SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, im a volvo owner in australia, i have a 2004 V50 T5 manual which i love ! it's had a few issues but it's still a great car to drive. the car has done 93,000 and is needing new brake rotors front and back plus 4 new shocks. im keen to get some after market rotors as well as after market shocks. I've been looking at koni yellow shocks and DBA brake rotors. Does anyone have any suggestions or personal experience with this ??

cheers

·
Registered
658 Posts
We have a few threads on Rotors & Brakes as far as installation, and in the next week, I'll be putting on EBC Rotors and Hawk HPS pads myself. One thing to be sure of, is your rotor size, as I've found out and many others, the rotor size can vary. Are you going to do the installation yourself or were you looking for brand comparisons?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheer for the reply bud ! im not looking to do the work my self, i'll have it done by my mechanic. I'll buy the brake parts and shockers and im looking at the DBA rotors and koni yellow.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
That's what I have in my garage waiting for a chuck of time to install all.

Pricey but I'm doing the work myself...

unfortunately I don't have much experience with different brands so I can't tell what will happen...

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm curious, why did you guys buy EBC rotors, aren't they wayyyy more expensive than other rotors? I ended up buying Centric rotors (< $140 total for all four). EBC Sport rotors on Amazon are like $200-$250 for just 2! After doing some research, I decided that drilled rotors would be a liability for cracking and slotted rotors result in increased pad wear while providing no performance gain because modern pad materials don't really gas.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I'm curious, why did you guys buy EBC rotors, aren't they wayyyy more expensive than other rotors? I ended up buying Centric rotors (< $140 total for all four). EBC Sport rotors on Amazon are like $200-$250 for just 2! After doing some research, I decided that drilled rotors would be a liability for cracking and slotted rotors result in increased pad wear while providing no performance gain because modern pad materials don't really gas.
According to the research I've made:
Yes drilled rotors are more prone to cracking. They are better for track with improved cooling when you don't mind changing them often... (Otherwise it's just not necessary and too high a risk).
Yes slotted rotors will wear pads faster HOWEVER they will keep the surface of the rotors flatter overtime. All of my OEM rotors have developed glazing and ridges. They still brake in emergency but got mushy during regular driving because - and I believe it to be true from hands on experience - it is harder for the pad to keep uniform braking force unless you slam on the brakes. This time around I decided to bite the bullet with wear in hope I'll get more consistent braking overtime. So improved performance? not really but the performance should remain more even in the long run.

All simply trade offs! . . .

I went with EBC because I had little options left with my 300mm rotors. When you have 320mm there are more options.
I wanted the same rotors front and back and I wanted slotted. Am I trowing money out the window . . . will see :p
EBC are manufactured in the UK and supposedly the steel is off better quality than what is coming from low cost aftermarket rotors from asia. But that's just a generality... I thought I'd try them to provide some diversity to the group. I'm willing to spend a little more on rotors... They'll last a long time (hopefully). It beats gas expenses!!! :D

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I recently installed Koni Yellows on my V50 with stock (comfort) springs. It took me a while to figure out what I had done wrong at first but now I am very pleased. The handling is a big improvement over stock. The ride is a bit firmer. This thread has info on replacing and explains the issue I was having (http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?175309-Write-Up-Front-Struts-and-Springs-Installation).

Also consider the Koni FSD. I've heard good thing about them.

For stock type (flat) rotors, Brembo and Zimmerman are good. Hawk HPS pads work very well for me with little dust.
Stan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts