SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year's survey data has Volvo overall brand reliablity in the average range, about on par with Audi, M-B, and BMW.

Two Volvos - the XC60 and the XC90 were on the list with the 10 least reliable cars. Both were dismal.

The competition didn't do too well either - BMW X3 not a lot better, and the Q5 and GLC just average. Acura RDX and Tesla Y were also not recommended due to reliability issues.

·
Registered
571 Posts
makes you wonder when did those 'consumers' had time to drive their cars in 2020.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
makes you wonder when did those 'consumers' had time to drive their cars in 2020.
The 2019 is much worse than average and the conclusions are based on multiple years.

I'm pretty sure this is the evaporator pipe issue.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Well it does say 2021 model.
Anyway who cares

·
Registered
85 Posts
So obviously build quality varies among manufacturers, and even different models within each firm. And I know of people who've had lemons of various makes and models.

But... I really don't look at these ratings at all, except maybe as a tiebreaker. I've owned a couple of models that are considered to be unreliable, or whatever, and the fact is, I've never had a bad ownership experience with any car. I've mostly bought new, and kept a looong time. (well, lots of miles anyway). If it really matters to you, get some sort of extended warranty. I just roll the dice.

FWIW - the list:

'73 Beetle
'91 VW Jetta
'99 VW Passat Wagon
'99 MB E300TD
'01 MB E320 Wagon
'00 Toyota LC
'02 Chrysler T&C (least reliable of all my cars, and even so, mostly fine until about 80k miles)
'07 VW Eos
'11 Toyota Sienna
'14 LR4
'15 VW Touareg
'15 VW GTi
'19 Volvo XC60 T8

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 2021 is a PREDICTION based on the last three years.

CR had the best data in the industry and their analyses are flawless. This is what I do for a living and I know their analyses are top notch.

BUT... The problem rate for all vehicles is low on the first three years. Most XC60s and XC90s are having failures in that darn evaporator pipe and with premature brake wear. That's enough to skew the results and drop volvo to the bottom.

This is also not broken out by model type. I'll bet that the more complex engine in my T6 is ultimately less reliable than a T5.

I will also say that none of this will stop me from leasing another. If you purchase any of the Euro brand these days, you have to commit to relatively expensive upkeep. I had a three series that had it's issues and the Audi my sister drove basically fell apart after about five years.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
OP, this is what always happens. Every year, someone posts about CR and how Volvo rates low. Then, you have a bunch of people coming here who feel like their masculinity is being called in question and that will offer a variation on:
- old people don't know how to use software and CR surveys old people;
- oh but it is a predicted rating;
- but it is not my car/model;
- but it is not my engine type;
- but it is not my model year;
- commies are spreading fake news.

I like Volvos, but they are not reliable. We have had now four SPA cars in the family (two because of buybacks) and all had tons of problems. Most depressingly, the same problems. Mostly minor, some not. I for one do believe that the XC60 and XC90 belong among the ten least reliable vehicles in the category, as per CR. T5, T6, T8, 2016 or 2021, it really doesn't matter. They all have the same issues.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fair enough! I can't argue with any of your comments.

Thirty years of subscribing to CR - I KNOW their data are rock solid.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts