SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i bought an 04 s60 couples month ago non turbo , since i put h&r spring , bilstein b8 , ipd end link , front /back ,all new control arm bushing , the car was rattle less for about one month , now the head shock are bust but not a big deal since its relatively cheap , their is another little tic sound on my left front wheel when a put the car on reverse ( manual tranny) and release the clutch when i come to the friction point i hear a little tic or toc , when i put in first same thing , like the front wheel is moving front to back or a little loose in bolt or quardan , what could cause this , since almost everything is new ( 3 month)

thanks !

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool i will chek the mount , but i think the sound is more near the wheel , i have heard somewhere the axle bolt can make this ? and we could fix the click with xc90 bolt ? but not sure I could add that the click sound start when i reach friction point on reverse first , after it got wroste ( not the sound but when it make it ) ,now, when i reach friction point in first , and even going at like 3 mph in first when i release the gas and get on it back it does it , i will inspect everything when we will do the top shock job , just ordered all the stuff today , i will keep you updated !

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
axle bolt noise.. use the rubber washers that come with xc90 bolts or just deal with it

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update , i have changed the top shock mount with new bearing yesterday on the front end and i can say pretty much all clunk are gone !!!

Now i only have a little rattle like something is chaking a little , i don't know if i'm too paranoid since its a 170k km car with a super stiff suspension ,could the caliper or brake dust protector shaking ? anyway now for the tic sound when putting reverse , my question is wich bolt are you talking about ( xc90 bolt) bolt # 1 or 2 , or something else???

i also have found a little play on the axle when you move it in and out of the tranny ( about 1/8" play, is that normal ?

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Update , i have changed the top shock mount with new bearing yesterday on the front end and i can say pretty much all clunk are gone !!!

Now i only have a little rattle like something is chaking a little , i don't know if i'm too paranoid since its a 170k km car with a super stiff suspension ,could the caliper or brake dust protector shaking ? anyway now for the tic sound when putting reverse , my question is wich bolt are you talking about ( xc90 bolt) bolt # 1 or 2 , or something else???

i also have found a little play on the axle when you move it in and out of the tranny ( about 1/8" play, is that normal ?
The axle bolt is the #1 you are pointing to.

Having side-to-side play in the axle would suggest that your axle bolt it loose, and therefore may be the culprit to your "clunking/clicking" noise when the axles experience an instantaneous load, ie. shifting into reverse, drive, etc.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thanks , we notice a little play on the bolt #2 like the hole was stulled with the time , so we use another hole before retightened the bolt, the axle defenatly have at least 1/8 play in and out of the tranny , i will order the bolt from xc90 , what year a need ?, could it be my axle need to be replaced , i know it usualy made some rattle when turning on other car but i was wondering if it could be that ,also can the bilstein be noisy , because its still got some rattle sound , not much but can be noticed with the radio turned off, other than swaybar itself , ball joint and tie rod , everything is new .

thanks for the help guys !

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Ok thanks , we notice a little play on the bolt #2 like the hole was stulled with the time , so we use another hole before retightened the bolt, the axle defenatly have at least 1/8 play in and out of the tranny , i will order the bolt from xc90 , what year a need ?, could it be my axle need to be replaced , i know it usualy made some rattle when turning on other car but i was wondering if it could be that ,also can the bilstein be noisy , because its still got some rattle sound , not much but can be noticed with the radio turned off, other than swaybar itself , ball joint and tie rod , everything is new .

thanks for the help guys !
Yea the small nut/bolt that holds the rotor on will sometimes loosen from vibrations.

As for the in and out play of the axle, that sounds to be normal. There should be that amount of play in and out for the axle because the axle needs space to move when the front suspension is compressed and when the spindles experience compressive load (driving).

·
Registered
343 Posts
You might want to look into a tranny mount too, the small back bushing tends to go...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 - 12 of 12 Posts