SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to stop in and introduce myself. This week, I purchased a 2008 S80 V8. My initial impressions of the car couldn't be better. I've owned a lot of different cars, and this is quickly becoming my favorite. If anybody could provide me any advice on the car based on your experiences with S80s, I would be grateful.

My car appears to be very highly optioned, and I think you guys would like to know that it has over 180,000 miles on it. This should be a testament to the longevity of these cars. It still runs and drives as new.

·
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow. This forum is pretty dead. Is there a particular forum where all of the S80 owners are?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
No, not really. The S80 isn't a very common car in general and is even less common among those that frequent message boards. You'll find several S80 forums but all of them are pretty slow.

VERY nice car though. I forgot how expensive the optioned up S80 V8 was. Do you mind posting what you paid for it? I bought my T6 last year but it didn't come with BLIS, Dynaudio or the sport package. It was difficult to find one with those options anywhere near me that was also a CPO and I was tired of waiting so I just went with what was available. I would have really appreciated the folding mirrors, xenons and upgraded stereo though.

180,000 miles is crazy for a 2008! At least that means they're probably mostly highway. The T6 has held up pretty well and I'd be willing to bet the V8 is even better.

·
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, not really. The S80 isn't a very common car in general and is even less common among those that frequent message boards. You'll find several S80 forums but all of them are pretty slow.

VERY nice car though. I forgot how expensive the optioned up S80 V8 was. Do you mind posting what you paid for it? I bought my T6 last year but it didn't come with BLIS, Dynaudio or the sport package. It was difficult to find one with those options anywhere near me that was also a CPO and I was tired of waiting so I just went with what was available. I would have really appreciated the folding mirrors, xenons and upgraded stereo though.

180,000 miles is crazy for a 2008! At least that means they're probably mostly highway. The T6 has held up pretty well and I'd be willing to bet the V8 is even better.
I've wanted one of these since the new style S80 came out back in 07. I remember sitting in one at the auto show in detroit and telling my friend that in 5 years it would be worth about $5 because of Volvo's horrible resale values. That was nearly the truth as I purchased this car for $8000. One thing to keep in mind is that I am a car dealer, and have access to wholesale auctions. I purchased it at auction from a Volvo dealership where it was traded in on a new one. I also bought it based on the specs, and what I was able to see online. So, it was entirely sight unseen besides a few small pictures. There was a tremendous amount of risk involved in that as it would have been totally possible for it to have shown up to me with a knocking engine or a slipping transmission. Also, buying a car with 181k miles on it is a risk in itself. I've always been the type of person to prefer a higher mileage car as I feel that if they were well-maintained they can be a very good value. My 01 S8 has 180k on it, and my V70R has nearly 200k on it. The thing that I just can't believe is how well the s80 has handled these miles. It has virtually no wear on it. Even the drivers seat looks nearly new. The only exception is some light rash on the front bumper and headlights.

Hopefully we can breathe some new life into this forum! :)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
$8000!? Even with the miles I consider that one hell of a deal! Obviously access to the auctions played a huge part but that's impressive nonetheless. If I came across the same deal I'd probably sell my T6 and pocket the extra cash (while also enjoying all of the upgrades).

Do you plan on doing any upgrades to the car or just leaving it as is? I didn't really do much to my car as I already like it. I updated the front grille to the 2010+ version and updated the rear emblem to the 2009+ version. I also had my DRLs deactivated and replaced my parking lights with high quality LEDs. That's pretty much it but I'm not someone who's really into heavy tuning and modification anyway. I don't even like most aftermarket wheels on cars. I did try to upgrade to xenons and add the additional interior lighting from the executive model but both of those initiatives failed.

I remember the first time I saw this generation of the S80. The tail lights are what got me. Then I saw one at a dealer with the light colored interior and matte wood and decided I had to have one. I ended up with the darker interior after discovering how easy it was to get the light one dirty but overall I'm happy with my car. Granted, I will probably be replacing it within a year and probably won't stick with Volvo but that's mostly due to the fact that I like to change cars fairly often and Volvo not offering anything I want to replace it with.

·
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have actually already installed the new style rear emblem, and I do intend on upgrading to the new style grille. I'm planning on picking up some accessories for it. I'd like to get the roof bars, rubber floor mats, rear shades, and a trunk mat eventually. I'd also like to get the newest nav discs.

Your comments about your LED signals reminded me about this auction that I saw on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Qualit...pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

These look pretty neat, even though they're likely Chinese.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I bought the Volvo rubber floor mats and while they're nothing special they certainly work. I didn't get a truck may because I have the organizer thing that pops up and I considered buying roof bars but opted not to since I won't be keeping the car much longer.

There was another thread about adding LEDs like this to the car and I was pretty skeptical about it but the implementation worked a lot better than I expected.

With those however you'd lose the continuity of the lower grille pieces. The silver usually runs all the way across and you still have the honeycomb type pattern that is matched with the center lower grille. You lose both with those but it does look like an easy implementation. I wonder what you plug them into....

·
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought the Volvo rubber floor mats and while they're nothing special they certainly work. I didn't get a truck may because I have the organizer thing that pops up and I considered buying roof bars but opted not to since I won't be keeping the car much longer.

There was another thread about adding LEDs like this to the car and I was pretty skeptical about it but the implementation worked a lot better than I expected.

With those however you'd lose the continuity of the lower grille pieces. The silver usually runs all the way across and you still have the honeycomb type pattern that is matched with the center lower grille. You lose both with those but it does look like an easy implementation. I wonder what you plug them into....
I ordered rubber mats, rear side window shades, roof bars, and 2012 Nav discs this evening. I can't wait to install everything!

I have to say this again: This car is absolutely incredible. Volvo has really upped the quality of their cars in the last few years, when I've noticed it seems like other European manufacturers tend to be cutting corners. I literally have no complaints about the car. Well, just a small one. I don't like how you can't access certain menus when the car is moving. I do, however, realize the reasoning behind this, and I can't really fault Volvo for it. The stereo system has a very odd EQ curve when set flat. Tons of bass and very little treble. I'm certain with some tweaking of the EQ I should be able to get it ironed out.

The next things I want to get are the grille with the big ironmark, a pair of C pillar crests from an executive, a shade for the back window, and a rubber trunk mat. Once I have that stuff, I think it'll be right where I want it. I couldn't bring myself to spend that much money in one shot. (Not to mention the fact that my "significant other" would murder me and stuff my body in the trunk of said car) So I decided to break it up into a couple of orders.

·
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One more thing that I forgot to mention. Strangely, when I picked up the car, it had no "VOLVO" emblem on the trunk. It was definitely not there for a very long time judging by the paint condition. There was absolutely no indication of the emblem having been there. I picked up the new style emblem from my local dealer and installed it. Which, by the way, was not very easy. It took a lot of measuring and placement to get it just right.

·
Registered
719 Posts
That is a fine looking specimen for the mileage. the mods to my 09 are fairly mundane as well, rubber mats, window tint, rear shades, front splash guards, factory Ipod integration, LED conversion for all interior lights and the front accent lights (inspired by bd). I do plan on adding the IPD rear sway bar (a member with an XC60 stated it is well worth the coin) and due to a small dent a rear lip spoiler.
I love the Venators, I was considering three different S80s, all with about the same mileage and the one I purchased had them and was chosen because of them.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
One more thing that I forgot to mention. Strangely, when I picked up the car, it had no "VOLVO" emblem on the trunk. It was definitely not there for a very long time judging by the paint condition. There was absolutely no indication of the emblem having been there. I picked up the new style emblem from my local dealer and installed it. Which, by the way, was not very easy. It took a lot of measuring and placement to get it just right.
That's odd that it came without a rear emblem. Perhaps the original owner removed it right after they bought it. When I took my old one off there was still a bit of ghosting but you'd be hard pressed to see it. Tried to get it fixed but would have just damaged the paint in the process.

I didn't think applying it was that difficult though. I just measured left to right to make sure it was centered and then removed the backing (I used masking tape on the top to hold it in place while I flipped it up and removed the backing). Maybe I just got lucky and should have been more careful!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Congratulations

Looks like you found a great buy. These have to be one of the best used car buys out there. I paid $16,500 for a 72,000 mile 07. Where else can you get this much content, safety, luxury, and performance for this amount of money? I recommend you change out all drive train fluids including the Haldex unit and filter given the mileage you have unless you can verify it already has been done.

I have had many, many cars over the years, and this one is absolutely my favorite. The V8 burble when you start the car always makes me smile, as well as the sweet engine and exhaust symphony you get under brisk acceleration. I changed to Nitto Motivo tires and these seem like they were engineered in concert with the suspension. They are the quietest tires I have owned, ride great, and the handling is linear and precise without being twitchy. I am delighted with the ride and handling balance on any of the three 4C settings. A fantastic car for road trips, very comfortable for four full size adults. I have an IPD rear bar that I hope to get installed in the next week or so, and based on the reviews I have read look forward to getting it in.

I also absolutely love the Dynaudio system which uses Alpine ICE power amps. I previously consulted in high end car audio and it would take a very significant investment to better this system. You should realize that the system has two equalizers. One is the standard bass/treble controls under the audio button on the right. The other is front and rear EQ located within the Menu. I found that I am most satisfied with the Menu EQ's set flat, and use the Audio-accessed bass and treble to introduce a slight bass and treble rise (about two to three clicks) to taste according to whatever program material I am listening to. The FM is good. The IPhone (i store songs using Apple lossless) is better, and the CD is best. I enjoy the Dolby or 3-channel setting the most. I will be installing a subwoofer early next year to enhance the lowest octave response, and will be posting a how-to on that.

Congrats again. Enjoy!

·
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like you found a great buy. These have to be one of the best used car buys out there. I paid $16,500 for a 72,000 mile 07. Where else can you get this much content, safety, luxury, and performance for this amount of money? I recommend you change out all drive train fluids including the Haldex unit and filter given the mileage you have unless you can verify it already has been done.

I have had many, many cars over the years, and this one is absolutely my favorite. The V8 burble when you start the car always makes me smile, as well as the sweet engine and exhaust symphony you get under brisk acceleration. I changed to Nitto Motivo tires and these seem like they were engineered in concert with the suspension. They are the quietest tires I have owned, ride great, and the handling is linear and precise without being twitchy. I am delighted with the ride and handling balance on any of the three 4C settings. A fantastic car for road trips, very comfortable for four full size adults. I have an IPD rear bar that I hope to get installed in the next week or so, and based on the reviews I have read look forward to getting it in.

I also absolutely love the Dynaudio system which uses Alpine ICE power amps. I previously consulted in high end car audio and it would take a very significant investment to better this system. You should realize that the system has two equalizers. One is the standard bass/treble controls under the audio button on the right. The other is front and rear EQ located within the Menu. I found that I am most satisfied with the Menu EQ's set flat, and use the Audio-accessed bass and treble to introduce a slight bass and treble rise (about two to three clicks) to taste according to whatever program material I am listening to. The FM is good. The IPhone (i store songs using Apple lossless) is better, and the CD is best. I enjoy the Dolby or 3-channel setting the most. I will be installing a subwoofer early next year to enhance the lowest octave response, and will be posting a how-to on that.

Congrats again. Enjoy!
I have been listening to the Sirius, and that really was the main issue with the audio. I tried a CD today, and it sounded incredible. I don't know what the bitrate is on sirius, but it is awful. The selection of programming is great, but the audio quality seems to get worse with every passing year. I think that as they add more channels, they decrease the bitrate of the current channels to add the extra content. I don't remember it being as bad 10 years ago.

I completely agree with you about the value for money in this car. I too have had a lot of cars, mostly european luxury cars, and none have even come close to this car in terms of value. The features this car has are nothing short of amazing. I have had the car now for about 5 days and have already put 1000 miles on it. It still performs like it's a brand new car. I think this is excellent news for others on this forum who intend to have their S80 for a long time. Given the mileage my car has, it's clear that they are extremely durable. Even the active safety features which arent quite proven yet.

Thank you for the recommendation on the tires. The car currently has Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires. I had these on my last car (Audi A6 4.2 Quattro), and they were very good as far as performance was concerned, however the tread began to separate from the rest of the tire. It must have been some manufacturing defect, but Michelin denied that. I switched to Continental DWS tires after that which I LOVED. I have Pirelli P Zero Nero tires on my S8 which I only bought because the Continentals were backordered. They too have been fantastic. I plan on replacing the tires on the Volvo soon as I don't have a lot of faith in those Michelins given what happened with my last set.

·
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh, and about the emblem installation, I think the main issue is I might be a little too obsessive compulsive about it. I was spending so much time just trying to get it exactly right. I probably could have just measured once and slapped it on there, but I'm too neurotic for that. ;)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I will be installing a subwoofer early next year to enhance the lowest octave response, and will be posting a how-to on that.
Am I right in assuming that installing a sub will only increase the bass response as opposed to moving it from the regular speakers like a crossover? I don't have the dynaudio system but have been pleasantly surprised with the amount of bass I get from the regular system. The only problem is that it is very easy to overwhelm the door speakers and the grilles will start to rattle which is annoying. I thought about researching a way to add a sub but figured adding a sub wouldn't do anything to help the door speakers since they'd still get and respond to the same signal.

As a side note, the regular stereo in the S80 far exceeds the stereos I've heard in a couple BMWs and Audis. I've never heard the base system in the 5 series but the base system in the 3/1 is terrible. Dynaudio would be great but I'm still happy with what I've got.

·
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Volvos have always had the best stereo systems of any European cars. It has been this way for the last 15 to 20 years at least. I'm not certain why that is, but it's definitely the case. BMWs systems are the worst by far. I had a 7 Series at one point, and I couldnt believe that a $70,000 car could have such an awful stereo.

With the Dynaudio, I have been having issues with my door panels rattling. I've been working on ironing that out, though. When I track down all of them, I will post about where they were and how I fixed them.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Car looks great. Welcome to the forum.
I have had my S80 for close to a year now, I'm at 60k with no problems so far.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Volvos have always had the best stereo systems of any European cars. It has been this way for the last 15 to 20 years at least. I'm not certain why that is, but it's definitely the case. BMWs systems are the worst by far. I had a 7 Series at one point, and I couldnt believe that a $70,000 car could have such an awful stereo.

With the Dynaudio, I have been having issues with my door panels rattling. I've been working on ironing that out, though. When I track down all of them, I will post about where they were and how I fixed them.
On my car specifically the front driver side speaker grille and the plastic plate around the window switches is what rattles.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Am I right in assuming that installing a sub will only increase the bass response as opposed to moving it from the regular speakers like a crossover? I don't have the dynaudio system but have been pleasantly surprised with the amount of bass I get from the regular system. The only problem is that it is very easy to overwhelm the door speakers and the grilles will start to rattle which is annoying. I thought about researching a way to add a sub but figured adding a sub wouldn't do anything to help the door speakers since they'd still get and respond to the same signal.

As a side note, the regular stereo in the S80 far exceeds the stereos I've heard in a couple BMWs and Audis. I've never heard the base system in the 5 series but the base system in the 3/1 is terrible. Dynaudio would be great but I'm still happy with what I've got.
The sub basically should augment the system only in the lowest octaves. With the right amp you can change the crossover or transition point between the stock system and the sub so that they essentially overlap. So then you could dial down the bass in the stock system to eliminate the distortion and rattling, and let the subwoofer handle those frequencies instead, giving you better quality bass in the range your stock system is struggling with, while extending the bass lower than the stock system can reproduce with any authority as well.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Shake, rattle, and rock and roll

For those who have issues with rattles, a few recommendations..

There is product called ensolite that is used by car audio folks to insulate rattles. Search on ensolite.

I have also used an aluminum-backed self-adhesive foam product that is available at Lowes or Home Depot in the HVAC section with good results though I often strip off the aluminum and use only the foam.

If you don't have a large surface to deal with I have also used the 2" wide self-adhesive foam tape, commonly used to put a topper on a pickup truck, which is available in the weather stripping section with good results as well. Just takes a little experimentation, observation, and patience to get a good result. :cool:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts