SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been driving my 2002 T5 (Manual) Silver, 17" Tethys, etc. for about 2 weeks now and am very impressed. I have a question about something I noticed on the car though that I want to look into getting replaced. After all, the car is brand new, and I'm very meticulous, almost anal. <P>Anyway, yesterday I noticed when I got into the car that the titanium looking piece of molding on the inside of the passenger door (the one that surrounds the interior door handle) has a very small dent in it. Of course now everytime I get into the car the first thing I do is look over at it, it's bothering the hell out of me just knowing it's there so I want to get the panel replaced. Question is, is this something that is easily replaced or is it something ridiculous like needing a new door :). It seems to me that these titanium panels could easily be replaced with a wood grain type of upgrade so I am assuming my dealer can order and replace this panel quite easily. The only other complaint I have is that my parking break seems to be pretty loose. I really have to pull it up quite high when I park and even then when I take my foot off the brake, the car knudges foward. Don't know if this is a Volvo thing but I'm having them check that and tighten if necessary later this week.<P>My other question is regarding maintenence. Is there any penalty for not taking the car to your Volvo dealer for the scheduled maintenence? Coming from AUDI, all my scheduled maintenence (every 5K miles) which included oil changes, etc were completely free. Even windshiled wipers were warrantied. I think my first Volvo maintenece is like $169 (and they increase in price with each one) for pretty much an oil change and tire rotation. I don't know about you but I am not paying hundreds of dollars everytime I need an oil change.<P>Thanks...Jfilez

·
Registered
128 Posts
Congratulations on the new car!<P>I am sure that the panels are replacable since other S60s come with wood-look trim. And I have seen some aftermarket wood kits. I think that you will find that most people here feel the same way about their cars as you.<P>I have had my T5 since late October and I took it for a 1500 mile oil change to a local Firestone center. As long as the maintenace requires just an oil change/tire rotation, like you, I will not pay hundreds of dollars for the priviledge. I don't think Volvo could make a warranty claim against you for that.<P>When I went to buy my car, my salesman mentioned to me how so many Passat and A4 owners are buying S60s. I saw two Passats and one A4 in addition to the Passat I was trading, Volvo should be doing some research on this. Good luck with your car...

·
Registered
187 Posts
jfilez:<P>Congrats on the new car (sounds exactly like my 2001).<P>I know exactly what your talking about with the door trim (which you can replace). I also figured out that the dents came from the seat belt. When you are unfastening your seat belt, if you just let it go it snaps back and hits the door trim. I got used to letting it go slowly and no more nicks.<P>-PK

·
Registered
692 Posts
I think my first Volvo maintenece is like $169 (and they increase in price with each one) for pretty much an oil change and tire rotation. I don't know about you but I am not paying hundreds of dollars everytime I need an oil change.<P>Thanks...Jfilez[/B][/QUOTE]<P>After learning how to change my oil on my old Volvo turbo, and realizing that there were hoses to the turbo that needed to be drained, I would only bring my car to a specialty volvo shop (not necessarily the dealer, but a shop very familiar with Volvos, and one that uses volvo parts). You can also bring your car to the dealer and just request an oil change, if you want to do the rest yourself (inspection, etc). That should save you some $$, and still show that it was dealer serviced.<BR>

·
Registered
8 Posts
don't know about Volvo, but we just sold a Honda privately and the buyer wanted to continue the extended warranty. Honda gave me a VERY hard time because "you didn't bring it to us for scheduled maintenance so we are voiding your warranty."<P>I did the scheduled maintenance, but they made me produce receipts to show I had done the easy stuff (oil, filters, etc.). My suggestion, keep receipts, or use a mechanic who records everything and will produce your maintenance history at your request.

·
Registered
528 Posts
No question that you can replace those trim pieces on the door. Should be covered under warranty in fact.<P>Mine were replaced twice under warranty (on my V70) since they chipped after a very short time (The door handle contacted them when opened).<P>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts