SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the max size rims I can fit on a 740 that's gonna be lowered with IPD springs? Right now it has stock 205/60/15.I'm looking for some 5 spoke charcoal rims, any suggestions? I'm trying to steer away from the 17" titans that came on the 95 T5R's while they're nice I've heard of a lot of problems with them.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
19" is the largest I've seen on a 700 series, using 215/35/19. I think 18" is the largest you should consider, and 17" is really a good size for looks, performance, and cost. A 17x7.5 ET20 with 215/45/17 or 225/40/17 would fit well.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
could you reccomend a good brand of rims that are charcoal colored, and how much would the 17" from the 95 t-5R's cost me? Also, is there really a significant problem wth flats on 17" rims, I live in a semi-rural area, I drive on roads, about 98% of the time, I park in my driveway which is dirt and gravel though.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
You shouldn't have any wheel problems because of driving on dirt or gravel roads, as long as it's low speed and not covered in big rocks. If you drive on bad asphalt roads with lots of bumps, pot holes, or construction, you could easily bend a 17" wheel with a low profile tire. The 850 t-5R and 850R came with 205/45/17 tires that didn't give the wheel a lot of protection against damage. A 215/45/17 or 225/40/17 should give you a little more height to protect the wheel.

The Titan wheels from the T-5R (5 flat spokes, dark grey color) can be found used for about $700-$1000 per set in good condition w/o tires. They won't fit directly on a 740 because the offset is wrong, so you'll need to spend another $200-$300 for adapters or spacers and longer studs to fit the wheels properly.

Check out www.rimstock.com for some wheels that will directly fit your car. Team Dynamics wheels are not very expensive and the quality is pretty good considering the price. They also have an anthracite finish that they offer on some wheels.
www.victoriatire.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts