SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had 25,000 miles on my Scorpion Verdes and although they still had 5/32 inch of tread depth left, Costco was running a sale on the Michelin's so I decided to get new tires for my XC90. I've got 20 inch wheels on my car, and while I've never found the noise obtrusive, I could honestly say the car was not super quiet. So my left brain talked me into installing an app on my iPhone (Decibel X) and finding a nice smooth patch of road, I drove that distance with the record feature on the app. I held the car at a constant 50 mph, and the radio off, but AC running, fan on low. The result was 79.5 dB, frequency weighting A. I just reran the same course, using the same conditions, but with the new tires and the result was 63.1 dB, which is astounding to me. A 3 dB difference in sound level amounts to doubling of the sound intensity, but it is commonly believed that the human ear requires a 10dB difference to perceive a doubling of intensity.

I am sure, the age of the Pirellis and the tread depth difference contributed to this difference, but I am impressed with the Michelins. It makes listening to the B&W a lot nicer now.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I did the same thing 2-3 months ago. Michelin’s are in almost every way better. Very happy with our decision. Well, technically my decision since wife couldn’t care less or notices the difference. “I don’t get it, what’s the difference?”
🏻

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I just replaced my 33,000 mile tires on 18” wheels with new tires on 20” wheels and it made a huge difference wrt noise levels.....but I didn’t change brand or model and 20’s are supposed to be louder.

Thats why its so hard to evaluate differences between tires, you’re always comparing brand new tires with old worn tires. You almost have to rely on expert tests. I do think that tests will show the Michy’s to be quieter, but not by nearly that degree. maybe 1db or 2.

I was ready to buy the Michy’s as well but then chose to get the 20” wheel deal my dealer offered me which included tires....

Its all good. What. GREAT car and an awesome audio system. I love driving it every time! Have you checked out the B&W audiophile playlists on Spotify? There’s some good stuff there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I had 25,000 miles on my Scorpion Verdes and although they still had 5/32 inch of tread depth left, Costco was running a sale on the Michelin's so I decided to get new tires for my XC90. I've got 20 inch wheels on my car, and while I've never found the noise obtrusive, I could honestly say the car was not super quiet. So my left brain talked me into installing an app on my iPhone (Decibel X) and finding a nice smooth patch of road, I drove that distance with the record feature on the app. I held the car at a constant 50 mph, and the radio off, but AC running, fan on low. The result was 79.5 dB, frequency weighting A. I just reran the same course, using the same conditions, but with the new tires and the result was 63.1 dB, which is astounding to me. A 3 dB difference in sound level amounts to doubling of the sound intensity, but it is commonly believed that the human ear requires a 10dB difference to perceive a doubling of intensity.

I am sure, the age of the Pirellis and the tread depth difference contributed to this difference, but I am impressed with the Michelins. It makes listening to the B&W a lot nicer now.
Is the Premier higher quality than the Michelin Defender?

Nora in Florida

·
Registered
24 Posts
Is the Premier higher quality than the Michelin Defender?

Nora in Florida
Different tires.

The Premier LTX is an SUV/light truck tire and the Defender is a Standard (sedan/coupe/small crossover) tire.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Different tires.

The Premier LTX is an SUV/light truck tire and the Defender is a Standard (sedan/coupe/small crossover) tire.
I was asking because last week my 2002 Ford Ranger truck needed new tires. And the dealership put on Michelin Defender mud and snow. I was wondering whether that was a good choice.

Nora in Florida

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just replaced my 33,000 mile tires on 18” wheels with new tires on 20” wheels and it made a huge difference wrt noise levels.....but I didn’t change brand or model and 20’s are supposed to be louder.
Considering 20" were much more louder is it still acceptable level compared to 18"? I have 19" and having doubts how much louder it will be swapping to 20" and whether it is worth doing that

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was asking because last week my 2002 Ford Ranger truck needed new tires. And the dealership put on Michelin Defender mud and snow. I was wondering whether that was a good choice.

Nora in Florida
The Defender is a great tyre, one I personally like better than the Premier LTX as it, the Defender, is a bit more of a M&S tyre. But it’s not made in the 21” sizing for my T8 iirc, so I’m going with the Premiers soon.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just changed my tires from crap Pirelli's to Continental ExtremeCont DWS's and I found them to be by far the best tires I have ever bought. It is a whole world of difference compares to the garbage Pirelli's that was also horrible in the snow. They also made horrible squeaking noises while driving which I initially thought to be bad bearings.
I am happy now :thumbup:

·
Registered
81 Posts
The LTX is a better tire than the Verdes, even with only 4/32 tread remaining. Premiers were quiet, I have no problem making the Verdes whine around corners. Michelin AS3 N-spec is my next tire.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The Defender is a great tyre, one I personally like better than the Premier LTX as it, the Defender, is a bit more of a M&S tyre. But it’s not made in the 21” sizing for my T8 iirc, so I’m going with the Premiers soon.
Do they make the Premier in a 21" size/speed for our vehicle? I though I read that dealers wouldn't install them because the speed rating was lower than the OEM Pirelli tires. I have the factory 21" wheels and I'd also like to switch to Michelin when the time comes for replacment.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Considering 20" were much more louder is it still acceptable level compared to 18"? I have 19" and having doubts how much louder it will be swapping to 20" and whether it is worth doing that
I can’t imagine you’ll notice much or any difference between 19’s and 20’s, but I’ve never done it so ICBW......

·
Registered
83 Posts
I can’t imagine you’ll notice much or any difference between 19’s and 20’s, but I’ve never done it so ICBW......

19" width is 245, 20" - 275, thus expecting them to be louder

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
19" width is 245, 20" - 275, thus expecting them to be louder

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
I wasn’t clear in my other post.

My expectation as well going from a 235 to a 275 was that the new tires would be a lot louder, and they simply weren’t. In fact the opposite was true.

I’m sure if I were comparing a new tire to another new tire the difference would be that the new tires were slightly louder. As I was going from an old tire to a new tire the net result is a quieter experience for now. That is why I am speculating that the difference wouldn’t have been as much as I expected and why I speculate that the difference between going from a 19 to a 20 will be tolerable.

Pure speculation on my part

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I thought I read that dealers wouldn't install them because the speed rating was lower than the OEM Pirelli tires.
Both the Scorpion and the Premier LTX are V rated which means 149 mph.

·
Registered
179 Posts

Congrats on the new tires! Looking for replacements myself. Are they as low profile as the pirelli's?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, the exact same size, 275/45R20.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts