SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna have to buy new tires pretty soon, as the stock ContiProContacts are getting pretty close to their wear bars (I'm at a little over 31K miles - my 1-year anniversary with this car is coming up on Saturday!). I'm really torn between these two. Stats from Tirerack.com:

Bridgestone:

Michelin:

Recent tests by different mags show the Birdgestone with a slight edge over the Michelin. Any thoughts? What would you prefer and why?

·
Registered
338 Posts
The Michelin Primacy MXM4 were the stock tires on my T5. I have had no issues with them. I am going Saturday for my 30k service call. I will let you know on Monday where I am at in terms of tread wear. That could give you a good point for comparison.

Consumer reports (and the readers comments section) gave high marks to the Micheilin Primacy's in terms of durability. I have found them to be reliable and quiet all season tires. Not the best for screaming thru curves, but rugged. Again, will see how much tread they have left after 30k miles.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
George, I guess the correct answer is "yes"... :D

Seriously though, I would like a quiet tire that has a slightly stiffer sidewall than I have with the ContiProContacts and better wear. I don't require the tire for harsh winter driving, as I have Conti ExtremeWinterContacts for that.

So if I had to prioritize, it would be: Handling/grip first, quietness a VERY close second, and wear third.

I like that the Primacy is LRR and that it is quiet, but I would like the tire to be better in corners and not roll over as much. As the ContiProContacts continue to wear, the wet traction is definitely getting worse.

I have my S60 in at Barrington Volvo today and tomorrow (AWESOME guys there - WORLDS better than Bergstrom Volvo in Appleton, WI) to do the harsh transmission shifting TSB, replace a trim piece in the trunk for holding the antenna, replacing my front seats (yes, they're replacing my beechwood brown front seats under warranty due to the wear on the outside lower side bolsters - thanks Volvo!!) and checking a potential loose trim piece on the lower center console. They gave me a '12 S60 T5 with the Balder wheels/Michelin tires. I do like how quiet they are, but I don't like the thrumming coming from them from pavement expansion joints. There's a bit of a low "ringing" sound after they hit them.

Which brings me back to where I'm at: I'm torn between these two...

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Got it. If these are the only two tires you're considering, I'd go with the Bridgestones personally, as they will provide better handling/grip.
I totally agree. Actually, I am about to replace the current Bridgestones RE970 AS on my T5 and I will be getting the RE970AS Pole Position.

The best tires I have had in its 11+ year/127,000-mile history.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
No love for Continental DWS? It's a really popular tire... Seems to have lots of excellent reviews.

I currently have the MXM4 and I can say it's a very nice tire. Is it worth the cost (assuming I have to replace them)? No. I find that cheaper low to mid-range Michelin tires are never worth the cost and there's much better options out there for similar or cheaper price.

Check out Tire Rack for reviews. Also, I believe there's a new Bridgestone tire that's been released not too long ago. Not too sure what the model is though...

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
No love for Continental DWS? It's a really popular tire... Seems to have lots of excellent reviews.
And soft sidewalls. Go for the Bridgestones.

·
Registered
338 Posts
As I stated earlier, I do like the MXM4's for thier quiet and confortable ride, and I think they are durable. Will know more on that score tomorrow. They are not, however, much of a performance tire, esp around sharp curves.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Agreed with MagoonR on the Conti's. I think they are not a suitable tire on any Volvo due to their soft sidewalls.
And the DWSs will become quite noisy after 15,000 miles or so.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was originally considering the DWS until it was pointed out to me that they weren't XL load. Therefore, they would probably wear quicker. And, if what you all are saying about the soft sidewalls is true, then I will be staying away from them.

It looks like the winner is the Bridgestone. Sounds like a good tire!!

·
Registered
13,193 Posts
Wow, you must have a great relationship with your dealer if they are replacing the seats for bolster wear - good for you.

I have the OEM Michelins on my T5 and I like them a lot more than I would have ever thought. That said, I don't know that I would pay a couple of hundred bucks each to replace them when the time comes.

I have a set of Kumho Ecsta 4X from the car I traded that I will be putting on shortly as they're already mounted on a another set of wheels and are ready to go.

I have a set of DWS on my VR and they've been pretty flawless for the 15k or so that they've been on the car. I have also read about the soft sidewalls but haven't had a problem thus far.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sorry, but I am not a Bridgestone fan. Tried them once on my TL (Acura). Next day I swapped them for Michelin Pilots - much quieter! Handling was about equal.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Props to the Continental DWS. We have them on our Cayenne (not an S60, so XL for the size it runs) and they are riding and driving fine and wearing MUCH better than the Michelin Diamaris OEMs (blew through a set of those in about 15,000 miles! at about $250-300 a pop) For winter we sometimes put on some Pirelli Snow and Ice - awesome tire for harsh winter conditions. Had the Bridgestone Pole Positions on my Audi A4 for a while before I sold it and they were cool.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
And soft sidewalls. Go for the Bridgestones.
And the DWSs will become quite noisy after 15,000 miles or so.
95XL Rating for Continental DWS tires... $480USD for a whole set compared to $700... Never read of any excessive tire noise either. I'll take the chance :)

But either way, good luck with your purchase!

Sorry, but I am not a Bridgestone fan. Tried them once on my TL (Acura). Next day I swapped them for Michelin Pilots - much quieter! Handling was about equal.
Bridgestone manufacturers many tires... You gotta be more specific. It's like how I hate the Michelin Harmony but I can't hate Michelin because they make superb tires if you're willing to spend the money for a set of Pilot Super Sports or the likes.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I have the Conti DWS on the DWs 02 V70 t5. I had RE960AS on my 96 854t5.

Friday, I replaced the 960 with 970. So far, very nice, with a better ride than the 960. I still have yet to get on a highway. The 960 was excellent on the highway.

The Contis are, IMHO, mushy. DW likes them, I want to upgrade the shocks everytime I drive her car. The DWS does do better in snow than the 960s did. Mine were almost useless, I run winter tires on separate wheels, but we leave the DWS on her car in winter with good results.

If you value performance over ride, I find the Bridgestone to be a far better tire. Dunno what the snow performance will be like yet.

·
Registered
338 Posts
My T5's Michelin Primacy MXM4 were checked on Saturday with 30,000 miles on them. They have over 7/32" left on them. I had rotated the tires once since purchase prior to Saturday's service call. The wear on all 4 were evenly balanced.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I just hit 34k on my original ContiProContacts and just ordered another set. I know they have crap reviews but truthfully I was surprised to get 34k down to the wear bars on performance tires (235 40 18 on my T6) and I tried but could never break them loose! Maybe it's the AWD which is forgiving.

·
Registered
332 Posts
My "new" (last fall) 17" DWS's are FAR softer than my Pilot Sport2 A/S or the Bridgestones I've had. Very soft sidewalls...scary @( Germany Legal ;) ) speeds in twisty stuff compared to the PS-AS Plus...very soft sidewalls. They were good in what little snow we had this year ( compared to the 54" in a week b4) & I DO like them in the rain. It's a compromise tire IMHO.

My Bridgestone S0-2 Pole Position were the best summer tire I have ever had, period. Granted, that generation of tire is past. I'm looking forward to replacing my 18" Pirelli Rosso's with the new generation perhaps the 050...

I have to mention that MY preferences are weighted towards wet performance & braking... few of us will ever utilize the max dry performance of these except in a panic stop. FWIW, the S02's NEVER needed the ABS in my 850s..never !

Best of luck in your decision.

Michael

1 - 20 of 24 Posts