SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i need new tires again after only 18,247 miles and 10 months and the wife drives this car they were p-zero plus xl 235/45/18 on a 2014 s60 r-design stage 2 with tdi box ............ was looking at these https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp… and we do live in nj some light snow and cold and hot summers so lets see what you guys got and have to say thank you !!!! and where you bought from caus ei sent email to pirelli and fighting with tirerack too ! the car did have a 4 wheel alignment and done at the dealer mount ans blance as well !! and how many miles have to you got out of your tires ??

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I have Michelin SP3 (I think) from Costco.
Not sure how many miles I have on them but I know I got low miles out of the previous set and the warranty covered most of it. I paid very little for this set.
So:
1- 18K miles is not unusual. Those cars tend to go through tires fast. Some here will tell you they got 50K or something similar out of their tires. I've never had such luck neither do I expect it. I'd be happy with 20K miles.
2- Warranty is your friend so make sure to have them honor it.

·
Registered
17,449 Posts
That's insanity. Even with not much rotation and maybe one aligment (yes, dumb) I got nearly 45K out of a set of Bridgestone RE970AS. They are a little hard but I'm not a race boy. I'm not an ancient guy either, but somewhere in between. Yes, my cars are a generation older (all P2s) but these are great tires, and the last set I got 60K out of. Having said that, I have bought three sets of the Nokian Z-Line A/S from SimpleTire and had them mounted and balanced at Costco for under 60 bucks, and had an alignment done at my local other tire dealer for under 80. THESE tires are a fraction of the cost of the Michelin - they look good, perform in all seasons well and are smooth as butter.

Rotate 5K, air pressure set to 36, align often. I paid all of 340 to the door with a set of four in 235/45/17 and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Sorry to read about your poor tire wear. My 2015.5 V60CC is still wearing the original Pirelli Scorpion Verdes with 39,000 miles and the tread looks almost unused. I did have one major wheel alignment and a couple rotations. Most of my driving is on dry roads and zero snow/ice.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
What are you doing dude? I live just south of you in DE and drive 100 miles a day. Have had my General G-MAX AS-05s for 20k miles and they read 8.5-9/32" on all four tires (which start at 10/32"). I do my general rough driving on the on and off ramps, so I'm not babying them.

I'd vouch for them. They have great light snow traction and did well this past year. Also very quiet and comfortable.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
spoke to guy that works at volvo for 10 years he said Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 are great for s60s

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Yeah, if you like a tire that has great grip but then starts to wail at you when it gets progressively worn. If tire noise doesn't bother you then go right ahead.

(For completeness, I came from ExtremeContact DW's prior to my new Generals, not DWS, but they can't be that different).

·
Registered
904 Posts
I got life time alignment from Firestone and 4 new tires with 70k warranty bridgestone turanza serenity plus. since pirelli was done after 25k miles. I live in NJ as well and used those tires on all my cars and deff better 10x than pirelli.

·
Registered
318 Posts
What are you doing dude? I live just south of you in DE and drive 100 miles a day. Have had my General G-MAX AS-05s for 20k miles and they read 8.5-9/32" on all four tires (which start at 10/32"). I do my general rough driving on the on and off ramps, so I'm not babying them.

I'd vouch for them. They have great light snow traction and did well this past year. Also very quiet and comfortable.
This is probably easy freeway miles with less turning/drag on the tires - they are going to last longer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
318 Posts
I can’t help but chime in and say you can’t go wrong with Michelin. Cost more, but in my experience they last longer than other tires and they are more quiet and perform better.

Edit - I only got about 20K on my stock Continentals when I got the car. Bought a set of takeoff rims (for winter use and those also got about 20K miles. It was a while ago for both of those - mine car is a 2011. I estimate I have 25K on my Michelin PS3s with plenty of life still to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
994 Posts
The Pirelli's that come on the P3 S/V60 are junk. Our lasted about that long, maybe 20K tops. The started vibrating and shuttering at speed before the treadlife was gone, rebalance did not help it. Have had 2 sets of Continentals since and they have been excellent.

·
Registered
724 Posts
We have 36k on our V60CC, alternating between the OE Pirellis and a set of 225/65x16 Michelin X-Ice winters for the 3-4 snowy months. Both sets are well over 50% tread with brisk but sane driving. We always opt for the twisty back roads when we can.

When the time comes to replace the Pirellis, we're considering:
Ultra high performance all season
GENERAL G-MAX AS-05
MICHELIN PILOT SPORT A/S 3+
CONTINENTAL DWS-06
PIRELLI P ZERO ALL SEASON PLUS

Grand Touring All- Season
PIRELLI CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON PLUS
MICHELIN PRIMACY MXM4

·
Registered
17,449 Posts
I’m telling you guys- a Finnish tire is as good or better that that Michelin or conti. I was a true believer and still am on the Bridgestone too. These Zline’s are worth a look. Excellent wet and dry.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Nokian ZLine A/S. Nice tires, quiet, grippy and about $125 a corner. I had them on my C30 and loved them.

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
Vehicle: My 15.5 S60 T5 FWD

Winter Tire = Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 Winter Tyre

Spring / Summer / Fall Tire = Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+

·
Registered
188 Posts
Also running the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ 235/40ZR18 on my T6 S60 - had one alignment and regular rotations every 7,500 mi at Costco, still good amount of tread after 2 years and 35K mi. No track use on these, just some regular spirited driving. I could take an exact measure on tread depth later and update. Great tire IMO - used to have Bridgestones and Continentals and these are the better all-around tire IMO and quieter than either of the previous two.

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
Also running the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ 235/40ZR18 on my T6 S60 - had one alignment and regular rotations every 7,500 mi at Costco, still good amount of tread after 2 years and 35K mi. No track use on these, just some regular spirited driving. I could take an exact measure on tread depth later and update. Great tire IMO - used to have Bridgestones and Continentals and these are the better all-around tire IMO and quieter than either of the previous two.
Great tire except in winter. Why I bought a dedicated tire for the inclement weather. I didn't feel overly confident on the snow / ice with these all weather tires. Overall quiet and even wear patterns with regular rotations.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Nokian ZLine A/S. Nice tires, quiet, grippy and about $125 a corner. I had them on my C30 and loved them.
Will add it to the list...thanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
We all have our favorite tires and want to brag about them, mostly because of confirmation bias and the fact that we all spend so much money on these purchases of tires - ($1200.00) in our case.

Bias that includes myself, since we purchased a superlative set of Michelin summer performance tires for our ‘16 S60 r-design platinum with polestar and sport chassis. You get better quality everything when you spend more.

But I am not here to sell anyone tires.

A P-Zero Pirelli is a super soft performance summer tires. The fact that you traveled almost 20,000 out of a set is a miracle in my experience.

My last set (1996?) of Pirelli P7s only traveled 10,000 miles on my hundred horsepower Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS.

But I can tell you for sure that the P7 setup could go through a corner with more stability and confidence than anything short of racing slicks in those brief glorious 10,000 miles!

If your wife is the driver, and she is burning tires off her s60, that just says to me you chose wisely in the spouse department.

Anyone can go fast in a straight road, but races are won in the corners.

·
Registered
17,449 Posts
I stupidly spent 1,100 bucks on tires in NINETEEN EIGHTY SIX. Tires are a big deal.
They are the single thing connecting you to the surface. Skimp and all bets are off.

...and I agree with the last part of your post wholeheartedly!
We all have our favorite tires and want to brag about them, mostly because of confirmation bias and the fact that we all spend so much money on these purchases of tires - ($1200.00) in our case....
If your wife is the driver, and she is burning tires off her s60, that just says to me you chose wisely in the spouse department.
Anyone can go fast in a straight road, but races are won in the corners.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts