SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a breakdown of tires I've ran in the XC70:

0-39k miles: OEM Continental 4x4 Contact - we all know how bad it was.

39k-76k miles: Continental ExtremeContact DWS - it was night and day difference from the OEM. Traction on dry and wet surface +45F are excellent, second to none. There's hardly any hydroplaning felt especially when going through the ruts on the interstate. Steering never jolted out of control when going through puddles. It doesn't even spin even gunning it from a dead stop.

Snow traction is very acceptable for four-seasons tire. Of course, a full blown winter tires fare better in deep snow/ice, but the DWS does its job outstandingly for 1-2" of fresh snow.

Early this month it got down to 3/32nd on the center tread and 4/32 on the outer tread. It's always been less tread on the center than on the outer tread (I measured it from the day I bought them). I always run them cold at 33psi, 35 max so can't be overinflated. I think it's by design (chamfered edge?). When I was looking at a tire hung on the display, I noticed that the recent design changed a little bit, where it's even throughout the tread.

Even at 3/32nd depth, the grip on there is still way more glued to the road than a brand new 4x4 Contact. I notice that the inner tread (where it zigzags) still has a lot of tread even though the treadwear bars have shown up.

76k - now: Pirelli Scorpion Verde All-Season
Since we're coming to winter, I decided to not run the DWS any further and got new tires. Another DWS in 235/55R17 would be a 3-months lead time; no way. Another option was Goodyear or Yokohama; nahh. So I looked around and found the Verde's. Read the reviews on TireRack and gave it a go. (By the way, I got credits from replacing the DWS since it wore out in less than 50k miles. It was close to $60 credit per tire). So I had the Verdes purchased and installed.

I made sure I drove a couple of hundred miles to wear off the protective layer. For sure the ride is butter smooth! It absorbs uneven surface nicely. Steering feedback and response is similar to the DWS, which I like.

The road noise level is about the same as the DWS, the difference is the pitch: DWS has that high-pitch noise similar to a sports/performance tire, while the Verdes has a low-pitch noise. I call that the "SUV-tire" hum.

Traction in wet seems to be less grippy than the DWS, especially from a dig. I caught myself slipping the tires as I gunned it. I'm thinking it may still have the protective layer. I'll probably wait until another couple of thousand miles before final evaluation.

It seems to be less stable at speed +75mph, compared to the DWS. Kind of expecting that since it is a different segment tire (SUV Touring vs Ultra-High Performance, V-rated vs W-rated, with the Verdes and DWS respectively).

Also I noticed that the Verdes are actually OEM for 2012+ XC70's? I noticed that when checking out our local dealer's inventory of XC70's.

Anyway, here's to hoping to get more mileage out of these tires. I'll probably do additional review after the Thanksgiving weekend as we'll be driving through snow.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Here's a breakdown of tires I've ran in the XC70:

0-39k miles: OEM Continental 4x4 Contact - we all know how bad it was.

39k-76k miles: Continental ExtremeContact DWS - it was night and day difference from the OEM. Traction on dry and wet surface +45F are excellent, second to none. There's hardly any hydroplaning felt especially when going through the ruts on the interstate. Steering never jolted out of control when going through puddles. It doesn't even spin even gunning it from a dead stop.

Snow traction is very acceptable for four-seasons tire. Of course, a full blown winter tires fare better in deep snow/ice, but the DWS does its job outstandingly for 1-2" of fresh snow.

Early this month it got down to 3/32nd on the center tread and 4/32 on the outer tread. It's always been less tread on the center than on the outer tread (I measured it from the day I bought them). I always run them cold at 33psi, 35 max so can't be overinflated. I think it's by design (chamfered edge?). When I was looking at a tire hung on the display, I noticed that the recent design changed a little bit, where it's even throughout the tread.

Even at 3/32nd depth, the grip on there is still way more glued to the road than a brand new 4x4 Contact. I notice that the inner tread (where it zigzags) still has a lot of tread even though the treadwear bars have shown up.

76k - now: Pirelli Scorpion Verde All-Season
Since we're coming to winter, I decided to not run the DWS any further and got new tires. Another DWS in 235/55R17 would be a 3-months lead time; no way. Another option was Goodyear or Yokohama; nahh. So I looked around and found the Verde's. Read the reviews on TireRack and gave it a go. (By the way, I got credits from replacing the DWS since it wore out in less than 50k miles. It was close to $60 credit per tire). So I had the Verdes purchased and installed.

I made sure I drove a couple of hundred miles to wear off the protective layer. For sure the ride is butter smooth! It absorbs uneven surface nicely. Steering feedback and response is similar to the DWS, which I like.

The road noise level is about the same as the DWS, the difference is the pitch: DWS has that high-pitch noise similar to a sports/performance tire, while the Verdes has a low-pitch noise. I call that the "SUV-tire" hum.

Traction in wet seems to be less grippy than the DWS, especially from a dig. I caught myself slipping the tires as I gunned it. I'm thinking it may still have the protective layer. I'll probably wait until another couple of thousand miles before final evaluation.

It seems to be less stable at speed +75mph, compared to the DWS. Kind of expecting that since it is a different segment tire (SUV Touring vs Ultra-High Performance, V-rated vs W-rated, with the Verdes and DWS respectively).

Also I noticed that the Verdes are actually OEM for 2012+ XC70's? I noticed that when checking out our local dealer's inventory of XC70's.

Anyway, here's to hoping to get more mileage out of these tires. I'll probably do additional review after the Thanksgiving weekend as we'll be driving through snow.
FWIW, the new 2012/2013 XC70's come off the assembly line with Pirelli Scorpion Verde All-Season tires. We also like them as a good all-arounder.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts