SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a 04 S60R MT Silver with Nordkap interior 72K miles with the sport kit and I am very happy about the purchase. I am looking into geting the exterior trim painted silver and updating the center console to an 05+. I have owned an 850 t-5 and 98 HPT C70 and this is by far my favorite. I have usually gone with IPD for aftermarket parts but if you guys could post some other sites I might utilize in the future that would be huge. any recommendations to get me started as an R owner would also be great.

I did some research on here before buying and got one with a new angle gear and clutch slave cylinder both replaced around the 40K mile range. Also solid dealer service history.

it does have some small issues I could use some recommendations with as far as parts/repairs

• slight leak from the power-steering reservoir hose
  • Upper engine mount needs to be replaced
  • alarm horn doesn't work and the alarm service message comes up when starting the car
  • Drivers side headlight was replaced by the dealership recently leaving the passanger side looking dirty- any products that actually remove the yellow haze?
  • Also needs stock floor mats as it came with the rubber ones.

I need to get the Ipod adapter asap but for now I am working on detailing- got some Lexol for the seats as I have read great reviews on here

I flew to St Louis to buy it and then drove back to MI. I reset the MPG after filling up and back on the highway. I set the cruise around 70mph and only had to hit the brakes 3-4 times in 5-6 hours during the flat trip..still very surprised that I was able to get 29.8 MPG on the tank almost makes it hard to believe...

and of course proof its not a Camry :D

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ive read some good stuff about the poly bushings from IPD. what do you mean by alarm horn?
Volvo dealership said the the upper engine mount was broken.. is this all I need http://www.ipdusa.com/products/5034/110933-upper-engine-stabilizer-poly-bushing-kit
or does that mean I need the stabilizer mount and bracket?

As far as the alarm horn my understanding is that the alarm siren just needs to be replaced and it is a rather common issue with the 04s. The lights flash when locking the car so I am thinking I am just missing the locked chirp signal.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
the link you posted there is the stabilizer bushings. i think your dealer is probably talking about the upper engine mount which is on top of the engine.
my R does not beep or chirp when I lock it and im pretty sure none of them do. i could be wrong here though

·
Registered
45 Posts
29.8 MPG? Insane. I drive a total of 15 miles a week and my car never hits the highway. I am lucky to see 19.5 MPG average. Enjoy the R!

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Can get a new hose from Tasca parts (http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=213668) And as an R owner, you're going to LOVE Tasca parts. :) They have excellent prices and only OEM parts. Only thing to watch for is their default shipping method is UPS ground which can be slowish, though you won't be impacted as much as us R owners on the west coast that have to wait a week to get stuff from them (though the cost savings are almost always worth it.). Evolve is a good source for performance parts as well if you're planning on modding.

For the engine mount, I believe this is what you want: http://www.ipdusa.com/products/4740/111086-polyurethane-upper-engine-stabilizer-mount They also have blue ones (I believe) which are a tad softer but I can't find them at the moment.

And as mentioned, the alarm doesn't chirp or anything with the doors locked. In the past there has been some hot debate over this, but really all it takes is turning one's head to make sure the lights flash and you're good to go. I'm glad the horn doesn't honk when it locks in particular as I find that annoying and Taurus-like. :p

Not sure about the headlight as it's glass. One possibility is ordering a new lens only (I think George at ViVa carries them) but it's going to set you back around $100 from what I recall.

I personally prefer rubber floormats and have used them in all of my vehicles ever since the day I first got rubber floormats. While carpet looks nice, it just isn't as practical in a car in my opinion as rubber mats, particularly when it rains and especially when it snows. That said, missing the OEM floormats entirely would be a bit of a challenge...hopefully Ti-R can help you out there.

Welcome and enjoy the R! The sport body kit and 18" rims are a fantastic combo.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Not sure about the headlight as it's glass. One possibility is ordering a new lens only (I think George at ViVa carries them) but it's going to set you back around $100 from what I recall.
More like $400+ each for the OEM Volvo ones, and they are different too, I believe they are from the EuroSpec lights. The $100 ones are from EST and are aftermarket replacements, but they don't have the same fluting pattern.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Nice car! When I picked up my 06 R I reset the gas mileage and when i got home from Connecticut it read 30.2 MPG average. Currently it reads 24 MPG. So it will go down once you do more city driving. If you have a drill look into the 3M or Meguairs headlight restoration kit. Or I can help you find a good local detailed that does headlight restorations.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
OEM floors mats are expensive but awesome. If you want to go the cheaper route get a black set.

I have two nordkap sets if anyone wants them. Like the MAF I am selling they are collecting dust.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TI-R I will take the new ones we talked about through PM. For some reason I thought they were supposed to have R symbol embroidered.. maybe I was just thinking about the older models...Didnt they have embroidery?

Jexx- Thanks for the varification for the engine mount.. Im not sure If I need the #5 or #11 Reservoir hose.. the dealership has the number 30645081 written next to the description so hopefully i can match that as the product #.

Jstro- I have seen that walkthrough post and I really don't trust myself with paint so hopefully I can get it done professionally by a local shop for a decent price.

Rhanlamark- I do have a drill and I will look into the headlight restoration kit..thanks

anyone know my best bet for finding an 05 Center console other than ebay?

·
Registered
2004 S60R 6M - 2006 V70R 6M - 2014 XC60 R-Design OSD - 2015.5 XC70 T6 Platinum
1,791 Posts
Brian,

Congratulations on your purchase. Glad it worked out for you. Great mileage on your trip home!

Jim's (jstro) link to his painted-bumper string will give you a very good reference for painting your bumpers.

You might check with Erie Vo-Vo http://www.erievovo.com/ for a used headlight. If they have a good one in stock you might be able to save some money over the cost of a new one.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
TI-R I will take the new ones we talked about through PM. For some reason I thought they were supposed to have R symbol embroidered.. maybe I was just thinking about the older models...Didnt they have embroidery?

Jexx- Thanks for the varification for the engine mount.. Im not sure If I need the #5 or #11 Reservoir hose.. the dealership has the number 30645081 written next to the description so hopefully i can match that as the product #.

Jstro- I have seen that walkthrough post and I really don't trust myself with paint so hopefully I can get it done professionally by a local shop for a decent price.

Rhanlamark- I do have a drill and I will look into the headlight restoration kit..thanks

anyone know my best bet for finding an 05 Center console other than ebay?
Okie dokie you have my paypal.

As for consoles there are a few of them on ebay, you can also try http://www.vandsautodismantlers.com/

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
More like $400+ each for the OEM Volvo ones, and they are different too, I believe they are from the EuroSpec lights. The $100 ones are from EST and are aftermarket replacements, but they don't have the same fluting pattern.
That's good to know that--thanks. I guess in the end I'll just get that clear headlight mask that goes over all the rock chips etc. forgot the company that makes it, though.

If you have a drill look into the 3M or Meguairs headlight restoration kit. Or I can help you find a good local detailed that does headlight restorations.
Those headlight restoration kits really only work for plastic headlights, not so much for glass unfortunately.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I also did a search for engine bay cleaning and didn't see much.. What products do you use and are there any tips I should know? Mine could use some love and I would like to do it when I detail the inside this week.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Those headlight restoration kits really only work for plastic headlights, not so much for glass unfortunately.
I agree. For any glass polishing use CarPro Ceri Glass. It is a fantastic glass polish that contains cerium oxide.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts