SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got a new to me s60R about a month ago now. Its a 2007 with 125,000 miles and has the auto trans.

I drove it about 1000 miles past it’s recommended oil change and started getting an issue of no oil pressure under 1000rpms after driving for 1+ hrs in stop and go traffic on hot days.

No other major issues were noticed in the 1st month of ownership.

So today I dropped the oil pan to see what was causing the issues. I found 2 washers in the oil pan/lower engine. And ALOT of sludge lining the pan. Cleaned it all out replaced all the gaskets with ones from the volvo kit. I checked the PCV hole and it was clean as a whistle.

https://i.imgur.com/VVndcFB.jpg

Also looked for play in the bearings no play. Anyways I buttoned it back up and refilled it with oil.

Took it out for a 25 minute drive no issues what so ever, did a few hard pulls everything seemed fine. Parked it for about 25 min then took it home. On the way home the car started shifting very weird. Very hard shifts even got the wheels to squeal on the pavement from the shift.

I get home and park it and look to see if any oil is leaking. Instantly see that the radiator is leaking blue coolant all over the floor. It was leaking from the top of the radiator. No oil leaks at all.

I am very confused where this came from. I did remove the transmission mount to get at the oil pan and the smaller side was very loose, but that wouldn’t cause hard shifts? As for the coolant my best guess is that the oil cooler is getting much better flow now and there was already weak spot in the radiator.

Any suggestions? I think I’m going to clean the throttle body tomorrow and see if that fixes anything and also patch up the leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Cleaning the throttle body will not help. The flow in the coolant system has nothing to do with the oil cooler being clogged or not.

You need VIDA to see what codes may be there for the transaxle. There are a lot of things that make a hard shift...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so today i took the airbox out and inspected the source of the leak. It appears to be the top corner of the radiator but I couldn’t pinpoint it.

Then i scanned the car with vida and discovered the tcm code 0032 i cleared it and everything drives fine now, no leaks.

My best guess to the leak is that the car shifted so hard that something gave under pressure.

Next weekend i am going to do a full trans flush with 14 quarts and hopefully that will preserve the valve body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts