SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to replace my Michelin Pilot Sports with the new Pilot 4S tires, which are by all accounts greater than the PSS. I have the 235/40-18 now and are considering going with the 235/45-18 for more protection from road hazards. Only difference is 95Y vs 98Y. I know I will have to have the speedometer recalibrated.

Recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Make sure you have enough clearance between the tire and the bottom of the spring perch to support that increased height - I temporarily had to put on tires that were 1 size greater in the sidewall and it barely (and I mean barely) cleared. I would not have felt safe driving slowly for more than a few miles with the limited clearance.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I have to replace my Michelin Pilot Sports with the new Pilot 4S tires, which are by all accounts greater than the PSS. I have the 235/40-18 now and are considering going with the 235/45-18 for more protection from road hazards. Only difference is 95Y vs 98Y. I know I will have to have the speedometer recalibrated.

Recommendations?

Yes - standard I’m my ‘16 V60RD and works great (about the same overall circumference as the +1: 235/40-19s)

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Try using https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Enter both sizes and see what the difference is. If it's less than 3-4% you may not have to have the recalibration done.

Just did it myself. It's 3.5% larger diameter. So, at 60mph you are doing 62.1mph. Check with your local Volvo to see if this has an impact on your warranty.

·
Registered
721 Posts
You might also consider going to 245/40 tires instead of the 235/40. That will give you a bit more sidewall height (since sidewall height is a ratio of width, going to a wider tire with the same aspect ratio makes the sidewall taller) and will give you a bit more sidewall cushion to protect from curbs. I recall several members going to 245/40 R18 tires with no issues.

Whether that makes more sense than 235/45 is kind of a personal decision but I wanted to point it out as an option.

·
Registered
687 Posts
You might also consider going to 245/40 tires instead of the 235/40. That will give you a bit more sidewall height (since sidewall height is a ratio of width, going to a wider tire with the same aspect ratio makes the sidewall taller) and will give you a bit more sidewall cushion to protect from curbs. I recall several members going to 245/40 R18 tires with no issues.

Whether that makes more sense than 235/45 is kind of a personal decision but I wanted to point it out as an option.
That’s what I did with mine!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would recommend going with 245/40/18 over the 235/45/18. I tried 235/45/18 on my s60 a couple of years ago and I didn't like it at all. The added sidewall made off the line acceleration feel noticeably more sluggish, and while I think the stock size 235/40/18 look a little too small on the car....the bump up to 235/45/18 made the tires look too big IMO.

That being said I do think some of the later s60/v60 cars did come with 235/45/18 from the dealer. Either way, my next set of tires will be 245/40/18, I think that small amount of added sidewall will be the sweet-spot. The only reason I didn't get that size a few years ago was because I ran all-season tires and I didn't want the wider tire in the winter. Now that I have my Dunlop WinterMaxx for the snow, I can go wider tire for the summer.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ended up getting the 4S in the original size, 235/40-18. Pics to follow as soon as I clean up the wheels and tires. I think they look better than the Super Sports.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I ended up getting the 4S in the original size, 235/40-18. Pics to follow as soon as I clean up the wheels and tires. I think they look better than the Super Sports.
Congrats! How do you like them? I’ve heard they aren’t quite as sharp as the PSS and therefore feel a little less sporty but are outstanding performance street tires with a little more cushiness to them. Perhaps the slightly different character of these tires gave you the improvements you were looking for without having to go to the rather bulbous 235/45/18 sidewall size with its unfavorable effective gear ratio change.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Love 'em. Yesterday drove about two hours on highways and back roads from the Pittsburgh area into Ohio and back again (no rain). After 20,241 miles all of my PSS tires were at 4/32" tread depth, the PA inspection limit, and I needed an inspection in August (that total was 2000 miles less than the previous set). They had gotten noisy, too, and I don't change over to my winter tires until November, and we see plenty of rain in the fall and early winter.

The 4S are incredibly quiet and smooth-riding; better than anything I remember from the previous two sets of PSS tires, even when they were new. Far less noise on road tar strips. They do feel a bit cushier, but it's hard to tell from memory alone. Turn-in is very fast and they track like they're on rails; I would not say they're less sharp than the PSS, unless that means they transition more smoothly instead of abruptly, but they still transition incredibly rapidly and under total control. They look more square on the edges than the PSS and there's more space between the rim edge and the rubber than on the PSS. I wasn't pushing them, but on sweeping highway exit and entrance ramps at high speed the grip was great.

I thought the 45 series looked less sporty and more mundane, and worried that the wider 245/40-18 might make the turning circle even worse or result in rubbing on full turning lock. I know no one reported either problem, but the actual profile of every tire is different even in the same nominal size. And the 235/40-18 are lighter. The 4S seems to fill out the rim better than the rounder-edge on the PSS. Plus I have at least another winter season on my 235/40-18 Pilot Alpins.

By the way, the reviews say the 4S is far better in colder temperatures (40-50 degrees) than was the PSS, which is a plus for the fall. At 45 degrees, the PSS started to feel like hockey pucks.

(The installer, Rahal Volvo, did a great job. The balancing was done on a new Hunter Road Force laser balancer. They basically price-matched Tire Rack, used enough of the soapy/rubbery mounting goop to avoid damage to the touched-up rims (thankfully!), and the pressure was spot-on at 38 psi.)

Volvo S60 R-Design, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Tires.jpg

Volvo S60 R-Design, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Tires (2).jpg

Volvo S60 R-Design, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Tires (1).jpg

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Great writeup, thank you for the detailed review and pics! They sound perfect as a very high performance street-friendly tire. They do look surprisingly chunky for the stock tire size. I’m guessing the listed treadwidth and section width are on the wide side for a 235/40/18. They certainly seem to offer more lip protection than my AS3+ in the same size. And the AS3+ already fits chunkier than the Conti DWS06 they replaced in the same size. It’s remarkable how much variability there is in actual tire sizing even within the “same” size. This is why I always caution people not to take at face value when people assure them an alternative tire size will fit their car without knowing the measurements of the model of tire and exact specs on wheel and suspension choices.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Great writeup, thank you for the detailed review and pics! They sound perfect as a very high performance street-friendly tire. They do look surprisingly chunky for the stock tire size. I’m guessing the listed treadwidth and section width are on the wide side for a 235/40/18. They certainly seem to offer more lip protection than my AS3+ in the same size. And the AS3+ already fits chunkier than the Conti DWS06 they replaced in the same size. It’s remarkable how much variability there is in actual tire sizing even within the “same” size. This is why I always caution people not to take at face value when people assure them an alternative tire size will fit their car without knowing the measurements of the model of tire and exact specs on wheel and suspension choices.
After seeing the 4S on the wheels/car, I was glad I didn't go with the wider 245/40. As you said, the added width on top of what looks like wider or chunkier actual profile might have been a problem, and I didn't want to be a $1000+ beta tester! The section width is what can cause problems with suspensions and fenders. Tread width is harder to measure with rounded-shoulder tires, according to Tire Rack.

Tire Rack no longer lists the specs for the old Pilot Super Sport 235/40-18, but they still have specs for the 245/40-18:

245/40-18 - Section width: 9.8, Tread width: 8.7, Diameter: 25.7

Here are the specs for the 4S:

235/40-18 - Section width: 9.5, Tread width: 8.1, Diameter: 25.4
245/40-18 - Section width: 9.8, Tread width: 8.4, Diameter: 25.7
235/45-18 - Section width: 9.3, Tread width: 7.6, Diameter: 26.3

1 - 12 of 12 Posts