SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined the Vovo club again, having purchased a 2004 S60R on Saturday. This is my first Volvo since I sold my 71 142EO in 1981. I was looking for a replacement DD for my 99 Ford SVT Contour bought new, and now with 178K on the clock, and getting a bit long in the tooth. I came across this car, and remembered reading about them when they first came out, went to look, test drove, and fell in love.

It's box stock, one owner, and 93K miles. Looks to have been well maintained. Since I'm new to the post millenium Volvos, I'll probably be spending some time here learning. Please excuse the stupid questions. I found this board from a tip by someone on the Pelican Parts Porsche forum. Yes, I've got a car problem, and have a 69 and a 72 911's. So, as if I need something else to spend money on...here we go into R land.

Some pics of the new adventure...

Couple of questions...are the graphite colored wheels original, or repaints? Do these cars use a cartridge oil filter, as I've seen looking at maintenance parts and pricing, or a spin-on?

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
cartridge oil filter. iPD sales a set of 10 for a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
2004 S60R 6M - 2006 V70R 6M - 2014 XC60 R-Design OSD - 2015.5 XC70 T6 Platinum
1,796 Posts
The driver's seat looks to be in real good condition for 93K. Save your floor mats. Replace them with a set of OEM rubber floor mats.

I agree about the wheels. The color looks too dark to be original TiGrey.

BTW... Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to Swedespeed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow...3 replies. I'm overwhelmed by the warm welcome. Thanks, Penguin. And thanks for answering my questions ions & polestar.

So what did I do wrong...post in the R forum before the new members forum? Or just judged a prick because I'm a Porsche owner? Or worries that I'm going to spring all sorts of "I don't know how to fix this problem" questions?

I think i'll just shut up and lurk, and try again in the future.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Welcome, and a nice R for 93k! No need to get defensive, your thread probably got pushed to the bottom. It happens. Your questions have been answered , but if you have anymore just post them up. Sometimes the forum can be slow. Just remember that most members here work long hours to keep their R running so forum time can be minimal.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Wow...3 replies. I'm overwhelmed by the warm welcome. Thanks, Penguin. And thanks for answering my questions ions & polestar.

So what did I do wrong...post in the R forum before the new members forum? Or just judged a prick because I'm a Porsche owner? Or worries that I'm going to spring all sorts of "I don't know how to fix this problem" questions?

I think i'll just shut up and lurk, and try again in the future.
No problem. Welcome to the forum, some people are anal around here, some not so much. Don't let it get too ya :)

Oil changes for these car's are really easy which is a good thing. 0w30 Euro Castrol full synthetic is a good oil and also Mobil 0w30 full synthetic is also a good oil, usually around 5.5/5.6qts gets me half way on the dipstick. Manhle oil filters are usually prefered around these forums but I have also used WIX filters from the local auto place and really don't see a difference between the 2.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Welcome! Lol, you didn't do anything wrong - the R Forum ebbs and flows, some days there's not much activity. CaR looks clean, it's Electric Silver/Nordkap, btw. Be sure to check that the "exhaust bracket of death" has been removed, it can damage the prop shaft if the car bottoms out. Now go adjust those headlight wipers! :p

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Here's 3 of the wheel colors. chrome not shown.

Car looks nice, GL hope you only have positive post on SS.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Welcome, dafischer -

It's nice to see a new member who actually starts-out with:
-Location (nice to know whereabouts you're located)
-Pic of car (refer to the "Camry Rule"...)
-Description of car in yer Signature Line

Having had experience with Porsche ownership - you might actually be one of few who think that R-Ownership / Maintenance is "cheap".
(It's a really nice car - the 'R is one of the best all-around balances of practicality / sportiness / luxury that I can think of. Yours is a particularly nice example of an '04 - but be forewarned that there are all sorts of four-figure potential time bombs lurking in the drivetrain and suspension. If you're realistic about it, you won't be too surprised when one of these happens.)

Happy driving!

(P.S. Be careful when waxing the car around those textured black trim pieces - getting the wax off of them is a BEE-OTCH! [ask me how I know?])

·
Registered
935 Posts
Welcome to SS

Good looking ride you got there. Try forever black if the black side moldings start getting the zebra look, works wonders and lasts.

Pics of the Porsches please :). I came from a 84' 944 with 60K original miles. Loved that car but wasn't too good in the snow! Gl with the SR. Take care of her and hopeful she'll return the favor

·
6,436 Posts
welcome to the forum

need a hug?

with all seriousness, the car looks clean - nice find.
We've had a lot of new owners lately that's why the lack of enthusiasm

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Guys, that's what I was looking for. Some good info in your posts. I'm a total newbie to this model, so it's going to be a learning experience. No stranger to bending over, grabbing my wallet, and coughing, though. I can do most work myself, but what I can't can be done by one of our clients, who works very reasonably, and is the only person I trust to work on our vehicles. What I've learned...wheels are repanted, too dark. Meh...I can live with it. Question... what has to be adjusted with the headlight wipers? I'll do a search on the "exhaust bracket o' death" to see what's involved there. I'm not planning on beating it, just keeping the carbon cleaned out, so hopefully that might mitigate some potential bites in the ass. I know, I know,...wishful thinking!!

Thanks for the welcome all.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I put a hyperlink in my post showing what the EBD looks like, you can easily see if it's still on there by looking under the car near the resonator. If it's still there you can remove it, then re-install the bolts with some washers (I think the bolts are needed for the heat shield in that area). Many R owners remove the stock resonator altogether to get a little more sound out of the exhaust and to prevent another problem known as "rain squeal." For the wipers, I was referring to pulling them off and re-indexing them so the blades rest at a more level position - just being "anal."

·
Registered
113 Posts
Wow, that caR looks clean! I never did an intro post when I joined SS (had my R long before I heard of this place), so you're one better than me. When I was looking back in '07, I found a few Nordkap interior cars with 1/3 the miles of yours and every interior was beat to hell--leather was dried and cracked badly (driver's seats were the worst). So I decided to go with Gobi to maybe help "hide" its age.

Welcome!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ya know, this car was kind of a crap shoot. I bought it from a higher-end used import dealer, and there were no service records available, but by the way it drove, and the way it had been maintained, I felt that it could be a good one. Hopefully this wasn't an expensive feeling. We shall see.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For BmCR...some pics of the Porsches.

69 911T Coupe

72 911E Targa

1 - 20 of 56 Posts