos went through their first winter this past year but there wasn't much snow to speak of.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I'm currently running Hankook Ventus V12's and I LOVE THEM in dry and wet conditions. I will be running them this winter pending the results from the first storm....I have heard GREAT things about these in the winter too especially with them being a Summer HP Tire.
So you're saying that these are a summer tire that might be ok in colder temps??? The reason I ask is that I have a set of winters and all seasons because our summer temps just don't last that long at 6000' I'd love to have a better performing summer tire that could do ok on colder tarmac during the shoulder seasons

·
Registered
998 Posts
Drop money on the Pilot Super Sports and you're good to go.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Mine came with Bridgestones and they were so loud, the dealer mechanics thought something might be wrong with the car. Put on the Continental Contact DWS's and they have been great in all conditions. The wagon grips like a scalded cat in the snow.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Drop money on the Pilot Super Sports and you're good to go.
. . . until late November around here.

No, I require an all-season compound as we get winter temps. I had a summer/winter tire/wheel setup in the past, and will give up the advantage for the convenience.

Right now, I am leaning towards the Bridgestone, despite the known quantity of the Michelin. The 970 is supposed to remedy some of the 960s few shortcomings, with the possible exception of snow/ice performance. Like the XL, the extra 32nd, and the heavier weight (which hopefully is invested in the sidewall build).

The tires on this car wear out from time, not mileage. So treadwear is not as critical. None of these are 30k tires.

I'd be more open to the Pirelli if they weren't made in China (some are, some aren't).

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine came with Bridgestones and they were so loud, the dealer mechanics thought something might be wrong with the car. Put on the Continental Contact DWS's and they have been great in all conditions. The wagon grips like a scalded cat in the snow.
While I like Contis, and had them on my last R, they don't come in the 18s. Don't want to play with +1 fitments. Also don't want to play with softer sidewalls on a 40.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Hey, long time
Try CONTI DWS's (look up the reviews on tirerack.com).
Reasonably priced, still rated 1st or 2nd (depending on what you read) for a high performance all season tire and you don't drive very hard so you should love them.
Nice quiet ride
Decent to very good dry performance, but killer wet (and light snow) performance and they have a decent life span (Conti says they're a 50K tread life but I have not reached that yet.
I run them on all my Volvos now

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
. . . until late November around here.

No, I require an all-season compound as we get winter temps. I had a summer/winter tire/wheel setup in the past, and will give up the advantage for the convenience.

Right now, I am leaning towards the Bridgestone, despite the known quantity of the Michelin. The 970 is supposed to remedy some of the 960s few shortcomings, with the possible exception of snow/ice performance. Like the XL, the extra 32nd, and the heavier weight (which hopefully is invested in the sidewall build).

The tires on this car wear out from time, not mileage. So treadwear is not as critical. None of these are 30k tires.

I'd be more open to the Pirelli if they weren't made in China (some are, some aren't).
That's silly. China designs and makes both some of the highest quality stuff in the world and some of the crappiest.

IBM hardware is the perfect example. The IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad is the unchallenged benchmark for quality laptops. For over 10 years its enjoyed it's rank as the highest quality laptop available. Designed and built exclusively for IBM until 2005 by the Chinese company Lenovo. In 2005 Lenovo bought the entire IBM Desktop and Laptop line. And they still hold their ranking.

I like Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus for all-season. I've had them on all my Volvos.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey, long time
Try CONTI DWS's (look up the reviews on tirerack.com).
Reasonably priced, still rated 1st or 2nd (depending on what you read) for a high performance all season tire and you don't drive very hard so you should love them.
Nice quiet ride
Decent to very good dry performance, but killer wet (and light snow) performance and they have a decent life span (Conti says they're a 50K tread life but I have not reached that yet.
I run them on all my Volvos now
Hi Jim,

Yeah, I looked real hard for the DWS at OEM fit, but it only comes in a +1 on the 18s. If I were running 17s, I'd be all over it. As you know, I was touting the old original extremecontacts years before the buzz. Very good all around tire line, especially on our "well-maintained" roads.

I'm real sensitive to the sidewall build on these 18s for some reason. The Michelins you found still look new, at least on the outside. Ride like Barney Rubble's tires now.

The car will be at Berwyn on the 30th if you happen to be around. I guess the tire answer will be there too. Trust you've been well.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
That's silly. China designs and makes both some of the highest quality stuff in the world and some of the crappiest.

IBM hardware is the perfect example. The IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad is the unchallenged benchmark for quality laptops. For over 10 years its enjoyed it's rank as the highest quality laptop available. Designed and built exclusively for IBM until 2005 by the Chinese company Lenovo. In 2005 Lenovo bought the entire IBM Desktop and Laptop line. And they still hold their ranking.

I like Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus for all-season. I've had them on all my Volvos.
Not silly with tires after the recall scandal a few years back. While I've had Thinkpads for many years, I will exercise my consumer right to prefer tires from elsewhere.
FWIW, most of the design on the good stuff from China (including all the Thinkpads) comes from elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Not silly with tires after the recall scandal a few years back. While I've had Thinkpads for many years, I will exercise my consumer right to prefer tires from elsewhere.
FWIW, most of the design on the good stuff from China (including all the Thinkpads) comes from elsewhere.
:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts