SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I returned from a wonderful driving vacation up to Minneapolis and back home along the Mississippi River. The driving experience in our new S40 was fabulous. 1600 miles of driving pleasure.<P>Sadly, upon our return home, we were struck by a drunk driver. Fortunately for us, we were both ok. The S40 did exactly what we wanted our new car to do -- keep us safe.<P>So in the period of two weeks we got to experience all aspects of Volvo ownership: driving pleasure and vehicle safety. And in it all, Volvo has a life-long customer.<P>The repairs to the car shouldn't be too bad, as the collision was a side impact at the rear passenger side bumper. The car withstood the 40mph impact like a champ, and barring any frame damage the repairs should be easy.<P>But needless to say my wife and I are grateful for Volvo engineering. I honestly can say that after this wreck a Volvo isn't just any ordinary car.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by garvey:<BR><B>My wife and I returned from a wonderful driving vacation up to Minneapolis and back home along the Mississippi River. The driving experience in our new S40 was fabulous. 1600 miles of driving pleasure.<P>Sadly, upon our return home, we were struck by a drunk driver. Fortunately for us, we were both ok. The S40 did exactly what we wanted our new car to do -- keep us safe.<P>So in the period of two weeks we got to experience all aspects of Volvo ownership: driving pleasure and vehicle safety. And in it all, Volvo has a life-long customer.<P>The repairs to the car shouldn't be too bad, as the collision was a side impact at the rear passenger side bumper. The car withstood the 40mph impact like a champ, and barring any frame damage the repairs should be easy.<P>But needless to say my wife and I are grateful for Volvo engineering. I honestly can say that after this wreck a Volvo isn't just any ordinary car.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>I'm glad to hear that both of you are ok. Looks like the Volvo commercial paid off. That's what they've been trying ot push in the TV commercials about the X90. Nobody truly appreciates how much they paid for their Volvo until something like this happens. I did just for the peace of mind.<BR>

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's terrible that you had to experience an accident in your great new car, but I definitely know how you feel. I guess I'll add my own tale to the tons of volvo-crash-survival stories out there...<P>Only weeks after I got my S40 (my first Volvo!) bad weather struck. Sliding on slick roads with zero visibility, I went under the back of an SUV with a hanging trailer hitch. From inside the car, the slight "bonk" I felt suggested I might have a dented bumper...so you can imagine my shock when I stepped out of the car to find my radiator spraying everywhere, and the front half of my brand new baby annihilated! I wasn't happy at the time, but in retrospect, I was impressed...the bumper split and peeled artfully; the lights popped out; the hood crunched without blocking the windshield; the radiator was gone, but it sacrificed itself to save much more expensive components including my undamaged turbo and engine.<P>Once I recovered from the shock (both of having an accident and of the $13,000 repair cost!), I knew this: I'd be a Volvo lover for life. An accident bad enough to total anything but a BRAND NEW car had felt like a fender-bender from the driver's seat.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Glad everyone walked out of those incidents. <P>Garvey, just curious, when you got hit, which airbag went off if any? I guess I'm mainly curious if the side impact bags went off even though it was a hit toward the rear of the vehicle. <P>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts