SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I don't know anything about this particular engine, but I know that in general, modern diesels use EGR and relatively high boost, which increases intake air temperatures. Combine that with the scorching temperatures of the Austrailian desert and...

·
Registered
753 Posts
If there's one thing I don't miss about my Jetta TDI was its problem plagued emissions components. The EGR filter would get clogged and trigger a CEL. If not that it was the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) which for 2009s the very first model year of a redesign meant replacing a $5000 emissions systems. Components included a NOx (Nitrous Oxide) filter and an H2S converter. It was all wired 3-in-1 for a one-piece design for 2009s. $$$ Changed on 2010s.

Diesels with Ad-Blue appear to do better than those with an NOx trap. That AdBlue would squirt DEF fluid but would require topping off its tank. MBs BlueTec probably fared better reliability-wise than VWs TDI. Those diesel cars and suvs have great torque. 40 mpgs and 600 mile tanks were common in a tiny Jetta. How they squezzed all those components into a Beetle or Golf must of been interesting.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
"Out where the river broke
The bloodwood and the desert oak
Holden wrecks and boiling diesels
Steam in forty-five degrees"

Beds are Burning, Midnight Oil, 1987

PS... 45 degrees C = 113 degrees F
I drive a Holden Commodore (aka Pontiac G8 GT), made in Queensland, Austrailia.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
All true, Highwayguy. For a while there, the technology competition in diesel engineering was between more and more EGR and DEF. It was like VHS vs. BetaMax, if you remember that. DEF eventually won despite the annoying fact that you had to keep the DEF tank full.

·
Registered
753 Posts
All true, Highwayguy. For a while there, the technology competition in diesel engineering was between more and more EGR and DEF. It was like VHS vs. BetaMax, if you remember that. DEF eventually won despite the annoying fact that you had to keep the DEF tank full.
Nice song from 1987. Those were simpler times. We got our first VCR in Queens NY in 1986, the same time we bought our first color TV. With that and finally cable TV we were able to watch MTV music videos. I was into the Australian band INXS at around that time. Rock bands were big back then.

Always liked those Pontiacs back in the day. Neighbor had a late 70s Grand Prix and one I recall on my block was a 1986 Grand Prix 2+2

·
Registered
350 Posts
It's beyond sad why they don't import those Hybrid and Diesel S60s in the US, they say diesel is not clean yet instead I see those gas guzzler trucks that generate a black cloud behind and pollute 50X as much as any of those Hybrid Diesels.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
US passenger car emissions regs have gotten so tough and expensive to meet that the automakers have pretty much thown in the towel.

The thing about over the road trucks is that they stay in service for a long time. If you saw one emitting any kind of visible smoke, was pre-2007ish.

Pay attention next time you pull up next to a modern semi. If it's relatively new, you will see a DEF tank with a blue cap, and you will not see or smell ANYTHING coming out of the exhaust stack. Notice how quiet they have become, too.

The new 6.7L Ford pickup truck diesels put out 935 ft-lbs of torque!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Diesels rock. The torque their engines can generate are prodigious...most remarkable. They’re wired completely yet complexly different. The problems become their expensive emissions components. Gone are the days of the noisy and dirty diesel. Very refined Ultra Low Emissions Sulfur Diesel ULSD was the best rocket fuel I ever bought. Propelled a $25,000 Jetta to 236 foot pounds of torque but it had this thrust which made it a blast to drive.

this is a review of the 2009 Jetta Diesel TDI I had :

https://youtu.be/4anlNwjHGIY

1 - 9 of 9 Posts