SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after searching forum, I installed new timing belt on my 04 v70 2.5t without a hitch.
I havn't started the car yet since I'm doing some other work to the vehicle.

I was just told that when I changed the TB, I was suppose to lock the cams as they are vvt.

WELL, I didn't lock the came unfortunately because I didn't read about it in the research I did.

I know for a fact that both cam gears moved a bit independently while making some attempts at putting the new TB on.

Now I'm not sure what to do. All marks still line up as prior to arrival. Is there a way to reset the cams? Does anyone suspect a problem?

-Rob

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (firehawk618)

OK,
Should I do this with the timing belt off? ie. rotate the intake cam 90 degrees clockwise (from the TDC mark) then counterclockwise so the cam-gear TDC mark is lines up with the mark on the upper plastic cover?

Same with exhaust cam?

AS far as crankshaft gear, I found 2 marks on 2 adjacent gears. these marks should be on either side of the mark on the block?

Thanks, Rob

·
Registered
927 Posts
Re: (04v70)

Turn the engine over by hand with the spark plugs out several times. You'll know if it's off.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Re: (Edogg218)

Quote, originally posted by Edogg218 »
Turn the engine over by hand with the spark plugs out several times. You'll know if it's off.
Yes, you'll know if it's off a whole bunch. Off a couple teeth will never show up this way.

When you line up the cams, do it by hand, rotate each one 90 degrees clockwise then rotate back will the mark lines up. Do for each cam.

Crankshaft mark should line up with the mark on the oil pump. Or you can always put a rod in the cyl 1 sparkplug hole, then just move the crank till you have the rod at it's highest point. That is dead center. From there look at your crankshaft mark and make sure it lines up with the cast in the oil pump.

Just went through all this a few weeks ago on my R. And for the record I did get it right the first time using this method. No CEL and have put hundereds of miles on the car since.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Re: (firehawk618)

Quote, originally posted by firehawk618 »

Yes, you'll know if it's off a whole bunch. Off a couple teeth will never show up this way.

When you line up the cams, do it by hand, rotate each one 90 degrees clockwise then rotate back will the mark lines up. Do for each cam.

Crankshaft mark should line up with the mark on the oil pump. Or you can always put a rod in the cyl 1 sparkplug hole, then just move the crank till you have the rod at it's highest point. That is dead center. From there look at your crankshaft mark and make sure it lines up with the cast in the oil pump.

Just went through all this a few weeks ago on my R. And for the record I did get it right the first time using this method. No CEL and have put hundereds of miles on the car since.

I like his method better

1 - 7 of 7 Posts