SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
......but what about the insane vibration you will prob. get?? I know one of the customer ?'s at the bottom is about vibration, but still......

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Q: Will the QBM P2 S60/S80/V70/XC90 Strut Bar Conversion affect my idle, or transmit more engine vibration to the cabin?
A: No, idle quality is not affected and there is no difference in cabin vibration.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Re: (gdogg16)

Well like me and others that have upgraded the upper engine and QBM busings, now instead of having the slight flex of that bar, it is now solidly mounted to the car, so there is no flex or bushings to absorb the vibration.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts

Quote, originally posted by gdogg16 »

Why would there be vibration? The engine bushing is still there.

Seems like as long as you had the factory bushing, it would still be tolerable. Let's face it, though, the engine (and the rest of the powertrain) mounts to that bar through the two upper bushings, and then goes into the chassis through the bar, so there is going to be SOME increase in vibration. Whether it's tolerable or not is another question.

·
Premium Member
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (s60rdood)

Quote, originally posted by s60rdood »
Well like me and others that have upgraded the upper engine and QBM busings, now instead of having the slight flex of that bar, it is now solidly mounted to the car, so there is no flex or bushings to absorb the vibration.
are you reffering to the bar end bushings as QBM bushings or are you talking about a Quick Brick Motorsports product?

·
Registered
764 Posts

Yea, the bar end bushings, and upper big and small motor mounts, and small lower bushing......sorry about that, doing quite a bit of multi-tasking here.

·
Premium Member
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (needsdecaf)

Quote, originally posted by needsdecaf »

Seems like as long as you had the factory bushing, it would still be tolerable. Let's face it, though, the engine (and the rest of the powertrain) mounts to that bar through the two upper bushings, and then goes into the chassis through the bar, so there is going to be SOME increase in vibration. Whether it's tolerable or not is another question.
Well, if you are modding a car and want optimal performance, you're going to have to make sacrifices with comfort.. If you're not willing to accept that, don't mod.

·
Registered
764 Posts

And I totally understand that, but for them to say that there is absolutely no increase in cabin vibration, I gotta throw the BS Flag for that.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts

Well, if you are modding a car and want optimal performance, you're going to have to make sacrifices with comfort.. If you're not willing to accept that, don't mod.

Exactly, which is why I said that whether it's tolerable or not is another question. It completely depends on what type of comfort you are willing to sacrifice for the performance. Sometimes it just isn't worth it. It's a personal preference, after all, and there are different levels of modding that one can achieve without sacrificing too much comfort. It's not always so black and white. Some mods give huge performance gains with very little sacrifice in comfort. Some are the opposite.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts

Have you tried them yet? If not, you can't really say anything can you?

I have not tried them, obviously, but I can say without a doubt that even the little bushing inserts from Powerflex increased the vibration, with the stock engine mount attached. And there's still a lot of flex there. So I would have to say that the soild mounts would have to have more vibration than stock. I can also attest that the stock engine bar, equipped this way, would make a hell of a strut bar brace. That thing is HEAVY.

However, I'd defintiely be willing to give those a try. They look sharp. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif I bet they'd work well with the stock large bushing.

·
Super Moderator
14,847 Posts
so we are basically converting this stock bar to something similar to the VST support brace?

I like the idea. I am sure there will be a little more vibration, but like gdogg said, the engine bushing is still there to absorb it. Now if you get these new pieces AND the new engine bushing, then you will experience some nice vibration.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Re: (needsdecaf)

Nice video demostration on the site. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Re: (I Roll)

Ok has anyone actually tried this thing and can comment on it? It's a pretty clever idea and about 1/4 the cost of the VST strut bar.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
In terms of strut tower braces, which this is effectively a "converion" for, what are the benefits of a strut tower brace on our R cars?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts