SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'16 XC70, '06 V70R, '99 LR Discovery 1, '96 + '94 LC FZJ80, '88 XR4Ti, '78 Saab 99, '70 LR Series 2A
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not a cracked block but two lifted sleeves.....

Short of finding a near unicorn B5244T5 engine to swap in into blown engine R, what are peoples experience with B5254T2 option?

I have fresh set of V70R heads to swap on to a B5254T2, but what about swapping in my heavier duty B5254T5 (R) pistons and rods too? While I'm not going for big power gains, maybe 375whp, it seems like adding pin strength and fresh rings would be prudent spend. Not looking to do full short block overhaul, just dont have funds or power goals.

Anyone else swapped 4T4 piston and rod, with new rings and big end bearings, swap into a B5254T2?

Would swapping 4T4 pistons into a 4T2 put compression back to 8.5:1?

Are blocks and bore of B5254T5 and B5254T2 the same?

Thnx

Corrected some engine #s, #thanks IPA...

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
A few years back someone built an R engine from a 2.5t engine block, machined out the engine and added larger sleeves and pistons. Apparently the block is stronger than the R block.

At least that was the thinking behind it.

Edit: actually, maybe it was a 2.4l engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Pistons and rods for the 4T4 and T5 engines are unique due to the longer stoke of those engines.

Best bet is to swap your crank, rods, and pistons into the new block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
A few years back someone built an R engine from a 2.5t engine block, machined out the engine and added larger sleeves and pistons. Apparently the block is stronger than the R block.

375 wheel - you definitely do not want to use T2 pistons & rods.

·
Registered
'16 XC70, '06 V70R, '99 LR Discovery 1, '96 + '94 LC FZJ80, '88 XR4Ti, '78 Saab 99, '70 LR Series 2A
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I've read of a few who have done the that with OEM 2.3L engines, but not 2.4 or 2.5. Adding Darton, or equal, sleeves to a 2.5L 4T4 would mitigate a lot of hi power risk, but I dont want to dump 5K into a short block.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I've read of a few who have done the that with OEM 2.3L engines, but not 2.4 or 2.5. Adding Darton, or equal, sleeves to a 2.5L 4T4 would mitigate a lot of hi power risk, but I dont want to dump 5K into a short block.
What you’re really trying to do is build an 81mm 2.4L with a 93.2mm stroke. So, but a 2.3 block, B5244T4 pistons & rings from Volvo, and use the crank & rods from your existing 4T4. Shim the block and it will be very strong.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Sounds right, it’s been a while since I read those posts

1 - 7 of 7 Posts