SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently had my 2005 V50 T5 in for my 127,500 mile service and got a couple surprises. Not shocking, but wasn't expecting to have to replace the struts and controls arms since I haven't been noticing any symptoms. That said, the car is 9 years old and has over 125k on the odometer, so I don't think that's a bad lifespan for those parts.

My car has the "dynamic trim" package and I'm nearly positive it has a factor option for performance suspension. If such a thing existed, it has it.

My mechanic has saved me a lot of money in the past. He replaced my alternator for about 1/2 of what the dealership was estimating, and has generally been helpful with budgeting. I'm curious if you guys can help me vet the parts prices that he's listed to makes sure everything looks ok.

One thing I've noticed while I'm copying all of this in is that the labor for the struts and control arms might be built into the price of the parts... On the labor for these items is $0 on his estimate. So that might make my question harder to answer.

30681546 Strut Mount-N 2.0 @ 37.27 = $74.54
31262470 Strut Bearing-N 2.0 @ 23.31 = $46.62
334843 Strut Assembly-N 1.0 @ 214.47 = $214.47
334842 Strut Assembly-N 1.0 @ 214.09 = $214.09

31277464 Control Arm w/ Ball Join-N 1.0 @ $202.16
31277465 Control Arm w/ Ball Join-N 1.0 @ $202.16

I've done some searching around on here sand it sounds like the OEM struts a good and fine to use for replacement. Is there a strong perspective that it might be worth spending extra on K&N struts? I don't drive my car particularly aggressively anymore, but I do enjoy confident handling.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
your 1st part number: http://www.tascaparts.com/oe-volvo/30681546?search_str=30681546 =$26.36
2nd http://www.tascaparts.com/volvo/v50...=suspension-strut-bearing?search_str=31262470 =$17.28
3rd http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-suspension-strut-assembly-v50-s40-334843 =$99.87
4th http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-suspension-strut-assembly-v50-s40-334842 =$99.87

5/6th listed : control arms : http://www.tascaparts.com/oe-volvo/31277464?search_str=31277464 = $130.19 EACH.

so, the price you paid was $954.04 for parts and labor??

Vs. $503.76 + shipping( not sure how much it'd cost) but lets say it were 100$.

obviously buying the parts yourself is cheaper, but do you know how to install them, or do you have the time?
to me, as long as your paying 954$ for parts and labor it doesnt sound bad.

I think other people may be able to help you figure out if thats a good price though. Taking those struts out does take a bit of time. so for around 100$/hr it can get pretty costly.
Now, as far as replacing those parts without asking you? that seems pretty normal(mechanics love doing stuff like that it seems). they probably needing replacing soon anyway.
OEM parts are decent quality, For someone driving under normal conditions, you probably dont need upgraded struts, which start at around double the price of OEM parts. $210.00 each and up for some of them.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
agreed. common wear parts - would say you're lucky to get so much mileage on the original set. i replaced my shocks and lca at 40k miles!

fair prices if labor included.

struts are usually 2-3hr job and lca usually another 1hr

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
^yep, if your paying over double price, and then labor on top of that, its time to find a new guy, or better yet, learn how to do it yourself and SAVE A LOT
Recently had my 2005 V50 T5 in for my 127,500 mile service and got a couple surprises. Not shocking, but wasn't expecting to have to replace the struts and controls arms since I haven't been noticing any symptoms.
Also, forgot to mention, nice pun there^
-hope he didnt charge you an arm and a leg for labor. bearing in mind thats on top of the double-price parts.
EDIT: okay, ill show myself out now :facepalm:

·
Registered
71 Posts
-hope he didnt charge you an arm and a leg for labor. bearing in mind thats on top of the double-price parts.
Ahhh, a good pun makes me chuckle. Thanks, I needed that this morning!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^yep, if your paying over double price, and then labor on top of that, its time to find a new guy, or better yet, learn how to do it yourself and SAVE A LOT

Glad the pun didn't go to waste.

I haven't had the work done yet, but so far this is extremely helpful feedback. I'm not too worried that my guy is over charging me, but its always good to check. I replaced the struts and springs on my VW Passat about 10 years ago - went with Koni's when I did that, which were great. Plus lowered the car about 1.25" - and I could probably do the same work on my V50. It did take me a full day on the VW, though, so I think I could skip doing it myself this time in favor of doing yard work or something else around the house. Compressing springs with a ratchet was not the most awesome thing I've ever done. I also need a wheel bearing replaced and a few other bits of maintenance, so my mechanic can do it all at once.

I'll see if my mechanic has any more wiggle room on the parts, but sounds like this isn't too bad a price. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts