SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after searching forum, I installed new timing belt on my 04 v70 2.5t without a hitch. <p>I havn't started the car yet since I'm doing some other work to the vehicle.<p>I was just told that when I changed the TB, I was suppose to lock the cams as they are vvt.<p>WELL, I didn't lock the came unfortunately because I didn't read about it in the research I did.<p>I know for a fact that both cam gears moved a bit independently while making some attempts at putting the new TB on.<p>Now I'm not sure what to do. All marks still line up as prior to arrival. Is there a way to reset the cams? Does anyone suspect a problem?<p>-Rob

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Re: New timing belt, Problem with cam. (04v70)

The Cam gear will move a little if not locked but the important this is did the Cams themselves move and if they did were they put back to where they should be before the TB was put on.<p>Rotating the Cam gear clockwise until it stops against the cam, is the correct position for the CVVT to be in against the cam. So basically if the cam gear marks are lined up and the gear was rotated clockwise and lines up with the marks you're probably ok. <p>If you rotate the cam gear clockwise and it stops either before or past the timing mark, then the cam has rotated. Usually you can just rotate the cam gear by hand with a little force to move the cam into the proper position and roll the timing belt on while holding the cam from rotating.<p>Sorry if this sounds confusing, I've just done hundreds of these jobs and actually have and older 2000 S70 to do later today.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: New timing belt, Problem with cam. (Oceans60R)

So basically make sure both cam gears have a load on them as their turned clockwise, then bring them upto TDC with the load on the gear?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: New timing belt, Problem with cam. (04v70)

Big thanks to everyone, got car up and runnning and everything seems OK!!!!!<p>THANKS!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts