SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my R has been abit funny recently, the car seems to boosting and then cutting boost for a fraction of a second, then boosting again, feels weird as revs climb, also , was pushing it hard the turbo has been shutting itself down, u lose all boost, then starts to work again after a while.<p>anyway, garage have found the turbo control valve to be at fault<p>anyone else had this problem before?, or am i the 1st again??<p>can anyone explain how and wot the turbo control does?<p>cheers<br>dave

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Re: New Problem - Turbo control valve? (daves60r)

That boost solenoid, which is on the side of the airbox, is a known failure item.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>daves60r</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">can anyone explain how and wot the turbo control does?</TD></TR></TABLE><br>Your turbocharger has a wastegate. The wastegate controls turbo shaft speed and hence boost. Boost pressure acts upon the wastegate diaphram to open it. The solenoid controls how much pressure the wastegate actually "sees" and thus how much boost the engine sees. The solenoid responds to commands from the ECU.<p>And the kneebone is connected to thigh bone, etc.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: New Problem - Turbo control valve? (JimLill)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>JimLill</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That boost solenoid, which is on the side of the airbox, is a known failure item. </TD></TR></TABLE><p>thats odd, cos whatever they are changing, they said it was near/or on the turbo itself, they were complaing it was a bugger to get to, etc, etc<p>odd!<p>

·
Registered
1,789 Posts

I had the same problem. You also have a chance of getting a bad one as your replacement, as the quality control on these are very poor. I have had as many as three replaced until they got a good one. oclv

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Re: New Problem - Turbo control valve? (oclv)

sorry, I guess what I meant to say is that if it doesn't fix the problem, and they say the problem is not the turbo boost control valve because it was just replaced, it may still be your problem. oclv

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts

If they are replacing the wastegate, then yes... it is tough. But I will bet that that the issue is the boost solenoid which I bet I could change with my eyes closed by now.<p>

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thats the turbo control valve fixed on ma car, by god wot a difference!, it has improved the car bigtime, far faster, butt dyno says 30% better acceration<p>they said it was a valve on the turbo, must have been something to do with waste gate??<p>anyway im very pleased with result!

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Re: (daves60r)

There are 2 valves on the turbo....<p>Failure of either spoils boost....<p>Wastegate is a mechanical valve that controls the exhaust and it is controlled by the electro-valve called the boost solenoid I mentioned about<p>CBV is a bypass on the intake... it and its control are purely mechanical

·
Registered
1,814 Posts

Did your problem throw any codes? I have similar symptoms, but I thought it was the 91 octane gas I use.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Re: New Problem - Turbo control valve? (JimLill)

Jim,<p>That boost solenoid must be the cause of my part-time power as well. <br>Do you have a P/N and rough price?<p>senilesurfer

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Re: New Problem - Turbo control valve? (senilesurfer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>senilesurfer</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Jim,<p>That boost solenoid must be the cause of my part-time power as well. <br>Do you have a P/N and rough price?<p>senilesurfer</TD></TR></TABLE><p><A HREF="http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=51264" TARGET="_blank">http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=51264</A>

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (Helmut Ranff)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Helmut Ranff</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dave<p>Was it the boost solenoid ?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>no, i dont think so, the garage changed a control valve on the turbo, maybe something to do with waste gate on turbo??<p>wot other control valves actully sit on or in the turbo itself??<p>dave

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Re: (daves60r)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>daves60r</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wot other control valves actully sit on or in the turbo itself??<p>dave</TD></TR></TABLE><p>see above

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Re: (Helmut Ranff)

Can be 3 things,<p>Wastegate actuator<br>Recirculation valve<br>Boost solenoid<p>I'm not aware the first 2 are serviceable items.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts