SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new in the 850 area forum. ive had my 2000 v70r for awhile now.. but always wanted a yellow R. after years of waiting, she finally fell into my lap so to speak. I actually have some history with this exact car so it does have some sentimental value.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Congrats! The yellows are the Holy-Grail 850s as far as I'm concerned.

R's are many but T-5Rs are few. Personally I wouldn't lump them in with the Rs.

What are your plans with this one?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Plan on restoring it to 100% original besides ecu tune and manual transmission. I need to source a new head for it, broken timing belt @238k. its in fairly good shape with a clean title. I got it from the original owner. :)

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Awesome! Looking forward to your progress.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Congrats on the purchase, I sorely miss my T-5R. I love P80 R's. You asked about the feasibility of swapping an M58 and AWD into the yellow, and it actually has been done by a fellow in UK. The thread is on Turbobricks of all places. No custom driveline needed, but the additional mounts and braces he used are likely no longer available. Regardless, good luck with the car, I'll share my yellow-rescue pic next time I'm on the computer. I'll update with the TB thread too if I can.

·
Registered
14,366 Posts
Congrats on the new to you yellow.

I got mine three months ago and love it. Had been half seriously looking for several years and finally decided to take the plunge - so glad I did.

·
Super Moderator
15,197 Posts
Awesome! If you don't mind me asking... How much did you spend for it?
Every used one I've found for sale has been upwards of $4k, and I'm just not interested in spending that much money for a 20 year old car that will need work. But if I can find one for less than $2k... I'll take it.

·
Super Moderator
15,197 Posts
less than the cost of a playstation ;) with a clean title and two sets of wheels :beer:
Saw your original post... Why can't I find this kind of deal?!?!?!

There's a nice T5R 5 minutes from my work. I see it all the time but have yet to meet the owner. It has some rust, it has some black body panels, but it appears to run well. A little money and it could be back to OEM+
I want it so badly...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Saw your original post... Why can't I find this kind of deal?!?!?!

There's a nice T5R 5 minutes from my work. I see it all the time but have yet to meet the owner. It has some rust, it has some black body panels, but it appears to run well. A little money and it could be back to OEM+
I want it so badly...
Leave a friendly note on it, who knows maybe it would work in your favor!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
ok so the motor has like 230k on it with a broken timing belt. i have access to a picknpull with a wide variety of volvos. what would be the "ideal" engine to swap into it? i could just get a head off a 95 turbo thats out there but i wouldnt mind something newer to build ground up.

my question is any year or make that i should pull a 5cyl out of? whats the best one to look for and build. thanks

ps. i dont plan on driving this car any time soon. its getting a full resto along with a manual swap.

im looking for around 400bhp

·
Registered
921 Posts
I've been doing the trim on my 850 with Forever Black and have had good results so far.

The trick is to really thoroughly clean the trim, ideally with a scouring pad and a rubber cleaner, (such as Griots) or rubbing alcohol (be careful not to get it on the paint). The better you clean the trim the better the results will be. Then do a final cleaning with the detergent that comes with forever black.

Then do multiple coats of Forever black, allowing the dye to soak in and fully dry between coats. My bumper rubber took about 4 coats really to really look good. Also, on the front bumper it helps a lot to remove the plastic strips below the headlights before you start.

Supposedly if you take the time and do the prep, it can last for years before needing a re-dye. Either way, it looks amazing in the short term so far. Works great on the door handles too.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Forever black does not last. If you want something permanent, go with Showroom New. It comes in grey (OEM color) or black.

·
Registered
921 Posts
From what I've read Forever Black and Showroom New are basically the same thing - a silicone-free black dye for plastics, as opposed to the silicone-based "protectants" like Armor-All, Mother's Back to Black, etc. Not that silicone-based products can't be good, some of the expensive ones like "Black Wow" can last quite a while. But dyes are where it's at for a real long-lasting look on faded bumpers. I just picked Forever Black cause it is available on Amazon, but I'm sure Showroom New would be fine if you can find a place that sells it (I can't).

According to the reviews I read of both products, what really matters for plastic dying is how much cleaning and prep you do, and how many coats you put on. According to the reviews, both Forever Black and Showroom New can last for years with good prep and allowing it to dry between the application of several coats, and both can last for only few months if applied with no prep and/or few coats.

EDIT: I should say, one of the advantages of Showroom New is that they do make some different colors, so if you really want to restore the stock "dark grey" trim back to grey, instead of black, then that is the one to go with. There are some pictures of the gray here: http://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/restoring-trim-original-grey-color-28339/

So far I'm satisfied with Forever Black, even though it's a bit darker than the stock gray. But because it's gray plastic, Forever Black doesn't dye it fully black, just really dark gray. Before, gray (Armor All, a few days after application) vs. After (bumper and tailgate handle with Forever Black a few days after application)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.