SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Started my day out right by purchasing some new rubber. I got me some Michelin Pilot Super Sports 235/40/18 95Y XL load bad boys.

Let me tell you they are a splendid tire and look quite awesome. Went to a local shop recommended by tire rack and had them installed.

The manager came out to bring me into the bay to point out a few minor blemishes on my wheels that he said might cause some paint damage from having the tires mounted and dismounted. I told him that there should be and damage and he assured me that it wouldnt be a problem.

NEEDLESS to say it was a problem as I came to find out........

There are two huge 4-5 inch gash marks from the tire machine

Now I find it quite absurd that a professional shop could have so much issues. Anyways out of kindness the manager did not charge me the 80$ it would have cost me to mount and balance all the tires...I felt that that was not good enough.

After haggling back and forth I told him that if he was so worried and confident that my rims would be damaged that he should have told me to go else where...

Conclusion:
Free install and I got him to give me a lifetime alignment at any of the shops as long as I owned the car....

I did not have the time or the patience to try and haggle for new paint or wheels or whatever..

WAS it a good a good deal that I got in the end? I dunnnooo. I guess we all have to life with what life throws at us :)

feel free to leave some thoughts on the situation guys
thanks

more pics of some baddassss tires

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
If you can't do the job right, don't bother doing it. Like you said, he should have said it's not possible. I don't even notice the curb rash on my wheels from the previous owner anymore.

On the other hand, those tires look sweet!! I'm thinking about getting a wheel and tire package from Tire Rack and they mention the wheels will not be scratched upon installation. Who knows.

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The other thing I forgot to mention was this.

I bought my car with the wheels being refinished by volvo. I found their paint job to be absolute ****. It was soft and anything I did rendered a scrape or peel. So I am wondering if the paint wasn't so easily ruined if I would have had a better shot?

Is there a warranty on Volvo refinishing wheels?

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
...I'm thinking about getting a wheel and tire package from Tire Rack and they mention the wheels will not be scratched upon installation. Who knows...
I do know. :)

I have personally witnessed Tire Rack's installation process in South Bend, IN headquarters. Their tire mounting equipment is vinyl coated to protect against such defects/damage. I have countless tire sets (Ok, maybe 15+ sets) over the years installed without issue.

As for the OP and other SS members looking to have tires installed... request to see their equipment before using their services. Confirm the contact points to the wheels are coated (vinyl, or similar). If not, move along to the next shop.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I will second the Tire Rack experience as being excellent. I ordered a tire/wheel package for my TT for track use. When I recieved the wheels, they were protected properly for shipping. There were no scrapes or scuffs and there wasn't even a finger print on the wheel that I could see. The balance job was the best I have ever experienced. No hint of vibration even at triple digit speeds.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
That sux they scratched your wheels but I love those tires they will be my next set after my direzzas are done. I just love michelins.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I really wish Tire Rack stocked Vreds as I really want to give them a try as a summer performance tire with some Enkei Ammodo wheels.

However, the Super Sports are a close second as they are great tires. I has the Sport A/S right now and they're nice

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I really wish Tire Rack stocked Vreds as I really want to give them a try as a summer performance tire with some Enkei Ammodo wheels.

However, the Super Sports are a close second as they are great tires. I has the Sport A/S right now and they're nice
I have Vreds. They are fronts starting to make noise at around 10k. They have about 6/32nds for tread depth. So I'll probably get around 15-18k on them. Great set of tires for sure.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I have Vreds. They are fronts starting to make noise at around 10k. They have about 6/32nds for tread depth. So I'll probably get around 15-18k on them. Great set of tires for sure.
How much of a difference were they from good all seasons?

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
I think you got a decent deal. I pay for 2 alignments/year (with each snow/summer tire changeover) given our road conditions here, so I think your free alignments for life is a big money saver.

My 19" VST Monoblock R's were fitted with 235/35-19 tires without a single mark anywhere on the wheel by a shop using Hunter mounting and balancing machines!
I always insist on Hunter or Corghi tire changing machines and never "shop around" for the best deal for tire mounting/balancing.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I mount and balance tires at my shop and the place you went to are a bunch of idiots. They do not know how to use the machines.

Sent from my Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Yeah, pegs are cheap. A lifetime alignment is an amazing offer.

I just had my car at Sears for a rotation/balance and some a-hole drove it up on the curve and backed off, leaving the bumper hanging off the car when I picked it up and I got no compensation. Pointed it out and they put it back on, but I'm thinking of calling to ask for some kind of compensation like a free alignment myself. Really hate how shoddy these idiots can be.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I bought he same tires at Discount Tire last month for about $10 more each than the tire rack price, they installed then with zero wheel damage, plus no shipping (I don't recall if tire rack give free shipping or not)

I concur that they are a great tire, much quieter that the conti DW's that they replaced and a noticeably better ride (but the conti's were worn out so comparing them against a brand new tire isn't really fair)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
How much of a difference were they from good all seasons?
The tires were new on the car when I bought about a year ago. So it is the only set of tires I have driven on so far. Being that I'll be replacing them before winter comes around with all seasons, I am hoping I don't notice a huge difference in handling at all.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I see only one potential downside to your free alignments. If they can't zero the steering position sensor the alignment is worthless. I paid for a lifetime through Firestone and found out when I took it in for a second alignment that they can't zero the sensor so they refunded my money.

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think you got a decent deal. I pay for 2 alignments/year (with each snow/summer tire changeover) given our road conditions here, so I think your free alignments for life is a big money saver.

My 19" VST Monoblock R's were fitted with 235/35-19 tires without a single mark anywhere on the wheel by a shop using Hunter mounting and balancing machines!
I always insist on Hunter or Corghi tire changing machines and never "shop around" for the best deal for tire mounting/balancing.
Definitely goin to have to hit you up for places once I get some snows! :)

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I see only one potential downside to your free alignments. If they can't zero the steering position sensor the alignment is worthless. I paid for a lifetime through Firestone and found out when I took it in for a second alignment that they can't zero the sensor so they refunded my money.
More info on that? Anyone come across this? First I've heard of it

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
AND IT CONTINUES.

Numb nuts left a set of vice grips on my tire rod...

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
AND IT CONTINUES.

Numb nuts left a set of vice grips on my tire rod...
Ugh. Well, at least he used the right tool for the job. :rolleyes:

What happened to using an open ended crescent wrench of the correct size to loosen/tighten a nut?

How/when did you notice the "tool"?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts