SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Anyone have any suggestions as to what tires I should get when I get my new wheels.
I have been thinking of Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum or Michelin Primacy MXM4. The Michelin seam to be better but cannot beat the cost of the Kumho.
2006 S60 2.5T AWD with 235/45R17
Opinions anyone and maybe alternates I should consider.

Barry

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Right now I'm running Sumitomos. I couldn't tell you the type though. They are all season performance though.

I initially thought Sumitomo wasn't a very good company, but after getting these tires I'm really satisfied. They look like they have some decent products up on tirerack. If you're looking for a low-cost option I'd recommend them.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
the all-season forum favorite is "Continental DWS"

·
Registered
913 Posts
DON'T get the kumhos, bought a set in 18, and had to return them, could never get the shake out, way too much runout. Returned and went with michelin, couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm running the DWS and they are better than most that I have tried. Price is reasonable, road noise is acceptable, wear is even and tread life looks good. They are a little soft in the sidewall. I think mine came witha 40 or 50k waranty.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Falken 452 is a nice aggressive, high performance all season tire. I've had a few sets and always very happy with them, great wet and dry traction.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Just ordered 4 sets of Kumho Ecsta 4X KU22 's today based on the ratings from tire rack. Wanted the bridgestone potenza RE970 pole position but out the door reached 4 figures, can't beat kumho ecsta 4x for the price. Ultra high performance all season tires.

·
Registered
277 Posts
What ever you do DON'T get Goodyear GT. They are great for the first 10K or so....now I am almost having to wear earplugs the road noise is so loud. I have also been to three different tire places to get them balanced but I still have a vibration.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I love my Eagle Gt's, they like to be around 35lbs on 225 40 18's

I find tire shopping hard as everyone seems to have their own opinion as to what "good ride/handling/wear" is.

·
Registered
556 Posts
What ever you do DON'T get Goodyear GT. They are great for the first 10K or so....now I am almost having to wear earplugs the road noise is so loud. I have also been to three different tire places to get them balanced but I still have a vibration.
^THIS......My Goodyear GT's lasted 18,000 miles. Junk

·
Registered
171 Posts
Got Rid of Eagle GT's 235/45/R17's . Alignment was messed up which helped to get rid of the GT's even faster. Got these Kumho Ecsta 4x from firestone. Mounted, Balanced, Aligned and purchased road hazard + lifetime alignment. Never spent 4 figures on tires, still think they charged me more than I expected for these Kumhos. I wanted to go with the Potenza RE970 AS pole position, but it was already a grand without the alignment and road hazard. Drove about 30 miles today with these Kumho's on, much smoother, I didn't feel the vibrations that i used to get on the Eagle GT's before. Quiet? May be, My muffler noise is all i hear :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
woah, I feel like I'm stepping back into a time machine looking at those pictures. Can you instagram what you had for lunch as well?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Tires are like booze or shoes, you pay for what you get. This is a bad place to go cheep.

I am very pleased with the Bridgestone RE970 AS that I bought in 5-12.

·
Registered
171 Posts
woah, I feel like I'm stepping back into a time machine looking at those pictures. Can you instagram what you had for lunch as well?
Lol, i haven't tried instagramming my lunch yet

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the comments, I decided to go with the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum. I will let you all know what I think as time goes on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts