SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much searching on the forum, I decided to up size my tires when I was looking for new tires. I love Nokians, and went with the WRG3 SUV--an all weather tire rated with the snowflake for true winter performance. I went with a 165/50R19 which is .4" taller and .39" wider than the stock tires. I am sure there are those who question my wisdom and it is close in the front, but they fit. No rubbing.

I'll see what I think with more miles. I drive about 30k a year, so I'll have lots of seat time. I only put about 200 miles on the tires so far, but they handle great with little noise. I used Nokian WRg3s on my rear drive crown vic and the were great, can't wait to try these on the XC90.

I know conventional wisdom is taller and narrower for snows, but I have more ice here than powder. Wider is better on ice. Plus I like the wider meaner stance. I also wanted an all weather because I travel from VT, eastern NY and all of NJ, so my winter conditions can vary greatly.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I like it a lot,

The logic with narrower tire and ICE/Snow is the same weight is distributed over smaller area so that area has higher force with the ground and often that can help with traction. Otherwise wide is ok.

I ran wide winter tires for years and they worked great up until the point you were going through 6" of fresh snow then the car would plow and shift side to side. Once I went with skinnier tires you can cut through 6" of snow at high speeds without even noticing anything upsetting the car.
Best thing i did though is I got light weight 18" wheels and 235 Blizzak tires and the difference in ride and vehicle dynamics is absolutley amazing. Those stock tires/wheels are easily 75-80lbs. The stuff I installed is about 10-15lbs lighter. You can feel every bit of that.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I currently am running 255/50R19 Yokohama Ice Guard ig51v's. We got a foot and a half in 24 hours, and my '07 had no issues. It does float slightly between 5 and 10 mph, but the grooves clear perfectly at speeds above 10 and it pushes right through. The first foot was wet and heavy "concrete" snow, the half foot was cold dry snow.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I drove a Cadillac Catera with 245 wide Blizzaks for years, and one year we went up north in northern michigan in January went down some unplowed roads and i found the max speed limit of the car was 25mph, at that point it just couldnt accelarate any more and the steering became numb, it jsut didnt do anything you asked. Thats about the only thing i didnt like on it.

This will be my first year in the XC90, and ive done a lot of reading on its AWD system, watched a ton of videos but i cant wait to try it out for myself and see if it is in deed that good. Most say its an absolute tank, nothing stops it, if thats true im a happy man!!!

My V50 was what got me to buy the XC90 because it was an unstoppable machine pushing through 12" of snow with the front bumper and not showing signs of stopping, the XC has the ground clearance so im not worried about 12" of snow any more, but being that its as heavy as it is if it ever got stuck it will be much more difficult to get it unstuck unless you bring heavy hitters like a pick up truck or something.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I can testify to getting it unstuck. Last year I got mine stuck in 2.5 feet of "concrete" and we had to get it out with a skid steer. We cleared all the snow to bare ground behind the car, then pulled it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
location purchased

Where did you purchase them? I am trying to buy in or near Saratoga NY
225/65/p17
thanks!

After much searching on the forum, I decided to up size my tires when I was looking for new tires. I love Nokians, and went with the WRG3 SUV--an all weather tire rated with the snowflake for true winter performance. I went with a 165/50R19 which is .4" taller and .39" wider than the stock tires. I am sure there are those who question my wisdom and it is close in the front, but they fit. No rubbing.

I'll see what I think with more miles. I drive about 30k a year, so I'll have lots of seat time. I only put about 200 miles on the tires so far, but they handle great with little noise. I used Nokian WRg3s on my rear drive crown vic and the were great, can't wait to try these on the XC90.

I know conventional wisdom is taller and narrower for snows, but I have more ice here than powder. Wider is better on ice. Plus I like the wider meaner stance. I also wanted an all weather because I travel from VT, eastern NY and all of NJ, so my winter conditions can vary greatly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.